Domain Name Server problems

Post by Graem » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
    Recently I installed suse linux 6.2 on my gateway g6-433 celeron. This
process wasn't as easy as I expected. After much tinkering, I am running
Xfree86 and KDE in super vga. The interface looks nice. So my system seems
pretty good so far. However, I am having trouble with my connection to the
internet. Earlier in the week I configured wvdial with my ISP's domain name
server parameters and was able to use netscape to surf the net-albeit my
system had no sound. Later I installed open sound system to recognise my on
board ensonice pci sound card as well as star office. Having done this,
whilst I now have sound support and an office suite I can't surf the web
properly. Netscape can't find my domain name server. This is despite the
fact that wvdial contains the correct parameters. Even more interesting is
the fact that having dialed my ISP, Netscape can access the suse support
site if I type in its numerical address being http://194.112.123.200.
Attempts at clicking around the site result in Netscape returning the same
error message as earlier.

I would appreciate any tips on how to get my external modem running properly
again in linux. I know that it is not a hardware problem because the modem
operates under windows 98 just fine. (I have a dual boot system).

Graeme.

Post by Georg Ortman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi,
>     Recently I installed suse linux 6.2 on my gateway g6-433 celeron. This
> process wasn't as easy as I expected. After much tinkering, I am running
> Xfree86 and KDE in super vga. The interface looks nice. So my system seems
> pretty good so far. However, I am having trouble with my connection to the
> internet. Earlier in the week I configured wvdial with my ISP's domain name
> server parameters and was able to use netscape to surf the net-albeit my
> system had no sound. Later I installed open sound system to recognise my on
> board ensonice pci sound card as well as star office. Having done this,
> whilst I now have sound support and an office suite I can't surf the web
> properly. Netscape can't find my domain name server.

Check /etc/resolv.conf for the right settings for nameserver. Should read
something like this

search your.domain
nameserver your.isp.domain.server    (IP-Adress, not name)

--
Regards

   To get my PGP key send mail with subject "Send PGP key"

Domain Name Server problems

Post by Gordon Reede » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Same problem here:  I was going to post a "Newbie vs Linux" on
this, but since the question has already been asked, I'll
add my problem:

Same Linux, SuSE 6.2
So, I got my modem working.  Minicom can talk to it.
I tried wvdial to get ppp up and running.  But it
choked.  So I read page 160 and so of the manual and
created the ppp-up, ppp-down, ppp.chat scripts.  This
all seems to work.
-PPP starts, IP addresses are assigned.  Compression
is enabled.  But ARP (?) authentication doesn't work.
But it think that's OK.
- With the PPP link established I do a "netstat -r"
and see that the default route and gateway address'
are added to the kernel routing table.
- I now do a ping <some domain>.  and get a
"ping: <some domain> is invalid" or some such.

-So know I do a "nslookup". at the prompt I do a
"server 199.3.12.2".  That's my ISP's name server
address (realy).

- Now I look up <some domain> and get an IP address back.

- Ping <some.domain.ip.address> now returns the ping
statistics.

So it looks like I have a working PPP connection, I'm
just not getting to the DNS server.  SuSE does somthing
strange, and in the /etc/config file I changed the item
that allows SuSe to maintain the /etc/resolv.conf file.
I manualy put in the domain and nameserver items.
It still doesn't work.

I'm missing somthing here, I just havn't been able to
figgure out what.

Any one care to venture a guess?

Thanks

--
Just my $0.02 worth, hope it helps.

PS:
Sure this is my real address.
But just try to get past my spam filters.

Post by N. McNeil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Same problem here:  I was going to post a "Newbie vs Linux" on
> this, but since the question has already been asked, I'll
> add my problem:

> Same Linux, SuSE 6.2
> So, I got my modem working.  Minicom can talk to it.
> I tried wvdial to get ppp up and running.  But it
> choked.  So I read page 160 and so of the manual and
> created the ppp-up, ppp-down, ppp.chat scripts.  This
> all seems to work.
> -PPP starts, IP addresses are assigned.  Compression
> is enabled.  But ARP (?) authentication doesn't work.
> But it think that's OK.
> - With the PPP link established I do a "netstat -r"
> and see that the default route and gateway address'
> are added to the kernel routing table.
> - I now do a ping <some domain>.  and get a
> "ping: <some domain> is invalid" or some such.

> -So know I do a "nslookup". at the prompt I do a
> "server 199.3.12.2".  That's my ISP's name server
> address (realy).

> - Now I look up <some domain> and get an IP address back.

> - Ping <some.domain.ip.address> now returns the ping
> statistics.

> So it looks like I have a working PPP connection, I'm
> just not getting to the DNS server.  SuSE does somthing
> strange, and in the /etc/config file I changed the item
> that allows SuSe to maintain the /etc/resolv.conf file.
> I manualy put in the domain and nameserver items.
> It still doesn't work.

> I'm missing somthing here, I just havn't been able to
> figgure out what.

> Any one care to venture a guess?

> Thanks

<snip> see thread

Check /etc/host.conf
it should read....

order hosts, bind
multi on

--
N. McNeill

http://linuxe*.com

1. Can one Domain Name Server be used for 2 domains ??

Hi Linux Gurus :

        I have successfully set up DNS on my Linux box for our
        organization. We have a WAN link up with another facility
        through routers. Would it be possible to have our DNS resolve
        the host names and addresses of hosts in the other facilty.
        Any help and directions in this regard is highly appreciated.

        General Info:

        linux.aaa.org is the DNS for aaa.org domain.

        router1.aaa.org is the router that routes between aaa.org and
        bbb.org domains or networks.

        Similarily, there is routerj.bbb.org that sits on the bbb.org
        side to route the packets to aaa.org network.

        linux.aaa.org's routing table has a default route set to
        router1.aaa.org .

ThanX a bunch
S.R. Myneni

PS: As I do not have direct access to the net I am posting this from my
    wife's account. Please feel free to send your suggestions to her

2. Stats comp.os.linux.networking (last 7 days)

3. how can a machine has both a real domain name and a bogus domain name?

4. wierd file problems

5. NIS domain names and DNS domain names not matching.

6. Can't partion

7. Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

8. Emacs internals + lisp guru question

9. Server Domain name & Host name

10. Can I add multiple Domain.Names to one Name server.

11. HELP changing domain name and server name

12. Domain Name Server Setup Problem.

13. PPP Problems with Domain Name servers