New user questions

Post by Matt » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

--------------BB05B76F16B485807A55F979

> I have installed Red Hat 4.2 (kernel 2.0.30) and am having these
> problems.  A couple of notes about my system, in case they are necessary.
>  I am always logged in as root.  It is a Pentium 200 clone, Millenium
> graphics card, 32MB RAM, primary boot to NT with NTFS partition and a FAT
> partition for exchanging files between NT and Linux.

> I'll start with the easiest:

> 1. How do I change my font size in X Windows?  I have the Win95-looking
> fvwm running at 1024x768, and the fonts are a little too small.  Also,
> how do I set my system to automatically load X Windows when it boots,
> before I log in. (and do I want to do that?)

Sorry, I can't help with fvwm95.   Why don't you try
http://www.terraware.net/ftp/pub/Mirrors/FVWM95/fvwm95.html for info.  As for
starting X on boot up, it can be done, but I prefer not to.

Quote:

> 2. How do I enable color ls output by default?  I know ls --color will do
> it, but I want it to do it always.  What is the name of thefile where I
> set this preference?

Assuming your shell is bash,  put  alias ls="ls --color" in the .bashrc file,
in your home directory

Quote:

> 3. I have installed 3C905 support using the 3c59x.o.  'insmod 3c59x'
> works, but I have these questions:

> a. how do I automatically load 3c59x when the system boots? (what text
> file do I insert it in?  I found rc.local but that doesn't look like the
> correct file)

Did you compile a custom kernel ?  It sounds like your using the stock
kernel, which  isn't  going to give you the best results.  By compiling a
custom kernel you can include support for hardware of your choice, and have
it built in or loaded automatically.  Check the kernel how-to.

Quote:

> b. Although I run 'insmod 3c59x' before running X windows, my TCP/IP stack
> doesn't "come to life" until I run X and manually activate the card, even
> though I have the start at boot box checked.

> c. We have a router that has the same IPX network address on both 802.2
> and 802.3.  I know this is wrong but the administrators don't care and
> won't change it.  How do I turn off 802.3 on my system?  I don't need it
> anyway.

Sorry, I can't help with IPX, but it is supported in linux.  Check the IPX
How-to

Quote:

> d. Once I get that fixed, how do I log into my IntranetWare server?  I
> have read that Caldera has an NDS client.  Do I need to use OpenLinux or
> can I get it for my Red Hat installation?  If so, where do I get it?

Again, check the IPX how-to.

Quote:

> 4. I downloaded NetScape 4.03 and finally got it to ungzip and untar into
> long file names, but it won't install using ns-install.  It says
> ns-install not found, even though ls lists the file.  How do I install
> it?

your current dir isn't included in your path.  I think it's a security
issue.  When your in the directory with the file you want to execute, type
./filename - in this case ./ns-install

Quote:

> 5. Is there a Microsoft Mail and/or Exchange compatible e-mail program for
> Linux?  We run MS Mail currently (moving to Exchange) and I want to use
> Linux as my primary O/S here at work.

None that I know of .

Matt

--------------BB05B76F16B485807A55F979

<HTML>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I have installed Red Hat 4.2 (kernel 2.0.30) and
am having these
<BR>problems.&nbsp; A couple of notes about my system, in case they are
necessary.
<BR>&nbsp;I am always logged in as root.&nbsp; It is a Pentium 200 clone,
Millenium
<BR>graphics card, 32MB RAM, primary boot to NT with NTFS partition and
a FAT
<BR>partition for exchanging files between NT and Linux.

<P>I'll start with the easiest:

<P>1. How do I change my font size in X Windows?&nbsp; I have the Win95-looking
<BR>fvwm running at 1024x768, and the fonts are a little too small.&nbsp;
Also,
<BR>how do I set my system to automatically load X Windows when it boots,
<BR>before I log in. (and do I want to do that?)</BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry, I can't help with fvwm95.&nbsp;&nbsp; Why don't you try <A HREF="http://www.terraware.net/ftp/pub/Mirrors/FVWM95/fvwm95.html">http://www.terraware.net/ftp/pub/Mirrors/FVWM95/fvwm95.html</A>
for info.&nbsp; As for starting X on boot up, it can be done, but I prefer
not to.
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;

<P>2. How do I enable color ls output by default?&nbsp; I know ls --color
will do
<BR>it, but I want it to do it always.&nbsp; What is the name of thefile
where I
<BR>set this preference?</BLOCKQUOTE>
Assuming your shell is bash,&nbsp; put&nbsp; alias ls="ls --color" in the
.bashrc file, in your home directory
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;

<P>3. I have installed 3C905 support using the 3c59x.o.&nbsp; 'insmod 3c59x'
<BR>works, but I have these questions:

<P>a. how do I automatically load 3c59x when the system boots? (what text
<BR>file do I insert it in?&nbsp; I found rc.local but that doesn't look
like the
<BR>correct file)</BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you compile a custom kernel ?&nbsp; It sounds like your using the stock
kernel, which&nbsp; isn't&nbsp; going to give you the best results.&nbsp;
By compiling a custom kernel you can include support for hardware of your
choice, and have it built in or loaded automatically.&nbsp; Check the kernel
how-to.
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;

<P>b. Although I run 'insmod 3c59x' before running X windows, my TCP/IP
stack
<BR>doesn't "come to life" until I run X and manually activate the card,
even
<BR>though I have the start at boot box checked.

<P>c. We have a router that has the same IPX network address on both 802.2
<BR>and 802.3.&nbsp; I know this is wrong but the administrators don't
care and
<BR>won't change it.&nbsp; How do I turn off 802.3 on my system?&nbsp;
I don't need it
<BR>anyway.</BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry, I can't help with IPX, but it is supported in linux.&nbsp; Check
the IPX How-to
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;

<P>d. Once I get that fixed, how do I log into my IntranetWare server?&nbsp;
<BR>have read that Caldera has an NDS client.&nbsp; Do I need to use OpenLinux
or
<BR>can I get it for my Red Hat installation?&nbsp; If so, where do I get
it?</BLOCKQUOTE>
Again, check the IPX how-to.
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;

<P>4. I downloaded NetScape 4.03 and finally got it to ungzip and untar
into
<BR>long file names, but it won't install using ns-install.&nbsp; It says
<BR>ns-install not found, even though ls lists the file.&nbsp; How do I
install
<BR>it?</BLOCKQUOTE>
your current dir isn't included in your path.&nbsp; I think it's a security
issue.&nbsp; When your in the directory with the file you want to execute,
type ./filename - in this case ./ns-install
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;

<P>5. Is there a Microsoft Mail and/or Exchange compatible e-mail program
for
<BR>Linux?&nbsp; We run MS Mail currently (moving to Exchange) and I want
to use
<BR>Linux as my primary O/S here at work.</BLOCKQUOTE>
None that I know of .
<PRE>Matt</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

Post by William R. Matti » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I have installed Red Hat 4.2 (kernel 2.0.30) and am having these
> problems.  A couple of notes about my system, in case they are necessary.
>  I am always logged in as root.  It is a Pentium 200 clone, Millenium
> graphics card, 32MB RAM, primary boot to NT with NTFS partition and a FAT
> partition for exchanging files between NT and Linux.

> I'll start with the easiest:

> 1. How do I change my font size in X Windows?  I have the Win95-looking
> fvwm running at 1024x768, and the fonts are a little too small.  Also,
> how do I set my system to automatically load X Windows when it boots,
> before I log in. (and do I want to do that?)

Simplest is Control/Left click while the pointer focus is in the window.
You can make the startup window start with different fonts etc but I
don't recall where the config file is for your window manager. Try
poking around in /etc/X11

Why would you want X started on system boot-up ?? Don't know. I
wouldn't.

Quote:

> 2. How do I enable color ls output by default?  I know ls --color will do
> it, but I want it to do it always.  What is the name of thefile where I
> set this preference?

Sigh ... this really is in the FAQ. You should read it.

Quote:

> 3. I have installed 3C905 support using the 3c59x.o.  'insmod 3c59x'
> works, but I have these questions:

> a. how do I automatically load 3c59x when the system boots? (what text
> file do I insert it in?  I found rc.local but that doesn't look like the
> correct file)

I may be confused here, does your "driver" not load on system boot up?
If
not then edit /etc/conf.modules and tell it to do so. You will also have
to edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 with the IP
paramaters. example:

DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=192.168.63.7
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
NETWORK=192.168.63.0
BROADCAST=192.168.63.15
ONBOOT=yes

/etc/conf.modules
alias eth0 3c905

Quote:

> b. Although I run 'insmod 3c59x' before running X windows, my TCP/IP stack
> doesn't "come to life" until I run X and manually activate the card, even
> though I have the start at boot box checked.

Sounds like Red Hat GUI thing :^(

Quote:

> c. We have a router that has the same IPX network address on both 802.2
> and 802.3.  I know this is wrong but the administrators don't care and
> won't change it.  How do I turn off 802.3 on my system?  I don't need it
> anyway.

hummmm, man IPX maybe ??? This one I don't have a clue. Sorry.

Quote:

> d. Once I get that fixed, how do I log into my IntranetWare server?  I
> have read that Caldera has an NDS client.  Do I need to use OpenLinux or
> can I get it for my Red Hat installation?  If so, where do I get it?

> 4. I downloaded NetScape 4.03 and finally got it to ungzip and untar into
> long file names, but it won't install using ns-install.  It says
> ns-install not found, even though ls lists the file.  How do I install
> it?

Sigh... this is also a *very* FAQ. Linux is not WINBLOWS. or DOS. if the
file in question is *not* specifically in your path (you do what path is
? ) then you have to specify the relative, or absolute path. ie: if the
file foo is in your current directory the ./foo will do. Or if foo is in
/tmp and your current directory is /home/usrname then /tmp/foo will
work.

Quote:

> 5. Is there a Microsoft Mail and/or Exchange compatible e-mail program for
> Linux?  We run MS Mail currently (moving to Exchange) and I want to use
> Linux as my primary O/S here at work.

I havn't been entirely successful at getting microSlop mail working very
well, but then again, I am *not* very motivated either :^) But if its
SMTP compliant or POP3 compatable it "should" . I use Eudora under NT to
collect mail from a plethora of Linux boxes and RISC6000 boxes.

Quote:

> Thank you,

your welcome

Regards
Bill

--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.

(972) 256-3219          | and... in high heels.

1. New User Questions

Setting up a new Unix server machine, and I have come accross a couple of
problems that someone might be able to help with.

1.  Where can I find the Zmodem transfer utilities (sz and rz)?

2.  How can I tell PICO to line wrap after reaching the end of a line
while editing a doccument?

3.  I'm getting ^M's after a cariage return during a talk session, how can
I avoid this?

4.  Finally, how do I properly configure the TIN newsreader to use the
PICO editor in order to post articles?

Whew... I hope someone can help me out.  Please e-mail me , because I'm
having problems with my newsreader to begin with.

--
                         Brandon Hunsicker
                   Mech II, Carleton University

2. ufs filesystem on external scsi drive

3. new user question

4. Is Unix compatable with IPX protocol?

5. New User Question

6. NIS problem

7. New User Question: What are Slices?

8. When I try to make a connection from Win98se to fedora linux it asks me the password, but though I put it, it doesn’t accept it

9. New user question about the keyboard

10. new user question: ppp-off script

11. New User Question about ftp

12. New User Questions