How to deal with a 6.4 GB harddisk

Post by Klaus Voelke » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I recently installed a new 6.4 GB hard disk (Quantum Fireball) on my
Linux system (Redhat 5.2 with 2.0.38 Kernel).  I created several Linux
partitions, and a 2.5 MB partition to use under Win95.  Obviously I was
not careful enough about the tricky issues concerning multiple operating
systems on a single large disk: each time I use Linux, my Win95
partition becomes unusable, and when I write to the Windows partition,
my last Linux partition gets messed up.

The information I found in the HowTo's was not very helpful, so can
anybody send me detailed instructions on how to cope with the problem
(please mail them to me directly), or point me to a good source of
documentation?  I'd be very grateful!

Klaus

How to deal with a 6.4 GB harddisk

Post by Klaus Voelke » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Me again.  I just noticed I left out some important info:  I first tried to
partition the drive using Disk Druid, which would refuse to install the
first partition, giving an 'unspecified error'.  So I switched to fdisk.
When using fdisk's 'verify partition table' option, it complained about
overlapping partitions.  Does that mean adjacent partitions share a
cylinder, and is it necessarily bad?  Anyways, I chose to ignore these
warnings, and the Linux system works well, as long as I don't access the
Win95 partitions.

Klaus

> Hi all,

> I recently installed a new 6.4 GB hard disk (Quantum Fireball) on my
> Linux system (Redhat 5.2 with 2.0.38 Kernel).  I created several Linux
> partitions, and a 2.5 MB partition to use under Win95.  Obviously I was
> not careful enough about the tricky issues concerning multiple operating
> systems on a single large disk: each time I use Linux, my Win95
> partition becomes unusable, and when I write to the Windows partition,
> my last Linux partition gets messed up.

> The information I found in the HowTo's was not very helpful, so can
> anybody send me detailed instructions on how to cope with the problem
> (please mail them to me directly), or point me to a good source of
> documentation?  I'd be very grateful!

> Klaus

1. LILO setup on a 6.4 Gb

Hi there,

I've a 6.4 Gb HD with the following partitions:

  - hda1: WIN98 (5 Gb)
  - hda2: Linux Swap (64 Mb)
  - hda3: Linux Native (1.3 Gb)

When I try to install LILO, I have the following
message: "Too many cylinders on your disk".

Is there a solution to this problem ?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Pierre-Marie.

2. Sun Workshop 4.2

3. Problem with Quantum Bigfoot 6.4 Gb

4. installp versus packages

5. Linux + Win95 on 6.4 GB HD

6. no type memory declaration

7. Solaris 2.4 and 6.4 GB Quantum Fireball format

8. how do you find the pid of a used port

9. old bios doesn't c 6.4 gb hard drive

10. ?? Best 6.4-7.2 GB HD (IDE) ??

11. 6.4 GB IDE Drives

12. Fdisk 15 GB harddisk gets 1 GB ?