Remote printer problem

Post by PASZTOR Miklo » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

 Hello,

 I am having problems with setting up a remote printer queue on a
 SuSe 6.1 system.
 I can configure apsfilter on local print queues, but I need automatic
 filtering on a remote one.
 Porting Redhat's printtool  to SuSe would solve the problem...
 Please help.

 TIA,
 Mikls

      MTA SZTAKI/ASZI  Budapest
      1132 Victor Hugo u. 18-22        Tel: (36)-(1)-349-75-32

Remote printer problem

Post by L J Bay » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am having problems with setting up a remote printer queue on a
> SuSe 6.1 system.
> I can configure apsfilter on local print queues, but I need automatic
> filtering on a remote one.
> Porting Redhat's printtool  to SuSe would solve the problem...
> Please help.

You can't directly filter when printing to a remote queue. If the
actual printer is on another Linux (or any Unix) box, you can
do the filtering on that system, and set up the remote queue
with no filtering on your system.
If, however, the printer has a built-in network card like JetDirect,
or is on some other kind of system which doesn't support filtering,
you can only filter to it with a hack - set up 2 queues on your
Linux system, 1 remote to the printer, and one which filters and
re-prints to the first queue.

1. Remote printer problems using bsdlpd

I am trying to print over a network to a remote printer.  I am using
bsdlpd which came with the latest slackware distribution.  I have a
local printer working to a certain extent already.  By that I mean that
I can print text through it.  The printcap file I am using is included
below.  When I try to enable the remote printer by typing "up brlw1" in
lpc, I get the message "unknown printer brlw1"  I have created a queue
directory for it in the place specified in printcap.  I have also tried
using the same printcap without the colons at the beginning of every
line.  The machine name and printer name are correct.  I have heard that
bsdlpd requires a device called lp to operate, so I made a soft link to
/dev/null called lp.  I have of course killed and restarted bsdlpd every
time I made a change.  I am using kernel version 2.0.33 with all the
important other stuff like gcc from the newest slackware distribution.
If anyone has an idea about how I can fix this, please email me at

time.

lp|printer|DJ672:\
:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd/DJ672LP1:sh:mx#0:if=/usr/local/bin/deskjet-filter:

brlw1:\
:lp=:\
:rm=lpd.rh.uchicago.edu:\
:rp=brlw1:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/brlw1:\
:lf=/var/spool/lpd/brlw1/errs:

2. Cron Output

3. Remote Printer problem

4. Sorry for SERIOUS.....

5. Remote printer problems

6. Installation on little pc

7. lp printing to remote printer problem

8. Can't use SWAT - server seems to be busy?!

9. Remote printer problem

10. remote printer problem

11. Remote Printer problems

12. remote printer problem