TRIO S32 Config

Post by Frederic Oge » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello everybody,

This is the first time I install Linux, and I have several problems. In fact
only two problems, the first one is the setup of XFree 86 because my TRIO S32
cards doesn't seem to be supported. Can anyone help me in configurating it. My
second problem is that my ethernet card does not respond. Here comes my
configuration :

Pentium 133
32 Mo RAM
HD IDE 1 Gb
Display Adaptator : miroCrystal 22SD 2 Mo  TRIO S32 chipset
 Horizontal freq  31 Hz to 80 Hz
 Verttical  freq  50 Hz to 100 Hz
 Pixel freq 25 Mhz to 135 Mhz

Screen : 17 inches Yakumo PS1764
 Horizontal 30 kHz to 64 Khz
 Vertical 50 Hz to 100 Hz
 Bandwidth  100 Mhz at -3 db
Network Card Prolan PCI (I think it must be an NE2000 clone)

Here what I get at startup for the net card.

libra kernel : eth0 :ewrk3_probe() : Detected a device already registered at
0x2e0
libra kernel : eth0 :ewrk3_probe() : Detected a device already registered at
0x300
libra kernel : eth0 :ewrk3_probe() : Detected a device already registered at
0x360
libra kernel : eth0 :ewrk3_probe() : Detected a device already registered at
0x3c0

Can You help me solving my problems ?

Thanks a lot

Kind regards,

        Frederic Oger

TRIO S32 Config

Post by JM » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello everybody,

>This is the first time I install Linux, and I have several problems. In fact
>only two problems, the first one is the setup of XFree 86 because my TRIO S32
>cards doesn't seem to be supported. Can anyone help me in configurating it.
My
>second problem is that my ethernet card does not respond. Here comes my
>configuration :

>Pentium 133
>32 Mo RAM
>HD IDE 1 Gb
>Display Adaptator : miroCrystal 22SD 2 Mo  TRIO S32 chipset
> Horizontal freq  31 Hz to 80 Hz
> Verttical  freq  50 Hz to 100 Hz
> Pixel freq 25 Mhz to 135 Mhz

>Screen : 17 inches Yakumo PS1764
> Horizontal 30 kHz to 64 Khz
> Vertical 50 Hz to 100 Hz
> Bandwidth  100 Mhz at -3 db
>Network Card Prolan PCI (I think it must be an NE2000 clone)

>Here what I get at startup for the net card.

>libra kernel : eth0 :ewrk3_probe() : Detected a device already registered at
>0x2e0
>libra kernel : eth0 :ewrk3_probe() : Detected a device already registered at
>0x300
>libra kernel : eth0 :ewrk3_probe() : Detected a device already registered at
>0x360
>libra kernel : eth0 :ewrk3_probe() : Detected a device already registered at
>0x3c0

>Can You help me solving my problems ?

>Thanks a lot

>Kind regards,

>    Frederic Oger

1) The Trio Chipset is actually a variant of the S3 chipset... therefore use
the S3 driver... it works, as does your card...

2) Your Ethernet card (I believe) is software configurable. Boot up DOS and
use the utility which came with the card to choose/setup the card at
I/O 340 and IRQ to 5, or 12 or any other unused IRQ...

3) The error messages are due to the ethernet probe looking at those addresses
for your ETHERNET card. The results are due to the OS thinking that there is
already something there at those addresses WHICH IT ALREADY KNOWS ABOUT...

You need to either stop the probing, or set up the card to an address where it
will probe first (such as 340...)

TURN OFF ALL but the NE2000 drivers in the kernel configuration, and
recompile it... Install it properly (make mrproper, make config, make
clean, make depend, make zImage, make zlilo)...

Once done your messages will stop....

-JMS