lilo vs loadlin

Post by Barney Unrea » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> whats wrong with using loadlin vs lilo to boot linux?? I used it when I had
> slackware setup on my 486, and I plan to use it on my K6. Are there
> disadvantages? I also want to run win95 and soon winNT on the same box, so I
> realy want to stay away from lilo.....

There's nothing really WRONG about using loadlin.  It depends
on whether you turn your system off a lot and whether you
want to always start loadlin's OS first before starting Linux.
Many of us start Linux once and leave it running until the
next time we need to upgrade the OS or hardware, so it doesn't
matter much, but if you were going to boot up into Linux every
morning, you probably wouldn't care to have to boot up another
OS first.

In any case, it seems "cleaner" to use SOME kind of boot manager
(lilo, System Commander, NT's version (does it allow Linux to
work? - I don't know)).  Suit yourself.

lilo vs loadlin

Post by RiPT » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

whats wrong with using loadlin vs lilo to boot linux?? I used it when I had
slackware setup on my 486, and I plan to use it on my K6. Are there
disadvantages? I also want to run win95 and soon winNT on the same box, so I
realy want to stay away from lilo.....

                                                           Tony...

lilo vs loadlin

Post by nos.. » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>There's nothing really WRONG about using loadlin.  It depends
>on whether you turn your system off a lot and whether you
>want to always start loadlin's OS first before starting Linux.

I boot relatively often so have my Windoze config.sys setup to offer a
menu re: boot to linux or windows.  If nothing is selected in 10 seconds
it boots to windows.  Following is my  config.sys file (I just installed
win98 beta so changed the menu labels but otherwise is the same for 95):

---Config.sys---
[menu]
menuitem=W98, Boot To Windows 98
menuitem=LINUX, Boot To Linux
me*fault=W98,10

[W98]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEhigh=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE frame=d000 RAM X=A000-C7FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=60
{etc. etc...}
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /P /E:1024

[LINUX]
shell=c:\loadlin\loadlin.exe c:\loadlin\vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb2 ro vga=0

[COMMON]

--
Robert Price
e-mail: bobprice at enteract dot com

lilo vs loadlin

Post by awea.. » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>> whats wrong with using loadlin vs lilo to boot linux?? I used it when I had
>> slackware setup on my 486, and I plan to use it on my K6. Are there
>> disadvantages? I also want to run win95 and soon winNT on the same box, so I
>> realy want to stay away from lilo.....

I don't know if this is a common problem, but when I use loadlin after
booting to msdos 6.20, linux (rh5) fails to automount my zip disk and
my cdrom as it should.  It works fine with lilo.

P.S.  You may want to check out bootpart, a useful utility from the
makers of winimage.  It comes with detailed intructions for setting up
various combinations of operating systems, including putting linux on
your NT boot menu.  I don't remember the address, but it shouldn't be
that difficult to find.