unmounting file system

Post by Will Chatha » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm using Mandrake 6.0, and have a problem when I shutdown, which causes
a bigger problem when I start up the machine.  When the machine is
shutting down, after the "unmounting file systems" part, it tells me
this:
"umount:  device is busy           [FAILED]"

Then, when I boot again, it tells me that /dev/hda5 (my hard drive) was
not unmounted correctly, then it goes into a lengthy self-check mode.
It will finally boot up, but often acts sluggish.  Once in a blue moon,
everything mounts and unmounts OK.

Anyone have any clues as to how I may fix it, and what may have caused
it in the first place?

Please CC my e-mail.

TIA
Will

unmounting file system

Post by oc.. » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I ( and at least 2 others iI know off) have similar problem with
Redhat 6.0.

Shutdown gets to "system is halted" ok, but then says "stopping all md
devices" and scrolls junk on screen until I hit the Powerioff switch.

I have reinstaled Redhat 6.0, this time with Gnome - still get same
shutdown problem, plus lots of others.

No answers yet, though Redhat has many update rpms on its Errata page,
but I haven't got them all downloaded yet.

Bill

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:38:01 -0400, Will Chatham