How TO? Linux Red Hat 4.0 + Win95 32Fat

Post by Sam Denni » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

--------------D6CD7F19EA65ACFC86943EFD

Hi there
I was hoping someone out there would be willing to answer a few
questions I had before I total destroy my system.  First of all I'm
running Windows 95 with Fat32 on a 200MMX K6 with 64meg of EDO.  I just
got really interested in Linux. I just bought a book on it and it comes
with Red Hat 4.0, Slackware 96 distribution and Caldera's Open Linux.
They all use  the 2.0.18 Linux kernel except maybe Open Linux, but
that's not important to me right now.  I'm starting with Red Hat and
will move from there.  So I've read a few article and can't seem to find
out what to do about the Fat32 problem!  I haven't tried to install Red
Hat yet but it seem to be that Linux doesn't get along with the Fat32.
It would be great if some one read this and could explain to me what to
do.  Something to keep in mind is that I  am a Linux beginner so if you
start going off with terms used for Linux I won't understand a thing
your saying.

I have access to almost all software and have partition magic and system
commander at my finger tips.
I'm at a University and have fast asses (40-100kb sec)  to internet
resources so if I can get new software.

Any other tips or tricks that might be helpful to me would be greatly
appreciated.

--------------D6CD7F19EA65ACFC86943EFD

<HTML>
Hi there
<BR>I was hoping someone out there would be willing to answer a few questions
I had before I total destroy my system.&nbsp; First of all I'm running
Windows 95 with Fat32 on a 200MMX K6 with 64meg of EDO.&nbsp; I just got
really interested in <FONT COLOR="#FF0000">Linux.</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000">
I just bought a book on it and it comes with Red Hat 4.0, Slackware 96
distribution and Caldera's Open Linux.&nbsp; They all use&nbsp; the 2.0.18
Linux kernel except maybe Open Linux, but that's not important to me right
now.&nbsp; I'm starting with Red Hat and will move from there.&nbsp; So
I've read a few article and can't seem to find out what to do about the
Fat32 problem!&nbsp; I haven't tried to install Red Hat yet but it seem
to be that Linux doesn't get along with the Fat32.&nbsp; It would be great
if some one read this and could explain to me what to do.&nbsp; Something
to keep in mind is that I&nbsp; am a Linux beginner so if you start going
off with terms used for Linux I won't understand a thing your saying.</FONT>

<P><FONT COLOR="#000000">I have access to almost all software and have
partition magic and system commander at my finger tips.</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#000000">I'm at a University and have fast asses (40-100kb
sec)&nbsp; to internet resources so if I can get new software.</FONT>

<P><FONT COLOR="#000000">Any other tips or tricks that might be helpful
to me would be greatly appreciated.</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

Post by terr » Sun, 16 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hi there
> I was hoping someone out there would be willing to answer a few
> questions I had before I total destroy my system.  First of all I'm
> running Windows 95 with Fat32 on a 200MMX K6 with 64meg of EDO.  I
> just got really interested in Linux. I just bought a book on it and it
> comes with Red Hat 4.0, Slackware 96 distribution and Caldera's Open
> Linux.  They all use  the 2.0.18 Linux kernel except maybe Open Linux,
> but that's not important to me right now.  I'm starting with Red Hat
> and will move from there.  So I've read a few article and can't seem
> to find out what to do about the Fat32 problem!  I haven't tried to
> install Red Hat yet but it seem to be that Linux doesn't get along
> with the Fat32.  It would be great if some one read this and could
> explain to me what to do.  Something to keep in mind is that I  am a
> Linux beginner so if you start going off with terms used for Linux I
> won't understand a thing your saying.

> I have access to almost all software and have partition magic and
> system commander at my finger tips.
> I'm at a University and have fast asses (40-100kb sec)  to internet
> resources so if I can get new software.

> Any other tips or tricks that might be helpful to me would be greatly
> appreciated.

I've never used Partition Magic but I have a Western Digital 3.2gig
drive that needed EZdrive in order for Win95 to see the whole drive.
Now when I try to install Linux on another partition, EZdrive won't let
linux fdisk see the MBR. I looked on WD's web site and found an article
that said EZdrive and Linux/Unix won't work together.  The same might be
true for Partition Magic.  You might check their website and look for
articles concerning Linux compatibility.

My next experimental plan is to remove EZdrive and reformat.  I'll
reinstall Win95 on the 2+gig that it will see and then put Linux on the
part of the drive that Win95 won't see.  I'm new to linux also so I'm
not sure if this will work.

Post by Stephen Wes » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi there
> > I was hoping someone out there would be willing to answer a few
> > questions I had before I total destroy my system.  First of all I'm
> > running Windows 95 with Fat32 on a 200MMX K6 with 64meg of EDO.  I
> > just got really interested in Linux. I just bought a book on it and it
> > comes with Red Hat 4.0, Slackware 96 distribution and Caldera's Open
> > Linux.  They all use  the 2.0.18 Linux kernel except maybe Open Linux,
> > but that's not important to me right now.  I'm starting with Red Hat
> > and will move from there.  So I've read a few article and can't seem
> > to find out what to do about the Fat32 problem!  I haven't tried to
> > install Red Hat yet but it seem to be that Linux doesn't get along
> > with the Fat32.  It would be great if some one read this and could
> > explain to me what to do.  Something to keep in mind is that I  am a
> > Linux beginner so if you start going off with terms used for Linux I
> > won't understand a thing your saying.

> > I have access to almost all software and have partition magic and
> > system commander at my finger tips.

I also have a computer that is cursed with FAT32; I am waiting for my copy
of Partition Magic which should solve the problem. What you need to do is
to shrink your Win95 partition to leave empty drive space on which Linux
can create its file system. Partition MAGIC docs should tell you how to do
this; once you have at least 250 megs free you can start the Red Hat
install. If you pay attention to the instructions it should go fairly
smoothly; I have already installed it on my laptop no problems. You will
probably need the boot loader that comes with PMagic to choose between W95
and Linux at boot, so when the Red Hat install asks you which partition
LILO should boot pick the Linux one.

Quote:> > I'm at a University and have fast asses (40-100kb sec)  to internet
> > resources so if I can get new software.

> > Any other tips or tricks that might be helpful to me would be greatly
> > appreciated.

> I've never used Partition Magic but I have a Western Digital 3.2gig
> drive that needed EZdrive in order for Win95 to see the whole drive.

This means you probably don't have FAT32. Thus you have nothing in common
with Sam.

Quote:> Now when I try to install Linux on another partition, EZdrive won't let
> linux fdisk see the MBR. I looked on WD's web site and found an article
> that said EZdrive and Linux/Unix won't work together.  The same might be
> true for Partition Magic.  You might check their website and look for
> articles concerning Linux compatibility.

> My next experimental plan is to remove EZdrive and reformat.  I'll
> reinstall Win95 on the 2+gig that it will see and then put Linux on the
> part of the drive that Win95 won't see.  I'm new to linux also so I'm
> not sure if this will work.

Should work if your BIOS supports LBA to allow LILO to boot Linux that far
into the drive.

Post by tom » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi there

(*SNIP!*)

Quote:

> I've never used Partition Magic but I have a Western Digital 3.2gig
> drive that needed EZdrive in order for Win95 to see the whole drive.
> Now when I try to install Linux on another partition, EZdrive won't let
> linux fdisk see the MBR. I looked on WD's web site and found an article
> that said EZdrive and Linux/Unix won't work together.  The same might be
> true for Partition Magic.  You might check their website and look for
> articles concerning Linux compatibility.

> My next experimental plan is to remove EZdrive and reformat.  I'll
> reinstall Win95 on the 2+gig that it will see and then put Linux on the
> part of the drive that Win95 won't see.  I'm new to linux also so I'm
> not sure if this will work.

A friend of mine required EZdrive.  EZdrive is not used for OS
compatibility -- it's used for hardware compatibility.  Look in the
BIOS setup utility -- if that sees the full capacity of your drive,
don't use EZdrive.  If your BIOS reports a drive size of I think
2111 megs but your drive is larger than that, then you need EZdrive
in order for your hardware to see your whole drive.  This is
caused by antiquated controllers on the motherboard -- but many
recent motherboards still come with these outdated controllers.  EZdrive
is not fun!!!

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. VPN with FreesWan

3. Linux Pro 4.0 or Red Hat 4.0

4. pcmcia on Dell Inspiron 3000

5. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

6. What's the status of the WINE project?

7. Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

8. PATCH: update slip to new tty module locks

9. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers

10. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

11. Xdvi/espf Problem in TeTeX, Red Hat 4.0 Linux

12. building skey on Red Hat Linux ver 4.0

13. Netscape 3.0 configuration in Linux 2.0.18 (Red Hat 4.0)