1. SCO5: Adding third SCSI disk, 2nd disk devices go away
Hardware: Pentium 90, Adaptec 2940 (ID=7), Seagate 2GB SCSI disk (ID=1),
Seagate 1GB (ID=0) SCSI disk and a Fujitsu 1GB SCSI disk (ID=6) ....
there is an HP DAT (ID=3) and a QIC-525 (ID=2) as well as a CD ROM drive
(ID=5). 32MB RAM. Also an ISA NIC.
OS: SCO5 OSE with the 5.0.0d patch installed.
When adding a third disk to the alad adapter using the following
technique .... (see detail) ... I end up with /dev/hd01 through /dev/hd0d
devices for the boot drive on ID=0 and /dev/hd10 through /dev/hd1d for the
new third drive on ID=6. Before the process started, the /dev/hd10
through /dev/hd1d devices pointed to the second disk on ID=1. There were
*no* /dev/hd2* devices at all!
I can "mv" the devices that were created to /dev/hd20 through /dev/hd2d
and re-make the original /dev/hd1* devices with "mknod" in order to patch
the problem, but if I relink I have to do it again as the devices are
remade incorrectly again. (I had to make the /dev/rhd* devices also).
The system is running fine with these manual "mknod" adjustments.
Has anyone else run into this? I can recreate the problem on different
servers .... can you recreate this? Can it be explained? Is my procedure
incorrect ... etcetera
The procedure I used to add the third disk was to:
"mkdev hd" after configuring and installing the drive as ID=6 (4 is the
only other ID left). I chose the default "alad" adapter 0, SCSI Bus 0, ID
6, LUN 0. After relinking, I re-ran "mkdev hd" and initialized the disk
w/fdisk and partitioned w/ divvy. When I went to divvy the second drive
using "divvy /dev/hd10" I got the partition table I just created on the
new third drive. I checked /dev and found the above referenced problem
with the /dev entries. I could still fsck and mount the filesystems on
the second drive, just could not divvy the disk.
I installed a second Adaptec and moved the third drive to it under ID=0 to
test the theory that SCO might have trouble with SCSI disks on ID's other
than 0 and 1). The same symptoms occur.
Open Systems Consulting & Training, Inc.
6851 So. Holly Circle
Suite 170 (303)694-9304 voice
Englewood, CO 80112 (303)694-1318 fax
2. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 4133846037
3. problem aioread/aiowrite from disk devices
4. version of software
5. Device disk problem.. need suggestion...
6. SNOBOL system for UNIX?
7. fla device (disk-on-chip) problem with DOC 5.2.x firmware
8. Possible to use AMD 3DNow instructions?
9. SMP problem: device driver for memory disk
10. Problems with floppy disk devices
11. big disk problems - or: big-disk problems?
12. Problem executing sound device on server machine and output to sound device
13. Problem with 2.4.14 mounting i2o device as root device Adaptec 3200 RAID controller?