sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt from source

sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt from source

Post by not_vali » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 08:21:36

Hi all,
        I have been trying for 30 months to set up a simple
sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt combination, for use on a home dialup
network.
        I set up the windows equivalent after reading 5 minutes of
text, resuming, I clicked setup in mailwarrior or pegasus or eudora,
and entered the name of my smtp and pop server, and that was it.
        But I don't want to read mail under windows, as I can never
trust the binaries. It is essential that the programs be compiled from
source code. Which was what I thought linux was all about.
        I have asked the same question here every 6 months, and have
not had a single helpful answer yet :(
        My system is completely built from source code, and I had to
reinstall from scratch various times after sendmail/exim/others fsckd
up with my system - a very painful experience , takes about 2 weeks. I
now have a tarred base version of my system on CD, so I just do a
mke2fs from a rescue floppy and untar my system back again .
        So here comes my six-monthly question :
        Can anyone point me to a sendmail/procmail/fetchmail/mutt
HOWTO, FROM SOURCE CODE !!!! Please do not suggest 1000 page books or
FAQS, or obsolete versions. I just want to do, say, in 8 hours, what
windows took me 5 minutes to do.

        Here I go, :wq vim, killing mp3blaster (oK, lets finish
hearing "tears in heaven" first), unmounting filesystems, rebooting,
firing up agent, just to send this message (yes, slrn uses
sendmail).....is linux viable ????

Post by CrayzeeWul » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:55:09

>       So here comes my six-monthly question :
>       Can anyone point me to a sendmail/procmail/fetchmail/mutt
> HOWTO, FROM SOURCE CODE !!!! Please do not suggest 1000 page books or
> FAQS, or obsolete versions. I just want to do, say, in 8 hours, what
> windows took me 5 minutes to do.

I compiled and ran all those tools right out of the box without any
problems. You never said what problems you are facing ? What did you try so
far and what has not worked ?

--
CrayzeeWulf

sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt from source

Post by not_vali » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 09:57:02

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:55:09 GMT, CrayzeeWulf

>>       So here comes my six-monthly question :
>>       Can anyone point me to a sendmail/procmail/fetchmail/mutt
>> HOWTO, FROM SOURCE CODE !!!! Please do not suggest 1000 page books or
>> FAQS, or obsolete versions. I just want to do, say, in 8 hours, what
>> windows took me 5 minutes to do.
>I compiled and ran all those tools right out of the box without any
>problems. You never said what problems you are facing ? What did you try so
>far and what has not worked ?

        Now that made me really happy !! I'm full of hope now. Maybe
if you could remember how you did it, and made a howto, thousands
(even tens of thousands) of users would be really grateful

Dialup_internet(sendmail/mutt/fetchmail/procmail)_from_source-HOWTO by
CrayzeeWulf

        Stage one
untar sendmail source:
tar -zxvf sendmail-whatever.tar.gz
cd sendmail-whatever
etc

Almost done ... just finish it ....
(if you publish a step by step here, I'll test it and return any error
messages I get - I'll make that a promise)
TIA

Post by CrayzeeWul » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 12:08:56

> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:55:09 GMT, CrayzeeWulf

>>>       So here comes my six-monthly question :
>>>       Can anyone point me to a sendmail/procmail/fetchmail/mutt
>>> HOWTO, FROM SOURCE CODE !!!! Please do not suggest 1000 page books or
>>> FAQS, or obsolete versions. I just want to do, say, in 8 hours, what
>>> windows took me 5 minutes to do.
>>I compiled and ran all those tools right out of the box without any
>>problems. You never said what problems you are facing ? What did you try
so
>>far and what has not worked ?
>       Now that made me really happy !! I'm full of hope now. Maybe
> if you could remember how you did it, and made a howto, thousands
> (even tens of thousands) of users would be really grateful

So you want someone else to do the work for you so you do not have to lift a
finger ? Millions of people have read the documentation that comes with the
above tools and have gotten them to work without any problems.

We have no idea what difficulties you are facing to even start helping you.
All you have told us is that you could not do it. If you tell us what you
have tried so far, maybe we can tell you what you did wrong.

--
CrayzeeWulf

sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt from source

Post by not_vali » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 08:38:47

        Like I said , I have trashed my system xxx times, I have done
everything the docs recommend, I have been trying hundreds of
different combinations. I am not capable of installing them. The docs
, BTW, are trash. I have been reading them for over 2 years, on and
off.
        If I could , I would write the HOWTO. But I cant, and there
are NO HOWTOS AT ALL on the net on this subject. So the tens of
thousands that successfully installed from source must all be bl&^%dy
lazy.
        I don't believe you know what you are talking about. I DO NOT
mean using RPMs, I mean installing from source. It is impossible to
install sendmail from source using the instructions in the docs, I
have printed them out, executed them one by one, and never managed to
get it to work. I believe this is done on purpose, as the sendmail
team charge for support. And they would die of hunger if it was as
easy as you make out.
        IMHO

On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:08:56 GMT, CrayzeeWulf

Post by CrayzeeWul » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 04:38:18

>       Like I said , I have trashed my system xxx times, I have done
> everything the docs recommend, I have been trying hundreds of
> different combinations. I am not capable of installing them.

I agree with that last sentence.

Quote:>       If I could , I would write the HOWTO. But I cant, and there
> are NO HOWTOS AT ALL on the net on this subject. So the tens of
> thousands that successfully installed from source must all be bl&^%dy
> lazy.
>       I don't believe you know what you are talking about. I DO NOT
> mean using RPMs, I mean installing from source.

Yes. I mean compiling from source too.

Quote:> It is impossible to
> install sendmail from source using the instructions in the docs, I
> have printed them out, executed them one by one, and never managed to
> get it to work.

If you cannot follow those instructions, I do not see how you will follow a
HOWTO document.

Quote:> I believe this is done on purpose, as the sendmail
> team charge for support. And they would die of hunger if it was as
> easy as you make out.

I do not think so.

You still have not said anything specific about your attempts at compiling
those programs and the error messages you came across and/or the specific
difficulties you faced.

In any case, you can consider reading through this document for simple steps
on compiling those utilities:

http://beyond.us.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/index.html

--
CrayzeeWulf

sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt from source

Post by not_vali » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:19:42

On Sat, 02 Nov 2002 19:38:18 GMT, CrayzeeWulf

>>       Like I said , I have trashed my system xxx times, I have done
>> everything the docs recommend, I have been trying hundreds of
>> different combinations. I am not capable of installing them.
>I agree with that last sentence.

>>       If I could , I would write the HOWTO. But I cant, and there
>> are NO HOWTOS AT ALL on the net on this subject. So the tens of
>> thousands that successfully installed from source must all be bl&^%dy
>> lazy.
>>       I don't believe you know what you are talking about. I DO NOT
>> mean using RPMs, I mean installing from source.
>Yes. I mean compiling from source too.

>> It is impossible to
>> install sendmail from source using the instructions in the docs, I
>> have printed them out, executed them one by one, and never managed to
>> get it to work.
>If you cannot follow those instructions, I do not see how you will follow a
>HOWTO document.

>> I believe this is done on purpose, as the sendmail
>> team charge for support. And they would die of hunger if it was as
>> easy as you make out.
>I do not think so.

        I'm quite sure of it. Try frequenting the sendmail group.
Quote:

>You still have not said anything specific about your attempts at compiling
>those programs and the error messages you came across and/or the specific
>difficulties you faced.

>In any case, you can consider reading through this document for simple steps
>on compiling those utilities:

>http://www.veryComputer.com/

Following the scripts EXACTLY (after reinstalling procmail and db)
:
groupadd -g 18 smmsp &&
groupadd -g 19 mail &&
useradd -g smmsp -G mail -u 18 smmsp &&
chmod 1777 /tmp &&
chmod 1777 /var/mail &&
mkdir /var/spool/mqueue

root:/usr/src/sendmail-8.12.6/sendmail# (cd smrsh/ && patch -Np0 -i
../../smrsh-20020924.patch) && cd sendmail && sh Build && cd ../cf/cf
&& cp generic-linux.mc sendmail.mc && mkdir /etc/mail && sh Build
sendmail.mc && sh Build install-cf && cd ../../ && sh Build install

......LOTTA STUFF .............

make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/sendmail-8.12.6/obj.Linux.2.4.19-ML.i686/lib*il'
cp /dev/null statistics
chmod 0600 statistics
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o main.o main.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o alias.o alias.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o arpadate.o arpadate.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o bf.o bf.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o collect.o collect.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o conf.o conf.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o control.o control.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o convtime.o convtime.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o daemon.o daemon.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o deliver.o deliver.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o domain.o domain.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o envelope.o envelope.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o err.o err.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o headers.o headers.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o macro.o macro.c
cc -O2 -I. -I../../include  -DNEWDB       -c -o map.o map.c
map.c: In function `db_map_open':
map.c:2118: warning: passing arg 2 of pointer to function from
incompatible pointer type
map.c:2118: incompatible type for argument 4 of indirect function call
map.c:2118: too few arguments to function
make: *** [map.o] Error 1
root:/usr/src/sendmail-8.12.6/sendmail#

(compilation stops here)

        Like I said. I want a howto that teaches you how to install
the blo&^%dy thing..... If you managed to install, why don't you just
tell us how you did it ?

Post by John D. Colema » Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:04:32

> >>       Like I said , I have trashed my system xxx times, I have done
> >> everything the docs recommend, I have been trying hundreds of
> >> different combinations. I am not capable of installing them.
> >I agree with that last sentence.

> >>       If I could , I would write the HOWTO. But I cant, and there
> >> are NO HOWTOS AT ALL on the net on this subject. So the tens of
> >> thousands that successfully installed from source must all be bl&^%dy
> >> lazy.
> >>       I don't believe you know what you are talking about. I DO NOT
> >> mean using RPMs, I mean installing from source.
> >Yes. I mean compiling from source too.

>         Like I said. I want a howto that teaches you how to install
> the blo&^%dy thing..... If you managed to install, why don't you just
> tell us how you did it ?

30 months ??? That makes ME feel better. I've been working on setting up my
system from scratch since January of this year with a self-imposed deadline of 31
Dec 02. (I think that deadline will be extended. I've put too much time into this
to just drop it.)

I followed Linux From Scratch (LFS) as far as it was documented. One thing that I
think that we are having is that LFS, and no one else that I know of either, has
bothered to explain just WHO users/groups : bin,daemon,adm,lp,sync,shutdown, etc.
are, WHY they are needed if they are, and WHAT files to associate to those users.
At least I *think* that's causing problems.

Yes. The documentation sucks.
I got fetchmail and Pine to work but Sendmail flat out refuses to work.

I sent Sendmail a gripe about their docs and this is what I got:

Partial quote from an email that I received from sendmail.org :
"
Unfortunately, the question of what should be in the documents is
not an easy one to settle.  Some of the people installing sendmail
have done it often enough that they can almost do it with their
hands tied behind their backs.  If we overdo the documentation,
they won't read it at all.  They are looking for quick pointers to
anything they have to do differently this time.  Others have never
installed sendmail before, but are experienced system administrators
and have installed other software.  And so it goes, until we get to
the near novice.  It is very hard to find a documentation style
that works for all people.
"

Sendmail refuses to budge on rewriting their docs. If Sendmail's docs are causing
you problems, send them a gripe also !

My 'opinion' is : They just don't know how to write good docs or will take the
time to write them.
Volunteers and 'goodness of their hearts' be d*mned. They wrote the program. They
should document it.

Once my system is 100% functional. I'm going to erase it and start all over
again. This time documenting what I do. I've learned too late that I need a log
book to remember what I did last week that might be causing problems now. Handy
for notes also.

I gave up on Sendmail for awhile. I'm working on getting X working. X can't find
my screen. Well I can. It's right in front of me ! Needs cleaning. :)

P.S.
Once you get your system working, don't forget to write a HOWTO. *IF* you can
remember what you did.

'Windows sucks' huh ? Well, it installed in less than an hour and works fine. Mr.
Gates might be reading my HDD though without my knowledge. I might have Linux's
source code but it would take me a lifetime to study it.

Good Luck !

sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt from source

Post by not_vali » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:51:11

        Welcome to the LFS club  :)
        When I said that the sendmail people made the docs as hard to
follow as possible (the docs are quite contradictory at times) I was
trying to make constructive criticism. I believe this is done on
purpose, so they can make money selling support. Can you think of any
other reason why sendmail should be any more difficult to compile and
install than any other program ?
        I gave up on X a year ago, I just could not compile it, even
though I had all the necessary compilers and libraries, and followed
the instructions to the letter.
        As for security, yes, I believe the main reason governments
and individuals seriously try to use linux is because of windows
infamous "back doors". As soon as a hacker discovers one, they publish
a patch which opens another somewhere else , with a different
password/encryption scheme. There is no reason on earth why
programmers would include code in internet explorer which allows
someone to remotely manipulate files etc on your hard-disk. It is
quite obviously put there for a purpose. Red Hat and others have the
same potential security hazards.
        As an aside, I managed to install sendmail 8.9.3 once, but got
hacked because of it. I was having trouble configuring it, and was not
sure if it was a problem with my firewall, so I lowered my firewall
and sure enough , someone left some notes in my /root directory. Bad
docs in sendmail make it a terrible security risk.
        The LFS docs are really very good, and I think that Gerard
Beekmans makes an almost inhuman effort to keep up to date. I am very
thankful to him for teaching me most of what I know about linux.
        It is a pity though that he did not include mail in his basic
system, as today that is an absolutely essential part of any OS. His
docs in BLFS are very superficial, and do not work for me at all.
        Enough.... let me get back to my (working) windows system. Oh
shit, its slow again. I wish Bill would read through my personal docs
a little bit faster .... :(

Post by John D. Colema » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:38:46

>         Welcome to the LFS club  :)
>         When I said that the sendmail people made the docs as hard to
> follow as possible (the docs are quite contradictory at times) I was
> trying to make constructive criticism. I believe this is done on
> purpose, so they can make money selling support. Can you think of any
> other reason why sendmail should be any more difficult to compile and
> install than any other program ?

Well, if that *is* the reason, then we can b!tch about it but it is their software to
do with as they please. We could always use a someone else's program to do what we
want or write our own. I'm not even going to try that.

Quote:>         I gave up on X a year ago, I just could not compile it, even
> though I had all the necessary compilers and libraries, and followed
> the instructions to the letter.

???
It should have told you what program or library to get and possibly where to get it.
That's how I've gotten most of my software installed. Sure is a heck of a lot of
programs !
I just found this site via another newsgroup posting and haven't checked it out yet
but it appears to have software that will check your system out and tell you what you
should have : http://www.linuxbase.org/

Quote:>         The LFS docs are really very good, and I think that Gerard
> Beekmans makes an almost inhuman effort to keep up to date. I am very
> thankful to him for teaching me most of what I know about linux.

The docs don't cover every problem that can and did crop up but, yes, they were good
enough to get me a minimal working system, a command prompt and a compiler.

I tried to compile GNOME2 and got almost to the end before I found out that I can't
complete the installation because a printer? driver is a beta version though that is
the version specified on their website.

Quote:

>         It is a pity though that he did not include mail in his basic
> system, as today that is an absolutely essential part of any OS. His
> docs in BLFS are very superficial, and do not work for me at all.

They will write it eventually. Or someone, maybe one of us, will write it.

Quote:>         Enough.... let me get back to my (working) windows system. Oh
> shit, its slow again. I wish Bill would read through my personal docs
> a little bit faster .... :(

Time for me to play a game in Windows. Tomorrow I'll tackle X again.

sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt from source

Q3.40 -- Why can't I use BerkeleyDB 4.1.x?

   Date: November 15, 2002

   SleepyCat changed the API from Berkeley DB 4.0 to 4.1. Hence it is
not
   supported in sendmail 8.12.6. Moreover, the semantics of the open()
   call have been changed, hence sendmail doesn't work with DB 4.1.x
(x
   <= 24), even if the "obvious" API changes are made.

   sendmail.org

        I just installed v 8.9.3
        Fsck security !!!!

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 23:38:46 -0500, "John D. Coleman"

>>         Welcome to the LFS club  :)
>>         When I said that the sendmail people made the docs as hard to
>> follow as possible (the docs are quite contradictory at times) I was
>> trying to make constructive criticism. I believe this is done on
>> purpose, so they can make money selling support. Can you think of any
>> other reason why sendmail should be any more difficult to compile and
>> install than any other program ?

>Well, if that *is* the reason, then we can b!tch about it but it is their software to
>do with as they please. We could always use a someone else's program to do what we
>want or write our own. I'm not even going to try that.

>>         I gave up on X a year ago, I just could not compile it, even
>> though I had all the necessary compilers and libraries, and followed
>> the instructions to the letter.

>???
>It should have told you what program or library to get and possibly where to get it.
>That's how I've gotten most of my software installed. Sure is a heck of a lot of
>programs !
>I just found this site via another newsgroup posting and haven't checked it out yet
>but it appears to have software that will check your system out and tell you what you
>should have : http://www.linuxbase.org/

>>         The LFS docs are really very good, and I think that Gerard
>> Beekmans makes an almost inhuman effort to keep up to date. I am very
>> thankful to him for teaching me most of what I know about linux.

>The docs don't cover every problem that can and did crop up but, yes, they were good
>enough to get me a minimal working system, a command prompt and a compiler.

>I tried to compile GNOME2 and got almost to the end before I found out that I can't
>complete the installation because a printer? driver is a beta version though that is
>the version specified on their website.

>>         It is a pity though that he did not include mail in his basic
>> system, as today that is an absolutely essential part of any OS. His
>> docs in BLFS are very superficial, and do not work for me at all.

>They will write it eventually. Or someone, maybe one of us, will write it.

>>         Enough.... let me get back to my (working) windows system. Oh
>> shit, its slow again. I wish Bill would read through my personal docs
>> a little bit faster .... :(

>Time for me to play a game in Windows. Tomorrow I'll tackle X again.

1. sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt from source

        It is 38 months now. And I still do not use linux on the
internet as noone has posted any information at all. Well, I telnet in
sometimes, but have you ever tried reading newsgroups on telnet ?
Formatting the replies under vi is also a pain in the a*
        I run sendmail 8.93 as an open relay spammers welcome I
suppose.
        Installed procmail. The latest. After reading in the docs that
it is infallible, so there is NO need to read the docs, I get "error
64 root does not have a valid shell account ". Google brought 8
suggestions, none of which worked. I made a lot of home directories
world browserable, as per procmail FAQ, and as people keep reminders
of file contents in file names as a reminder, I had to reinstall. Bl*
awful security.
        Well ...lets check my invalid shell
echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
am i paranoid or has microsoft bought off most linux developers ?

2. modems (simple question on modems)

3. fetchmail/procmail/postfix/cyrus-imap problem

4. problem in leaving X

5. fetchmail, sendmail and procmail with Freenetname ISP.

6. solaris 8 x86 dhcp problems

7. Mutt (and procmail, fetchmail, sendmail...)

8. #9GXE - Card .. Should I buy, should I not?

9. mail setup? - fetchmail, sendmail, procmail, imap, netscape

10. newbie email-Q, please help: Linux,POP3,fetchmail,sendmail,hostname,FQDN?????

11. llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

12. P L, PPCQAU7HGUTGG..........................VCCCCCCCCCCCCC AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN777777777777777RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

13. TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT