Red Hat 4.2, LILO, and System Commander

Post by Catherine Freedma » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

LILO Gods-Help!!!,

                  I will soon be installing RH Linux as a second OS on a
second hard drive (slave). The OS on the primary drive is Win95, but I
do not believe this to be relevant. I will be using System Commander
3.02 as my Boot Manager. Sys Com suggests that I install LILO into the
root superblock (partition boot record) rather than into the MBR. This
is because Sys Com uses its own MBR and scans all partition boot records
for bootable OS's and handles the organization. What is the precise
procedure during the Linux installation to ensure that I am installing
LILO into the partition boot record and not into the MBR?

                                            Thanks in advance,

                                                          Russ Myers

Post by kepe » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> LILO Gods-Help!!!,

>                   I will soon be installing RH Linux as a second OS on a
> second hard drive (slave). The OS on the primary drive is Win95, but I
> do not believe this to be relevant. I will be using System Commander
> 3.02 as my Boot Manager. Sys Com suggests that I install LILO into the
> root superblock (partition boot record) rather than into the MBR. This
> is because Sys Com uses its own MBR and scans all partition boot records
> for bootable OS's and handles the organization. What is the precise
> procedure during the Linux installation to ensure that I am installing
> LILO into the partition boot record and not into the MBR?

>                                             Thanks in advance,

>                                                           Russ Myers

RedHats install will give you 3 options. MBR, floppy, or HD. You will
know it when you see it.
--
Respectfully,

Thought for the day: No utility program that says it can fix everything,
is anywhere near as reliable as a little knowledge

Red Hat 4.2, LILO, and System Commander

Post by Tim Smit » Wed, 13 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

[SNIP]
>I will be using System Commander 3.02 as my Boot Manager. Sys Com
>suggests that I install LILO into the root superblock (partition boot record)
>rather than into the MBR.
[SNIP]
>What is the precise procedure during the Linux installation to ensure that I
>am installing LILO into the partition boot record and not into the MBR?

I'd never installed LINUX before and had two other OS's loaded with System
Commander when I tried this...have no fear, while I can't recall the process,
LILO and System Commander worked perfectly together and the whole
process was so completely obvious as I did it you should have no trouble...
just read everything that's displayed and pay attention. My installation
worked perfectly, first time.

-Tim

1. Red HAt 4.2 and LILO

hi
I am trying to install Red Hat Linux 4.2 on disk1 on a PC; disk0
contains DOS
and NT, which work.  Linux on my 2nd disk with the following  set up ;
read the Linux+NT FAQ and BOOTPART.txt but can't seem to bring up Linux.

Pentium 200/mmx, 32mb RAM, matriox MIL 4MB video, 4GB WD, 3.5GB IBM,
16x toshiba CDROM.
I am install Linux on my 2nd HD with the following fdisk setup:
hdb1 1   13   83 Linux /root
hdb2 14  22   82  ..   swap
hdb3 23  226  83 .. /usr
hdb4 227 787  83   .. /home

LILO gave me 3 options - I did not see an option for "Super block"
unless it is
the root partition.
/hda1 MBR - this is where DOS exists
/hdb1  root partition of Linux
/fd#   floopy drive option

I selected  /hdb1 for LILO and tried to use the Red Hat boot disk to get
into
Linux ; could only get into "#" boot prompt with rescue option. The "dd"
cmd did not exist and there were no lilo files in /etc. When I run
fdisk, it is
looking for /dev/sda.
I also tried to use a utility called BOOTPART and when I try to boot
into
Linux , get a page fault. When I type out bootlinx.bin
No systemdisk. booting from harddisk , can not load from harddisk,
insert system
disk and press any key.

Any kind of help would be greatly appriciated.
sriram

2. Real Player

3. No LILO or /boot on Red Hat 4.2

4. printed LDP manuals in Europe available

5. need help on install lilo (red hat version 4.2)

6. Deamon Guidlines

7. Help installing Red Hat 4.2 on Win95 and zip disk system

8. Plotting with RS6000 43P

9. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

10. Red Hat 7.0 Boot Problems with System Commander 2000

11. Win95-OSR2, System Commander, want to install Red Hat Linux

12. Red Hat Linux and either Partition Magic or System Commander?

13. Installation problems with Red Hat 4.0 with System Commander 2000