StarOffice / SuSE 5.3 problems

Post by Tobin Frick » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I just downloaded StarOffice 5.0 in its 64mb glory.  However, when I run
the setup program, the GUI comes up, but immediately freezes X. (mouse
no longer moves, ctrl-alt terminal switching no longer works, etc).  Any
ideas?  I'm running SuSE 5.3, and I did run their little script to
install the new glibc libraries.

Tobin

Post by Chris Alle » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I just downloaded StarOffice 5.0 in its 64mb glory.  However, when I run
> the setup program, the GUI comes up, but immediately freezes X. (mouse
> no longer moves, ctrl-alt terminal switching no longer works, etc).  Any
> ideas?  I'm running SuSE 5.3, and I did run their little script to
> install the new glibc libraries.

> Tobin

I'm having the same problem on Slackware 3.5.  I have to powercycle the
box to recover.

Chris

StarOffice / SuSE 5.3 problems

Post by Tobin Frick » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> > I just downloaded StarOffice 5.0 in its 64mb glory.  However, when I run
> > the setup program, the GUI comes up, but immediately freezes X. (mouse
> I'm having the same problem on Slackware 3.5.  I have to powercycle the
> box to recover.

Exactly. Any idea on how to get it to install?

Tobin

StarOffice / SuSE 5.3 problems

Post by Tobin Frick » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Yep.  I have the same problem (RedHat 5.1).  I received one email to my post
> suggesting that the problem was with the X-server I was using.  It was suggested
> that StarOffice has problems with SV3 servers and it is better to use SVGA.  I

I, too, am using an S3 ViRGE-based video card, so I think it's fairly
likely that the problem is with S3 support (although I'm using the SVGA
X-Server anyhow; StarOffice still doesn't work.).  They've posted a
patch that supposedly fixes some problem with S3V, which I think could
be our solution, but alas, the file does not exist. S-:

Quote:> By the way, how does one "powercycle the box to recover".  I ended up using the
> worst solution, the off-switch.

Power cycle: Power-off, Power-on. (-: Same thing.

Tobin

Post by Chris Alle » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > > I'm having the same problem on Slackware 3.5.  I have to powercycle the
> > > box to recover.

> > Exactly. Any idea on how to get it to install?

> > Tobin

> Yep.  I have the same problem (RedHat 5.1).  I received one email to my post
> suggesting that the problem was with the X-server I was using.  It was suggested
> that StarOffice has problems with SV3 servers and it is better to use SVGA.  I
> had no luck moving to an SVGA server (and it would result in a lower
> resolution).  If anyone knows another solution, I would be interested.
> Otherwise I may have to save my pennies for Applixware.

> By the way, how does one "powercycle the box to recover".  I ended up using the
> worst solution, the off-switch.

> Daniel Reidpath

That is powercycling. :(  Basically, it means you have to forceably
reboot.

Chris

Post by Daniel Reidpat » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > > I just downloaded StarOffice 5.0 in its 64mb glory.  However, when I run
> > > the setup program, the GUI comes up, but immediately freezes X. (mouse

> > I'm having the same problem on Slackware 3.5.  I have to powercycle the
> > box to recover.

> Exactly. Any idea on how to get it to install?

> Tobin

Yep.  I have the same problem (RedHat 5.1).  I received one email to my post
suggesting that the problem was with the X-server I was using.  It was suggested
that StarOffice has problems with SV3 servers and it is better to use SVGA.  I
had no luck moving to an SVGA server (and it would result in a lower
resolution).  If anyone knows another solution, I would be interested.
Otherwise I may have to save my pennies for Applixware.

By the way, how does one "powercycle the box to recover".  I ended up using the
worst solution, the off-switch.

Daniel Reidpath

StarOffice / SuSE 5.3 problems

Post by Andrew D. Englan » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi there,

I also downloaded StarOffice 5.0 (it only took 8 minutes with my Uni.
connection :)
As a complete beginner a Linux I'm having trouble installing StarOffice. I
managed to run the script for the glibc libraries, but can't seem to get the
installation program running. Am I missing a step or something. The README
says run the setup program but nothing happens.
I've only just installed my SuSE 5.2 (no patches)
Any ideas?

Thanks,

    Andy.

PS. By any chance could you give some basic instructions on applying the
patches from SuSE's web site? Thanks again.

>I just downloaded StarOffice 5.0 in its 64mb glory.  However, when I run
>the setup program, the GUI comes up, but immediately freezes X. (mouse
>no longer moves, ctrl-alt terminal switching no longer works, etc).  Any
>ideas?  I'm running SuSE 5.3, and I did run their little script to
>install the new glibc libraries.

>Tobin

1. StarOffice and SUSE 5.3

I am having trouble setting up StarOffice with my SUSE 5.3.
first I type [mount /dev/cdrom] to mount the disk
then I get into the StarOffice_40 directory and try to run setup.
I get a message saying Permission Denied.

I cannot even read anything on the cdrom in KDE, how do you mount the
cdrom with KDE?
Also how do you mount the floppy drive?

Thank,
Bill

2. CD-ROM on a Laptop

3. setpgrp - problem after upgrading SuSE 5.3 to SuSE 6.0

4. using sed and awk

5. SuSE 5.2 or SuSE 5.3

6. Smail Bug?

7. SuSE 5.3 -> SuSE 6.0 broke IPForwarding or routing

8. How to have a / in a filename without separating components.

9. SuSE 5.3 or SuSE 5.2?

10. SuSE 5.2 or Suse 5.3 ?

11. DNS on SUSE 6.2 fails, on SUSE 5.3 works

12. File Permission Problem w/ SuSE 5.3

13. Newbie installation problem - Linux SuSE 5.3