Co-existing Linux & Win95

Post by Ong Choon Sen » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I have 2 hd. One with RH5.0 and the other with win95. I am presently doing
hd swapping to go into each OS. Is it possible for both the hd to co-exist,
using the Linux hd as primary and boot into win95 or vice vesa? If it is
possible, can anyone shown me how?

Thanks

Co-existing Linux & Win95

Post by Alastair McCormac » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

 Ok,
 Firstly install them both in the machine. Because your linux drive will
already be refering to /dev/hda you should make that one the master on the
primary ide channel. Install the second drive as a slave. Enable them both
in your bios.

 Your machine should boot into linux without a problem. Edit lilo.conf and
add:

other=/dev/hdb1 (or /dev/hdc1 if your gonna use the drive a master on the
secondary channel)
         label=Win95

and then run lilo

That should work ;)

Alastair

Quote:> Hi,

> I have 2 hd. One with RH5.0 and the other with win95. I am presently
doing
> hd swapping to go into each OS. Is it possible for both the hd to
co-exist,
> using the Linux hd as primary and boot into win95 or vice vesa? If it is
> possible, can anyone shown me how?

> Thanks

Co-existing Linux & Win95

Post by steve.. » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>  Ok,
>  Firstly install them both in the machine. Because your linux drive will
> already be refering to /dev/hda you should make that one the master on the
> primary ide channel. Install the second drive as a slave. Enable them both
> in your bios.

>  Your machine should boot into linux without a problem. Edit lilo.conf and
> add:

> other=/dev/hdb1 (or /dev/hdc1 if your gonna use the drive a master on the
> secondary channel)
>          label=Win95

> and then run lilo

> That should work ;)

If that doesn't work, you'll need to logically swap the drives for
DOS.  See http://www.wwnet.com/~stevelim/booting.html for the details.

--
 Steve Limkemann      ::  A microsecond here and a microsecond there, and
 Westland, Michigan   ::  before you know it, you're talking real-time.

1. Linux & HP DNS Co-existing

 HP has one of the earlier broken DNS implementations that should not
support underscores. We have a mixed HPUX/Linux/AIX environment and
had similar issues. named gives an error about underscores in names but
continues to resolve them anyway (We use bind-4.9.6-REL now).
We have since removed all of the underscores from host names. But, as I
recall, the names were still being resolved before we could remove all
references to names with underscores. We just set up aliases with both
dashes and underscores.

--
Jose Santiago

Systems Analyst - Scientific Systems
Komatsu Mining Systems - Peoria Operations
2300 N.E. Adams Street
P.O. Box 240
Peoria, IL 61650-0240

Voice:309-672-7325  Fax:309-672-7753

2. problem with recvfrom

3. Advanced Print & File Server co-existing with NT Servers ?

4. Xfree86 3.1.2 garbage on ATI MACH64

5. How do I create zone files for a DNS server

6. New & old Slackware Dist'n co-existing?

7. xfig and xpaint

8. Can Linux and WIN95 co-exist?

9. mishaps with co-existing OSs (Linux and Dos Partitions)

10. MFM and IDE co-existing under Linux?

11. Linux and Win2K Server Co-existing

12. Can Bluetooth co-exist with Linux & Asus motherboard?