Epson Stylus Color 600

Post by Russell Pierc » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have RH 5.1 installed and recently purchased a stylus color 600.  When
I use printtool to setup the printer I selected the Epson Stylus Color
Printer setting because there wasn't a unique one for the 600.  When I
rebooted the machine the printer Did an ASCII test which revealed that
my page eject was not working properly, but much worse was it kept
spitting out empty pages or ones with small amounts of *at the top.
I finally just shut down the printer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Epson Stylus Color 600

Post by bobo » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>I have RH 5.1 installed and recently purchased a stylus color 600.  When
>I use printtool to setup the printer I selected the Epson Stylus Color
>Printer setting because there wasn't a unique one for the 600.  When I
>rebooted the machine the printer Did an ASCII test which revealed that
>my page eject was not working properly, but much worse was it kept
>spitting out empty pages or ones with small amounts of *at the top.
>I finally just shut down the printer.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Hi,
I have a system with the same configuration. It seems working fine.
You need to check the printer settings.  I cannot remember the
setup details. Did you use control panel to setup the printer?
Make sure you did not check the box "postscript printer". Maybe
that's the only thing that will cause that kind of output.
If you still cannot figure it out, give me an email, i can send you
my setup.(now I'm in Win98).
Jianbo

Epson Stylus Color 600

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I have RH 5.1 installed and recently purchased a stylus color 600.  When
> I use printtool to setup the printer I selected the Epson Stylus Color
> Printer setting because there wasn't a unique one for the 600.  When I
> rebooted the machine the printer Did an ASCII test which revealed that
> my page eject was not working properly, but much worse was it kept
> spitting out empty pages or ones with small amounts of *at the top.
> I finally just shut down the printer.

1) Grab the Ghostscript 5.10 RPMs from http://www.veryComputer.com/~typhoon/.
   Install them.
2) Edit the /var/spool/lpd/{spoolname}/postscript.cfg file so that the
   GSDEVICE line reads 'GSDEVICE=uniprint' and the EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS line

   720x1440 dpi.
3) If desired, create additional print queues with other names, and
   specify different .upp files in postscript.cfg for different
   resolutions.  Three are supplied for the ESC 600 with Ghostscript 5.10.
4) The color curves in the .upp files for at least some Epson printers are
   off.  I don't recall the details, but if you're dissatisfied with the
   color balance on your color printouts, try swapping the color curves in
   the .upp files (these are the blocks of lines with names like
   '-dupCyanTransfer=' and a bunch of numbers.  I think it's cyan and
   magenta that need to be swapped, but it might be yellow and one of the
   others.  I might also be thinking of the ESC 800's color curves, so
   this may not apply to you, though of course you can still fiddle with
   these curves if you don't like the color balance you get on your
   output.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.veryComputer.com/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Epson Stylus Color 600

Post by Bob Venato » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I also have a problem with my epson 600. The printer is connected to lpt1 but
I had to set it to  lp=/dev/lp2:\ in my printcap file using printtool, which
corresponds to lpt3? It works with this setting.  Anybody know why?

> >I have RH 5.1 installed and recently purchased a stylus color 600.  When
> >I use printtool to setup the printer I selected the Epson Stylus Color
> >Printer setting because there wasn't a unique one for the 600.  When I
> >rebooted the machine the printer Did an ASCII test which revealed that
> >my page eject was not working properly, but much worse was it kept
> >spitting out empty pages or ones with small amounts of *at the top.
> >I finally just shut down the printer.

> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

> Hi,
> I have a system with the same configuration. It seems working fine.
> You need to check the printer settings.  I cannot remember the
> setup details. Did you use control panel to setup the printer?
> Make sure you did not check the box "postscript printer". Maybe
> that's the only thing that will cause that kind of output.
> If you still cannot figure it out, give me an email, i can send you
> my setup.(now I'm in Win98).
> Jianbo

Epson Stylus Color 600

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I also have a problem with my epson 600. The printer is connected to lpt1 but
> I had to set it to  lp=/dev/lp2:\ in my printcap file using printtool, which
> corresponds to lpt3? It works with this setting.  Anybody know why?

I don't fully understand the details, but I believe that port numbering
for parallel ports works differently under DOS/Windows/OS2 than it does
under Linux.  With Linux, the device number (/dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, etc.)
seems to be assigned based largely on the I/O port used or some such;
whereas in DOS/etc., it's assigned on a first-come-first-served basis,
with the first one registered getting LPT1.  To add to the confusion, I
believe the standard I/O port numbers were changed when going from the PC
XT to the PC AT (or perhaps from the AT to the 386; I don't recall
precisely).

In any event, I wouldn't worry about it unless you encounter other
hardware conflicts.  If you do, reconfigure your hardware and be aware
you may need to change things in your Linux printer configuration.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Epson Stylus Color 600

Post by Bob Sul » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>|I don't fully understand the details, but I believe that port numbering
>|for parallel ports works differently under DOS/Windows/OS2 than it does
>|under Linux.  With Linux, the device number (/dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, etc.)
>|seems to be assigned based largely on the I/O port used or some such;
>|whereas in DOS/etc., it's assigned on a first-come-first-served basis,
>|with the first one registered getting LPT1.  To add to the confusion, I
>|believe the standard I/O port numbers were changed when going from the PC
>|XT to the PC AT (or perhaps from the AT to the 386; I don't recall
>|precisely).
>|
>|In any event, I wouldn't worry about it unless you encounter other
>|hardware conflicts.  If you do, reconfigure your hardware and be aware
>|you may need to change things in your Linux printer configuration.

Well, I have two printers, one on port 378h and one on 278h.   Printtool's
auto-detect doesn't find either one of them; trying to print something
causes the job to spool but nothing gets printed (I get an error message to
this effect - the exact wording I don't recall).  Any ideas?  I have an
Epson 1500 laser on 378h and a Stylus Color 800 on 278.  There are no
cable/port problems as far as I know - they both work fine under Win95 and
OS/2.  Thanx....

http://home.earthlink.net/~rsully/

And on the eighth day, God said:  "Murphy, you're in charge."

Epson Stylus Color 600

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> Well, I have two printers, one on port 378h and one on 278h.   Printtool's
> auto-detect doesn't find either one of them; trying to print something
> causes the job to spool but nothing gets printed (I get an error message to
> this effect - the exact wording I don't recall).  Any ideas?  I have an
> Epson 1500 laser on 378h and a Stylus Color 800 on 278.  There are no
> cable/port problems as far as I know - they both work fine under Win95 and
> OS/2.  Thanx....

First, try printing directly to the port (e.g., "cat foo.txt > /dev/lp1"
or similar).  You'll need to be root to do this.  If that doesn't work,
it's a hardware or driver problem, and you should look at stuff like
whether the kernel has parallel port support compiled into it, IRQ
conflicts, etc.  If it does work, then it's a print queue issue, and you
should go at it from that angle, though the Red Hat printtool SHOULD be
setting stuff up fairly well, or at least well enough to get a basic text
output.

In any event, the Printing HOWTO is a good resource for printer
troubleshooting.

--

Post by Bob Sul » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>|[Posted and mailed]
>|

>|> Well, I have two printers, one on port 378h and one on 278h.   Printtool's
>|> auto-detect doesn't find either one of them; trying to print something
>|> causes the job to spool but nothing gets printed (I get an error message to
>|> this effect - the exact wording I don't recall).  Any ideas?  I have an
>|> Epson 1500 laser on 378h and a Stylus Color 800 on 278.  There are no
>|> cable/port problems as far as I know - they both work fine under Win95 and
>|> OS/2.  Thanx....
>|
>|First, try printing directly to the port (e.g., "cat foo.txt > /dev/lp1"
>|or similar).  You'll need to be root to do this.  If that doesn't work,
>|it's a hardware or driver problem, and you should look at stuff like
>|whether the kernel has parallel port support compiled into it, IRQ
>|conflicts, etc.  If it does work, then it's a print queue issue, and you
>|should go at it from that angle, though the Red Hat printtool SHOULD be
>|setting stuff up fairly well, or at least well enough to get a basic text
>|output.
>|
>|In any event, the Printing HOWTO is a good resource for printer
>|troubleshooting.

OK, will try this again - will try a long text file with cat and see what
happens.  Printer support is compiled in.  Shouldn't be a hardware or IRQ
problem, as Windoze 95 tells me that I have no IRQ conflicts and both
printers work fine under Win95 and OS/2 (the latter being pickier than any
Micro$oft OS in regard to hardware.....thanx again.