Simple howto for configuring a standalone firewall/router ?

Simple howto for configuring a standalone firewall/router ?

Post by Richard Curt » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 23:14:40

Hi.  I am quite new to linux, and need to configure a standalone
firewall/router box similar to ipcop/smoothwall.

The important thingas that I need to do are :
NAT Masquerading
Firewall
DHCP serving clients with IP and DNS info etc.
DNS forwarding

The reason I cant use IPCOP is that I need to implement traffic
shaping which is far too complex for me to do with a 2.2.19 kernel.
Can anyone point me in the right direction of a decent howto which is
not too complex.
Once I have the box up and running, I can then begin to play and learn
how to do the bandwidth management, but cant do that yet as I dont
have the required knowledge to setup and configure the basics.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a simple howto
Richard

Post by Paul Lutu » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 02:05:50

> Hi.  I am quite new to linux, and need to configure a standalone
> firewall/router box similar to ipcop/smoothwall.

> The important thingas that I need to do are :
> NAT Masquerading
> Firewall
> DHCP serving clients with IP and DNS info etc.
> DNS forwarding

> The reason I cant use IPCOP is that I need to implement traffic
> shaping which is far too complex for me to do with a 2.2.19 kernel.

Goal: complex configuration.

Quote:> Can anyone point me in the right direction of a decent howto which is
> not too complex.

Requirement: simple instructions.

Quote:> Once I have the box up and running, I can then begin to play and learn
> how to do the bandwidth management, but cant do that yet as I dont
> have the required knowledge to setup and configure the basics.

> Can anyone point me in the right direction of a simple howto

Requirement: simple how-to.

What is wrong with this picture?

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

1. HowTo: Set up a simple cable modem router?

Dear subscribers.

At home I have a cable modem internet connection and two computers, one of
them running SuSE 7.2. My problem is that my non-service minded internet
service provider's DHCP server doesn't allow each customer to allocate more
than one IP-address. Therefore I would like to set up an internet bridge
using the SuSE machine to allow the other computers to have access to the
internet simultaneously.

My SuSE installation is running kernel v. 2.4. I would like the SuSE machine
to host a DHCP server for the internal network. What I would like to have
help with is some information about how to set up a system as described
above, if there is any HowTo:s to read etc.

Kind regards, Ola Theander

2. dhcp server problem

3. SOHO router: 1 NIC & 1 modem - can't ping outside

4. Firewall/Router setup Pointers to Howto's

5. Thinking of getting an Alpha

6. * New HOWTO Article - Making a simple Linux Firewall

7. c++ static objects and fork

8. setting up a simple router/firewall in Linux

9. howto firewall/router?

10. Too stupid to configure a simple router!

11. Help me please configuring second network card for router/firewall

12. Configuring an Ultra 5 with Solaris 10 to make router/firewall in my home net ;)