NEC CDR-210 with Adaptec 1520

Post by Dan Gardn » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

hello all--

i'm trying to install linux from a NEC CDR-210
which is hooked up to an adaptec 1520a.  the host
adapter and cdrom device are both detected at
boot up.  however, when i go to "install"
(slackware), i get an "unable to mount cdrom"
error.

i have tried with sycronous negotiation enabled
and disabled, and parity enabled and disabled
on the adapter.

what the heck is going on??  is the NEC 210
just too old??

thanks--

djg

Post by mc1.. » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> hello all--

> i'm trying to install linux from a NEC CDR-210
> which is hooked up to an adaptec 1520a.  the host
> adapter and cdrom device are both detected at
> boot up.  however, when i go to "install"
> (slackware), i get an "unable to mount cdrom"
> error.

> i have tried with sycronous negotiation enabled
> and disabled, and parity enabled and disabled
> on the adapter.

> what the heck is going on??  is the NEC 210
> just too old??

> thanks--

> djg

You need support to aha152x, AND add the IRQ value at boot time, e.g.
something like, at LILO prompt:

append="aha152x=0x340,11,7"

Plenty of info in SCSI-howto.
--

reply)

1. Adaptec 1522 & NEC CDR-210 working under Linux?

As the subject says, are the AHA1522 and NEC 2x CDR-210 working together
under Linux?
They work fine under DOS with parity and syncronous operation disabled.
However, Linux just hangs at boot up when it gets to checking the CD-ROM
drive. I've been using the AHA1522 with a SCSI hard disk with no
problems for about 9 months.

At boot time, after it checks the hard disk, it tries to check the CD-ROM
and it hangs. Also, the SCSI messages in Linux tell me that the parity is
enabled even though I disabled it on the card. The NEC CDR-210 doesn't
support parity. Is that the problem? If so, how do I tell Linux that I
want the parity disabled? And yes, I did recompile the kernel with SCSI
CD-ROM option enabled.

If you use these 2 together would you please tell me your setup.

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Larry

2. Calling FORTRAN from C

3. Adaptec 1505 SCSI adapter and NEC CDR-210

4. DIP problem, Unknown server error

5. Xconfigurator

6. NEC CDR-210 recognized but not usable -- Help!

7. WIFI recommendations

8. NEC CDR-210 SCSI CDrom problem

9. NEC SCSI CD-ROM drive CDR-210 rev. 1.0 is not recognized

10. HELP: NEC CDR-210 won't play audio CDs

11. SCSI NEC CDR-210 problems

12. playing audio cd's with NEC CDR-210