IDE Tape Install Info

Post by Wayne Vagtbor » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Anyone know where I can get some information or HOWTO/FAQ on
installing and using a HP Colorado 8Gb IDE tape drive with
RH 6.2 - just want to be able to tar/cpio/dump to the tape.
OS recognizes that the tape drive is present - hdd - but I
can't get it configured.  Sure could use some good advice.

IDE Tape Install Info

Post by Doc Shiple » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Anyone know where I can get some information or HOWTO/FAQ on
> installing and using a HP Colorado 8Gb IDE tape drive with
> RH 6.2 - just want to be able to tar/cpio/dump to the tape.
> OS recognizes that the tape drive is present - hdd - but I
> can't get it configured.  Sure could use some good advice.

 You'll need the ide-tape module loaded. Depending on your distro, you
can probably just "modprobe ide-tape". The drive may show up as
/dev/hdX, but to use tar, mt, dump, etc, it's referred to as /dev/ht0.
 You can check operation, rewind, erase, or whatever with "mt", as in
"mt -f /dev/ht0 status".

--
 Doc Shipley
   Network Stuff

IDE Tape Install Info

Post by bullwinkl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Anyone know where I can get some information or HOWTO/FAQ on
> > installing and using a HP Colorado 8Gb IDE tape drive with
> > RH 6.2 - just want to be able to tar/cpio/dump to the tape.
> > OS recognizes that the tape drive is present - hdd - but I
> > can't get it configured.  Sure could use some good advice.

>  You'll need the ide-tape module loaded. Depending on your distro, you
> can probably just "modprobe ide-tape". The drive may show up as
> /dev/hdX, but to use tar, mt, dump, etc, it's referred to as /dev/ht0.
>  You can check operation, rewind, erase, or whatever with "mt", as in
> "mt -f /dev/ht0 status".

> --
>  Doc Shipley
>    Network Stuff
>       Austin, Earth

   Doc gave you some good information.  I have a 20g HP Colorado EIDE
tape drive on a RH6.2 system.  You should have everything you need if you
had any ide devices detected during the install.  You probably want to use
/dev/nht0 (non-rewinding) when you do any back-ups.

IDE Tape Install Info

Post by Martin Fitzpatric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You'll need to check your kernel version, I think.Off the top of my head,  I
think you need at least 2.2.13 - but I remember I downloaded 2.2.15, so
perhaps you should try that. When I downloaded and built it, it still didn't
build the device drivers for me, I had to run a separate script to do that.
Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it, but it was
MAKEDEV.<something-or-other> - try a 'find / -name "MAKEDEV.*"

I did read a good HOWTO on all this, which I think was something like
ide-tap.HOWTO, but the base ide HOWTO makes a good starting point.

You'll also need to understand how to build the new options for the tape
drive into your kernel, so you'll need to read the kernel HOWTO as well.
You'll need this to install and build your new kernel anyway.

Have fun ! While you're recompiling the kernel, remember to optimise it for
your processor, it's probably built for i386 at present (unless you've been
through before) and you could see some performance gain from that alone.

Regards,
Martin.

> > > Anyone know where I can get some information or HOWTO/FAQ on
> > > installing and using a HP Colorado 8Gb IDE tape drive with
> > > RH 6.2 - just want to be able to tar/cpio/dump to the tape.
> > > OS recognizes that the tape drive is present - hdd - but I
> > > can't get it configured.  Sure could use some good advice.

> >  You'll need the ide-tape module loaded. Depending on your distro, you
> > can probably just "modprobe ide-tape". The drive may show up as
> > /dev/hdX, but to use tar, mt, dump, etc, it's referred to as /dev/ht0.
> >  You can check operation, rewind, erase, or whatever with "mt", as in
> > "mt -f /dev/ht0 status".

> > --
> >  Doc Shipley
> >    Network Stuff
> >       Austin, Earth

>    Doc gave you some good information.  I have a 20g HP Colorado EIDE
> tape drive on a RH6.2 system.  You should have everything you need if you
> had any ide devices detected during the install.  You probably want to use
> /dev/nht0 (non-rewinding) when you do any back-ups.

> --

1. Too much debug info from ide-tape

        Hi Marcelo.

        This little patch removes too much DEBUG info from
drivers/ide/ide-tape.c. This is for vanilla 2.4.18.

--alfredo

diff -ur linux-2.4.18/drivers/ide/ide-tape.c linux-2.4.18new/drivers/ide/ide-tape.c
--- linux-2.4.18/drivers/ide/ide-tape.c Fri Dec 21 18:41:54 2001

        idetape_tape_t *tape = drive->driver_data;
        idetape_read_position_result_t *result;

-//#if IDETAPE_DEBUG_LOG
-//     if (tape->debug_level >= 4)
+#if IDETAPE_DEBUG_LOG
+       if (tape->debug_level >= 4)
                printk (KERN_INFO "ide-tape: Reached idetape_read_position_callback\n");
-//#endif /* IDETAPE_DEBUG_LOG */
+#endif /* IDETAPE_DEBUG_LOG */

        if (!tape->pc->error) {

        idetape_pc_t pc;
        int position;

-//#if IDETAPE_DEBUG_LOG
-//        if (tape->debug_level >= 4)
+#if IDETAPE_DEBUG_LOG
+        if (tape->debug_level >= 4)
        printk (KERN_INFO "ide-tape: Reached idetape_read_position\n");
-//#endif /* IDETAPE_DEBUG_LOG */
+#endif /* IDETAPE_DEBUG_LOG */

 #ifdef NO_LONGER_REQUIRED
        idetape_flush_tape_buffers(drive);

2. sendmail question

3. Info on installing to IDE/SCSI drives on Intel

4. Apache Port problem

5. simple ide-tape.c and ide-floppy.c cleanup

6. X11 on a Sony Vaio PCG-F707

7. Appropriate Tools and Approach for Kill Application

8. 2.2.18 IDE tape problem, with ide-scsi

9. problem with ide-scsi and IDE tape drive

10. Can't install OS5 from IDE CD onto IDE drive