Strange colors in X, erratic color blocks in console: Where do I start?

Strange colors in X, erratic color blocks in console: Where do I start?

Post by Duane Johns » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:16:22

I'm running an HP Pavilion N5425 laptop with a Trident *bladeXP
video card.  I've got X up and running on a Mandrake 8.2 install.
Here's the quirk:

In text/console mode, any program that modifies the color attribute of
a text character is subject to unpredictably modify the color
attribute of other text characters.  For example, scrolling through a
text file in emacs will cause random white blocks to appear
(presumably because emacs uses a black-on-white status bar, so it
modifies the color attribute).  An 'ls' command will often correctly
display the contents of a directory, but any colored filenames (such
as green executables) will have every second letter's color
incorrectly displayed (e.g. white on black instead of green on black).

In Xwindows, the screen resolution and color depth appears to be
working correctly, but the colors are all wrong, as though they're off
by one bit.  Generally, lighter colors are displayed as dark, and dark
ones remain dark.

Both of these problems do not occur in an MSDOS/Windows environment (I
dual boot with WinXP).

I would appreciate any pointers on where I could find a solution.  The
HP support site doesn't seem to have much in their knowledge bank on
this!

Thanks,
Duane Johnson