Rehat 5.1 and Win95--Partitioning Conflicts

Rehat 5.1 and Win95--Partitioning Conflicts

Post by Suman Misr » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I've just installed RedHat and run into a bit of a wall as far as getting
Linux to coexist peacefully with Win95. I'd appreciate any advice somebody
out there might have.

Before I started I divvied up my 3G drive into 4 Primary Partitions (a bit
of a mistake) :
1: 500M FAT16
2: 1.5G Linux (to come in safely under Cylinder 1024)
3: 500M FAT16
4: 500M FAT16

I then reinstalled Win95 to the first partition and some Win95 apps to
partition 3.

Redhat's install program made it clear that I had some more repartitioning
to do--I had to delete the 1.5G Primary Linux Partition that I had created,
recreate it as an extended partition and then define a set of logical drive
partitions within it for Linux /, /usr, /home, and swap swace with Fdisk
from the installer.

Everything went smoothly and I had a bonza Linux system setup. Even LILO
worked without a hitch. Very nice that RedHat automation--recognized all my
hardware straight off.

When I finally tore myself away and rebooted into Windows, I found that
somehow, Partition 3 (also known as D:) had become corrupted. The apps were
inaccesible. Partition 4 (E:) was still OK as was C:, the Win95 boot
partition. Windows worked, sans apps, for a bit but on the next reboot it
informed me that it couldn't find anything on D: like the .ini and registry
said it would--which was understandable. It then hung up completely. Corrupt
registry, I suspect. All attempts to revive it were unsuccessful. This
wasn't quite as understandable.

I reinstalled Windows again last night. Worked OK--rewrote over the MBR
however which killed LILO just like I was told it would. I popped in my
Linux boot disk this morning and it seemed like it would let me boot into
Linux but it gets to a point where its says it is "mounting root on
/dev/hda5 as _read only_" and then simply hangs.

Interestingly enough, Windows 95 is now seeing _three_ partitions of 500
MB--even though I reformatted the corrupt d: drive and then deleted the
partition. I had an eror message about conflicting FAT's.

Fdisk still tells me I have three partitions total--which is what I'd
expect--C:, D: (previously E:), and an Extended DOS partition (which is
where RedHat is loaded).

I don't quite know where to go from here. I can't get Linux started and I
don't much care to do anything with Win95, especially when it insists on
seeing drives and partitions that don't exist.

Thanks in advance for your insights,

--
Suman Misra
Technical Support Engineer