Can linux read from and write to Windows 95 partition?

Can linux read from and write to Windows 95 partition?

Post by Harvey Michae » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi!
I'm thinking of using System Commander to put Linux on my pentium.  I
understand that Linux must be on a separate partition.  Will I be able to
use it to read and write ascii files the Windows 95/DOS partition?
Thanks for the info.

Can linux read from and write to Windows 95 partition?

Post by Ashwin Biha » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi!
> I'm thinking of using System Commander to put Linux on my pentium.  I
> understand that Linux must be on a separate partition.  Will I be able to
> use it to read and write ascii files the Windows 95/DOS partition?
> Thanks for the info.

I right now use System Commander to boot between Linux(RedHat), Dos 6.22,
Win 95 and Win NT..I have my DOS and Win95 partitions mounted as directories
in Linux and thus can transfer files ascii or binary from Linux to either DOS
or Win95 partition..and back..there is also a READ-ONLY NTFS driver for NT..

|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

| NOTE: The address above has the words NOSPAM, to stop just that, please     |
|       reply to the address in this box, if you have to at all!              |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Can linux read from and write to Windows 95 partition?

Post by James Chin H » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Linux can read/write to Windows 95 FAT paritions.  Be aware that some
Windows have FAT32 installed which most Linux systems to not yet support.
Do read/write FAT partitions, just modify your fstab file in you /etc
directory.  Also you need to make a directory in /mnt/.

Here is the way I added Win95 file support:

I simply added a line like this:

/dev/hda1       /mnt/dosC               vfat    rw      0 2

This worked on my system, but I don't guarentee it'll work on yours.

Good luck,
James

Post by Dan Hetze » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Hi!
> I'm thinking of using System Commander to put Linux on my pentium.  I
> understand that Linux must be on a separate partition.  Will I be able
> use it to read and write ascii files the Windows 95/DOS partition?
> Thanks for the info.

   Hi,

It surely will, and, if you apply a patch to the kernel, it will even
deal with
fat32 partitions as well.

Dan

Post by James Youngma » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Hi!
> I'm thinking of using System Commander to put Linux on my pentium.  I
> understand that Linux must be on a separate partition.  Will I be able to
> use it to read and write ascii files the Windows 95/DOS partition?

Yes.  It supports the VFAT filesystem, and nowadays, VFAT32, too.

Post by Terry O'Loughli » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi!
> > I'm thinking of using System Commander to put Linux on my pentium.
> > understand that Linux must be on a separate partition.  Will I be
> able to
> > use it to read and write ascii files the Windows 95/DOS partition?
> > Thanks for the info.

> I right now use System Commander to boot between Linux(RedHat), Dos
> 6.22,
> Win 95 and Win NT..I have my DOS and Win95 partitions mounted as
> directories
> in Linux and thus can transfer files ascii or binary from Linux to
> either DOS
> or Win95 partition..and back..there is also a READ-ONLY NTFS driver
> for NT..

> --

 I  have had success with a similar setup as Ashwin Bahari.  One thing
else to note.
Make sure you have vfat support built in to your kernal, or else you
won't get proper long name support.
The default kernel installed on my system (Slackware 3.1) at setup time
didn't have this feature enabled.
I had to recompile the kernal to get vfat support.

--
---