More than one print queue to a printer

Post by dopamine_jim » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:08:36

Hello,

i successfully setup my printer using Apsfilter in my RH7.3 Linux box,
thank bonehead and Dr.Yuan Liu for helping, their replies are useful.
Now i have got another problem, how to set two or three print queues
to one printer, can Linux do that?

Any reply will be appreciate, thank you.

More than one print queue to a printer

Post by Lew Pitch » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:52:33

On 10 Feb 2003 06:08:36 -0800, in comp.os.linux.setup,

>Hello,

>i successfully setup my printer using Apsfilter in my RH7.3 Linux box,
>thank bonehead and Dr.Yuan Liu for helping, their replies are useful.
>Now i have got another problem, how to set two or three print queues
>to one printer, can Linux do that?

Yes. Just make sure that each print queue is implemented with a seperate
spool subdirectory, and that all the printcap entries point to the same
device. I.e.

printer1:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/printer1:if=/usr/share/printfilter:

printer2:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/printer2:if=/usr/share/printfilter:

printer3:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/printer3:if=/usr/share/printfilter:

Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

More than one print queue to a printer

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:32:07

Quote:

> i successfully setup my printer using Apsfilter in my RH7.3 Linux box,
> thank bonehead and Dr.Yuan Liu for helping, their replies are useful.
> Now i have got another problem, how to set two or three print queues
> to one printer, can Linux do that?

Unless you are trying to do some sort of accounting by specific print
queues, you can use the same queue for multiple filters to the same
printer.  Just set up /etc/printcap with different printer names and
filters for each and specify any other than default with -P switch in lpr
command line.

For ancient example see:
http://home.xnet.com/~efflandt/linux/hp-print.txt