E-mail from ATI Tech Support / ATI TV `n Linux...

E-mail from ATI Tech Support / ATI TV `n Linux...

Post by Jeraime » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Message From ATI Tech. Support RE: Linux Support:
Rec. via e-mail on 2/24/1999

------------>8 Start
E-mail ---------------------------------------------------------

<snip>

The following information regarding TV Tuner support and development
information is copied from the "Developer Relations" section of the ATI
Website. Please check there for the latest available information:

http://www.veryComputer.com/*/dev_lair/dev_lair.html

TV Tuner Development Information

A kit is now available for the development of software which utilizes the
video-in-a-window and the TV tuner functionality of the ATI-TV and
All-In-Wonder products. The kit is composed of documentation, a sample
application with source code and all necessary files to utilize ATI
proprietary, high-level extensions to our Video for Windows drivers (there
are no MCI drivers for capture functions). The kit supports Windows 3.1,
Windows 95 and Windows 98.

At this time, there is no support for Windows NT for the ATI TV Tuner, from
both an application and development standpoint. Should this change, there
will be an announcement on our web page.

There are no plans for ATI to develop similar drivers for additional
operating systems or to offer register level programming information for
third party driver development.

Video Input/Output - Operating Systems Supported

ATI manufactures products with either or both video output and video input
capabilities. Products with the video out feature contain the ATI ImpacTV2
chip. Products with video input capabilities can be a separate, add-in board
such as ATI TV or integrated in a single board with graphics such as the ATI
All-in-Wonder Pro. These features are supported solely in Microsoft Windows
95 and Windows 98.

There are no plans to extend support for these features to other operating
systems such as OS/2 or UNIX. We will not offer low-level programming
materials to individuals wishing to implement drivers to support such
features. Many of the features are implemented via third party chipsets with
development information which cannot be redistributed by ATI.

Software Developers who would like to obtain the SDK, or have any questions
regarding this information, should contact ATI Developer Relations, through
the "Developer's Lair" web pages (
http://www.veryComputer.com/*/dev_lair/dev_lair.html).

<snip>

-------------------------- End E-mail 8< --------------------------------

So.... get another card... :(

Jeraimee

--
Who says we can't all get along? Bring `em over here... I'll show them
gettin` along!

E-mail from ATI Tech Support / ATI TV `n Linux...

Post by Ben » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Good info. If ATI doesn't get a Linux "All In Wonder" going soon.
Somebody else will. I guess ATI is doing the best thet can as fast as
they can. I am waiting for my next video card purchase to be an ATI all
in wonder 128 but if it doesn't support Linux I may not buy it. I am
trying to buy NO hardware that only supports Windows. Just my small
little opinion.

Ben

E-mail from ATI Tech Support / ATI TV `n Linux...

Post by Jeraime » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I also wanted to buy the AIW 128... but... after I got that e-mail I'm
thinking again...

What may happen is that I might have to run 2 boxes...

I like my soundblaster live, DVD, All in Wonder, etc... the whole family
loves the stuff... but I only want to 'use' Linux...

we've got a 27inch monitor that's run off the same box (surround sound,
etc...) and I guess it (the windoze box) will end up being ran just for that
stuff and my personal box will be linux.

Doesn't lppk as though I'm getting any other choice...

Jeraimee

>Good info. If ATI doesn't get a Linux "All In Wonder" going soon.
>Somebody else will. I guess ATI is doing the best thet can as fast as
>they can. I am waiting for my next video card purchase to be an ATI all
>in wonder 128 but if it doesn't support Linux I may not buy it. I am
>trying to buy NO hardware that only supports Windows. Just my small
>little opinion.

>Ben

E-mail from ATI Tech Support / ATI TV `n Linux...

Post by Brian Hun » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Creative labs seems to be in the Linux-support PR mode.  They have a
'coming soon' link on developer.soundblaster.com and from what I recall
they are supporting the EMU10K and the DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM products.
But like all great things, this will take time.

ATI's stance is a little more rigid.  I believe they are in cahoots with
Microsoft so any laterial action might detriment their agreement with
MS.  But like all great barriers, that one may fall.

HTH.

Sincerely,
Brian

> I also wanted to buy the AIW 128... but... after I got that e-mail I'm
> thinking again...

> What may happen is that I might have to run 2 boxes...

> I like my soundblaster live, DVD, All in Wonder, etc... the whole family
> loves the stuff... but I only want to 'use' Linux...

> we've got a 27inch monitor that's run off the same box (surround sound,
> etc...) and I guess it (the windoze box) will end up being ran just for that
> stuff and my personal box will be linux.

> Doesn't lppk as though I'm getting any other choice...

> Jeraimee

> >Good info. If ATI doesn't get a Linux "All In Wonder" going soon.
> >Somebody else will. I guess ATI is doing the best thet can as fast as
> >they can. I am waiting for my next video card purchase to be an ATI all
> >in wonder 128 but if it doesn't support Linux I may not buy it. I am
> >trying to buy NO hardware that only supports Windows. Just my small
> >little opinion.

> >Ben

E-mail from ATI Tech Support / ATI TV `n Linux...

Post by Jeraime » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

ATI Overwhelming support of "WebTV Compatibility" tells me they are the
empires close companions.

I will however keep booting to win98 to watch XFiles and the new Batman
cartoon in Dolby Surround on my All-in-Wonder card ala. SoundBlaster
Live.... <shrug>...

Thank the empire we have choices :)

Jeraimee

--