floppy drives and read-only file systems...

floppy drives and read-only file systems...

Post by Andrew Walla » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

Strange... last night, I put a floppy into my Linux box, and mounted it, and
was told that it was going to be a read-only file system. Aha! says I - check
the write protect tab!

But I was denied. The same result came, no matter what position the tab was in.
My fstab looks something like this:

/dev/fd0        /floppy         rw      ...

In other words, I am telling mount to make it read-write.

Any ideas about what is wrong?

thanks,
andy

--
andy wallace             "The two most common elements in the universe are

http://www.scroom.com

1. Mount, read or extract files from a floppy image file (MSDOS) under Unix system

Hi,

I search for a program on Unix, like a windows one called Winimage,
which read files from a floppy image file.

This file is a MS-DOS floppy file.

I think, it's possible with Linux to mount a imaage but I don't know why
?

I work on SUN Solaris and an HP UX, and a program like a 'tar xvf' of
this type og image will be welcome. I search an the internet and I can't
find nothing.
The ultimate goal is to put a seies of floppy on a CDROM, having the
floppy disk image.
I know making all the step except extract files from the images file on
UNIX.

If you have an answer, give an answer to this question by the news group
/ and by mail.

In advance thanks.

Nicolas Clochard

2. Linux on ThinkPad 560?

3. Q: How to read 3.5'' floppies without floppy drive ?

4. Where to get a font-server?

5. Install problems: missing files, read-only file system

6. Remove NGROUPS hard limit (re-re-re-re-send)

7. HELP! Floppy drive always mounts read-only

8. SPARC5 floppy drive became read-only!

9. ...dup2: Bad file descriptor [FAILED] .../dev/null: Read-only file system

10. UNIX... copying file to floppy drive on very old system

11. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

12. Taper - Backup software for tape drives, floppies, files, ZIP drives...