Software Installation Question

Post by Jeff Sel » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm fairly new to Linux and I've got a question about installing
software.  I download software to my /home directory.  Do I extract here
so that it can be compiled or do I place either the .gz or the.tar file
somewhere else before compiling.  For instance, I downloaded GIMP 1.0.
The file I got was gimp.1.0.0.tar.gz and it was downloaded to my /home
directory.  Do I go ahead and extract it here and do the compile or do I
put it somewhere else?  If I can extract it here, how does it know where
to set itself up at?  Will it replace GIMP.0.99 or will there be two
versions on my PC?

Thanks in advance.

jeff self

Post by N. Emile Akabi-Davi » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I'm fairly new to Linux and I've got a question about installing
> software.  I download software to my /home directory.  Do I extract here
> so that it can be compiled or do I place either the .gz or the.tar file
> somewhere else before compiling.  For instance, I downloaded GIMP 1.0.
> The file I got was gimp.1.0.0.tar.gz and it was downloaded to my /home
> directory.  Do I go ahead and extract it here and do the compile or do I
> put it somewhere else?

In general, it does not matter where you extract it. I would create
a directory where I would place the tarbol (.tar.gz or .tgz file).
Then use tar xzf file.tar.gz to uncompress and extract it. cd to the
directory created and read the README and/or INSTALL files in this
directory. These generally give the rules for compiling the package.

Quote:> If I can extract it here, how does it know where to set itself up at?

You generally compile where you extract the tarbol to. A make install
as root will copy the relevant files to their final resting place.

Quote:> Will it replace GIMP.0.99 or will there be two versions on my PC?

This depends on how GIMP.0.99 got on your system. If you compiled it
yourself, then the answer is probably yes. Else, you would have to
examine the Makefile to see where the program is installed. Where
you to use rpm or the debian package manager with the upgrade option,
you could rest assured that you will only end up with one version.

--
Caio                            |Oliver's Law: Experience is something you
N.Emile <DeR vInYl JuNkIe>      |  do not get until just after you need it.