Redhat 6.2 install woes

Post by Peter van Da » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 16:00:49

Hi,

I have installed Redhat 6.2 on a new AMD machine without problems.
However, I cannot start the system. The error I receive is:

CPU AMD AMD Duron(TM) Processor stepping 00
Enabling extended fast FPU save and restore... done.
Disabling CPUID Serial number...general protection fault: 0000
CPU:    0
EIP:    0010:[<c02340f4>]
EFLAGS: 0010282

(snip more numbers)

Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In swapper task - not syncing

If you like I can provide the other numbers (eax, esi, ds,
process swapper, stack, call trace, code) but I don't know
if they are significant at this stage.

Please help!

-peter

Redhat 6.2 install woes

Post by Rob Ristro » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:15:33

At the LILO: prompt, type

linux x86_serial_nr=1

and you should be able to boot.  If you do some searches on "Athlon
CPUID Linux" you will find others who had this problem too, and more
explanation.

After I booted that first time, I recompiled the kernel with a
different cpu level selected, and it would boot without intervention.
I think you can also fix it without recompiling by making lilo append
the "x86_serial_nr=1" automatically.

For what it's worth, Mandrake 7.1 didn't have this problem.  I would
suspect the newer redhat doesn't either.

--Rob

Peter>
Peter> Hi,
Peter> I have installed Redhat 6.2 on a new AMD machine without problems.
Peter> However, I cannot start the system. The error I receive is:
Peter>
Peter> CPU AMD AMD Duron(TM) Processor stepping 00
Peter> Enabling extended fast FPU save and restore... done.
Peter> Disabling CPUID Serial number...general protection fault: 0000
Peter> CPU:    0
Peter> EIP:    0010:[<c02340f4>]
Peter> EFLAGS: 0010282
Peter>
Peter> (snip more numbers)
Peter>
Peter> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
Peter> In swapper task - not syncing
Peter>
Peter> If you like I can provide the other numbers (eax, esi, ds,
Peter> process swapper, stack, call trace, code) but I don't know
Peter> if they are significant at this stage.
Peter>
Peter> Please help!
Peter>
Peter> -peter
Peter>
Peter>
Peter>

1. install problems, redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.2 on PC-104+ single board computer

Hi all,

This is my first venture into trying to create a (pseudo) embedded
system, so please pardon the naivete.

I am trying to install redhat 7.2 on a Tiny886ULP-X from Advanced Micro
Peripherals (UK).  This is a PC-104+ single board computer with a 666mhz
transmeta, 256mb ram, video, ethernet, a 132mb compactflash on the IDE
as the primary master (looks like a disk), and an ATAPI compatible CDROM.

So, I boot off the CD, and .....

The symptom is that the CD boots fine, but cannot proceed past keyboard
selection. I select English as the language, US as the keyboard, and
then it goes to look for the install files on the CD, and asks me where
to find the installation files, giving me the hard drive as the only
option to install from.

Redhat 6.2 boots and installs fine, with the exception that I can't get
it to install with under 132mb of flashdisk space.  However, it does
find the files on the CD,(it does not prompt for me to show it where the
files are on the hard drive) and allows me to reformat/repartition the
flash-disk and select install packages before it tells me there's not
enough diskspace. So, if I did have enough space on the flash (which I
will soon) I could install 6.2 just fine.

I have been suspecting that the 7.2 boot kernel is trying to do
something fancy with DMA/UDMA on the CDROM, so I have tried booting by
passing the flag "linux ide=nodma" to the boot kernel. This yielded
exactly the same results.

I'd like to get 7.2 up because of the 1394 support in their standard kernel.

Thanks,

Dan

2. *writers/seeking/publication

3. Redhat 6.2 Sound Card woe

4. Zip drive with Kernel 2.2

5. Printing woes on RedHat 6.2

6. mpg123 in Lynx ?

7. LILO Woes with Redhat 6.2 (2.2.14 Kernel)

8. Automounting /opt

9. RH 6.2 install woes

10. RedHat 6.2 and Kernel 6.2 on an SMP machine

11. RedHat 6.2 and 6.2 doesnt get acces to..

12. partitioning 4 redhat 6.2 complete install

13. newbie: trouble installing redhat 6.2