1. RedHat 5.1 install crash - please help
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
After much painful work, I finally found the boot image that allowed
RedHat 5.1 to recognize my Adaptec AHA-2940U2W PCI SCSI card. The
image was found at
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/support/5.1/i386/images/boot.img. It is
dated from October 13, 1998. The next most current image I could find
was dated June 24, 1998. Anyhow, I boot from the floppy, at the boot:
prompt type vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img (I don't know why I have to do
this, but it works), and proceed with the install. It picks up the
card without having to select it from a list and finds the CD-ROM
drive. I used Disk Druid to make the swap, root, /usr, and /usr/local
partitions. Then I selected the packages I wanted. It formatted the
partitions, but then it said "Fatal error opening RPM database." All
this while, at the top of the screen another message had been
displayed that said, "unable to open /usr/lib/rpmrc for reading" or
something like that. It didn't seem to affect the install, but I feel
it is worth mentioning. Well, after that last error message, I hit
"OK" and then it unmounted things and shut the system down.
Anyone know what's happening? I appeal to gurus. I'm sort of a
newbie, so please help.
Founder of The Society Of Gargoyle Descendants
Remove the "nospam" to reply.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 6.0.2
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
2. Why `make clean' when building the kernel
3. redhat 5.1 install never exits & scsi timeouts scsi scan - help please
4. ntfs filesystems and kernel compiling. :(
5. Please Help on PPP Connection Problem with Redhat Linux 5.1
6. Maxi Home studio II and linux
7. Help: Installing Sybase Under RedHat Linux 5.1?
8. SSL and virtual host
9. HELP: Install problems w/ Redhat 5.1 CD from Linux Mall
10. need help installing Redhat Linux 5.1
11. Please Help with Changing Hostname on RedHat 5.1 System
12. RedHat 5.1 on laptop, please help.
13. RedHat 5.1, Sony CDU33A and Kernel Panic Help Please