Newbie needs help with Dialup-PPP in Linux

Newbie needs help with Dialup-PPP in Linux

Post by Benedikt Laub » Sun, 25 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi!

I just installed Linux on my home PC.

Now, I want to dial up my PPP account at our university, which
worked fine in Windows.

How is this done in Linux/XFree - is there a step by step
how-to?

Will I be able to run Netscape, a Newsreader and Mail Program
like in Windows with Winsock?
Do I need any other software and where can I get it from?
Do I have to setup all the IP-adresses in the Slackware Setup
or somewhere else?

Any help (pointers to faq's, how-to's, etc.) is appreciated.

Hey - I am a total Linux - newbie. Please be patient!

WWW]    http://mod-pc33.hrz.uni-kassel.de/

PHAX]   +49 (0) 56135674
VOICE]  +49 (0) 56135674

Post by Robert A Da » Mon, 26 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Hi!

: I just installed Linux on my home PC.

: Now, I want to dial up my PPP account at our university, which
: worked fine in Windows.

: How is this done in Linux/XFree - is there a step by step
: how-to?

Yeah, but I hear it's pretty lame.. I didn't use it.

: Will I be able to run Netscape, a Newsreader and Mail Program
: like in Windows with Winsock?

Yup.

: Do I need any other software and where can I get it from?

You need to install the stuff you want from the N series

: Do I have to setup all the IP-adresses in the Slackware Setup
: or somewhere else?

You do it in PPP options file.

--

I could probably help you out more.. mail me if you want ;)

              /  RoB and stuff in '95 \

    OO Changing my .sig for a better world... OO

[Extra long white space. Big fun.]

Newbie needs help with Dialup-PPP in Linux

Post by Paul Matthew » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

You can download Netscape from ftp.netscape2.com, or www.netscape.com.

Regards,

Paul Matthews

Newbie needs help with Dialup-PPP in Linux

Post by Perry Gri » Tue, 04 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Dial-up connections are most easily made using "dip".
Dip uses a script file that can be configured for
initialization, dialing, getting dynamic IP addresses,
etc.  Basically everything to get you connected.
Learn all you can about dip.  Read the SERIAL howto and
the NET howto also.  You may have all the howto's already
if you installed from a good Slackware CD distribution.
Poke around your new system and look for them.  They
may still be on the CD???

A linux version of Netscape can be ftp'ed (don't have any
sites handy).  Mosaic is also available (home is at uiuc.edu).
I like xrn for a news reader.  Most of this stuff runs under
XFree.  Xrn can probably be got from major linux ftp sites
or maybe some where at x.org.  There are program that run
under X for ftp and mail also.  If it' can be done with Winsock,
it was probably done with unix first.  Unix (& clones like linux)
is the networking environment, as far as I can tell.

--

"I wouldn't have made it up if it wasn't true."