To FIPS or not to FIPS?

Post by Vita » Tue, 29 May 2001 09:48:19

I just bought a computer, and I am on the verge of setting it up to dual
boot with WIN98 and Linux.

I have 20 GIGS.

I will need to use a healthy chunk for WIN98 for work, 10G should be more than
enough.  What is the best way to partition the rest of the drive?  I would like
to be able to try different distros easily.

Also, after reading the FIPS documentation it seems that it is not easy to undo
the partitioning at some later date.

It seems that without saving the original FAT file it is not possible.  I hate
to have
another floppy around that I will probably only lose.

To FIPS or not to FIPS?

Post by E J » Tue, 29 May 2001 11:14:47

You should always backup when repartition your hard disk, using open source or
commerical programs.
Yes, you can't undo the partition using FIPS, but you repartition back it original
form using "parted" from www.gnu.org or the commerical "partition magic".
Or instant of FIPS, you can start off with "parted" or "partition magic"

> I just bought a computer, and I am on the verge of setting it up to dual
> boot with WIN98 and Linux.

> I have 20 GIGS.

> I will need to use a healthy chunk for WIN98 for work, 10G should be more than
> enough.  What is the best way to partition the rest of the drive?  I would like
> to be able to try different distros easily.

> Also, after reading the FIPS documentation it seems that it is not easy to undo
> the partitioning at some later date.

> It seems that without saving the original FAT file it is not possible.  I hate
> to have
> another floppy around that I will probably only lose.

1. FIPS: error message not in documentation

Hi,

I have just finished using FIPS 2.0 to reformat a FAT16 primary partition.
I ran FIPS from a DOS diskette just like in the outlined instructions at FIPS's
website. I read all the documentation.
I also deleted the swap space that windows 95 was using with fdisk.
The documentation did not say what to use to delete the swap space so I just
used the DOS fdisk utility.

At the end of splitting my DOS primary partition I got the following output
from FIPS:

Ready to write new partition scheme to disk
Do you want to proceed? (y/n) y
Repartitioning complete

Bye!

Memory allocation error
Cannot load COMMAND, system halted

This type of error is not listed in FIPS's documentation and don't know
whether I should ignore this error or not.

Any help or suggestions are welcome,

Thanks,

Neil Zanella

2. decoding function keys

3. fips ERROR!!! *New partition not empty*

4. Remote Processor Calls

5. FIPS does not recognize free space

6. DTR how do you control it??

7. fips not showing enough drive space

8. This is a question about hardware + networking

9. Help! Fips does not work on my HD

10. FIPS error !!!: New partition not empty

11. fips not working

12. Error Mesg not in FIPS FAQ or DOC: please help

13. FIPS not working