Setting Up Proxy Server & Firewall

Post by Mohamed Devj » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Ok so I managed to setup my linux box with IP masquerading firewall rulests
etc.  It seems to work fine.  Now come my next questions.  Do I need to
setup a DNS server on my linux box so that my clients are able to access the
internet?  or can I input my ISP's DNS info on my win95 clients?  I can
currently ping outside my firewall from my clients but not reslove names.

Mo

Setting Up Proxy Server & Firewall

Post by Neil Fenemo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks really a personal choice, I prefer to use the linux box as I use two
different dial ups, hence two different sets of domain servers, and rather
than have windows wiat around etc, I just have my script change the linux
box and restart named.

How ever if you can see the outside world ok, I don't see why you can't just
point the windows boxes to your ISP's domain servers.

Neil

Post by Rand Graha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Ok so I managed to setup my linux box with IP masquerading firewall rulests
> etc.  It seems to work fine.  Now come my next questions.  Do I need to
> setup a DNS server on my linux box so that my clients are able to access the
> internet?  or can I input my ISP's DNS info on my win95 clients?  I can
> currently ping outside my firewall from my clients but not reslove names.

> Mo

You don't *need* to set up your linux box as a dns server. You can
set up windows boxes to use your linux box as a gateway. And then
enter the dns information from your isp into the windows boxes.

Setting Up Proxy Server & Firewall

Post by Anthony Schlemme » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Ok so I managed to setup my linux box with IP masquerading firewall rulests
> etc.  It seems to work fine.  Now come my next questions.  Do I need to
> setup a DNS server on my linux box so that my clients are able to access the
> internet?  or can I input my ISP's DNS info on my win95 clients?  I can
> currently ping outside my firewall from my clients but not reslove names.
> Mo

I simply setup my internal box to use my ISP's domain and nameservers. My
Linux firewall is specified as the default gateway in my internal system's
network setup. This works quite nicely and I didn't have to worry about
managing my own name server.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer

Setting Up Proxy Server & Firewall

Post by Mohamed Devj » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for the tips. My Linux box is receiving its IP info via DHCP.  Would
I need to change the DNS info on my win boxes as they change on my Linux
box?

The DNS info on my linux box rarely changes but I have to ask this question
to satisfy my own curiousity.  Also then is there any practical use for
setting up a DNS server for my internal LAN?

Thanks again all,

Quote:> Ok so I managed to setup my linux box with IP masquerading firewall
rulests
> etc.  It seems to work fine.  Now come my next questions.  Do I need to
> setup a DNS server on my linux box so that my clients are able to access
the
> internet?  or can I input my ISP's DNS info on my win95 clients?  I can
> currently ping outside my firewall from my clients but not reslove names.

> Mo

Setting Up Proxy Server & Firewall

Post by Rand Graha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Thanks for the tips. My Linux box is receiving its IP info via DHCP.  Would
> I need to change the DNS info on my win boxes as they change on my Linux
> box?

What DNS info changes? If the ip address of the external interface
of your linux box changes, it shouldn't affect your internal
machines. Now if your isp starts using different DNS servers,
you might have to update your windows boxes.