Kernel Panic during Installation.

Post by Mark Gar » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 09:07:39

I have attempted now a number of times to install Mandrake 8.2.  Each time,
the installation proceeds normally, then abruptly ends, with a kernel panic.
Thinking this maybe some sort of incompatibility issue with my PC, I then
attempted to install Redhat 7.3, with the same result.  The kernel panic
message is as follows:-

CPU 0: Machine Check Execution : 0000000000000004
BANK 1: b600000000000181 at 000000000af0be80
Kernel Panic: CPU Context Corrupt

I would, in normal circumstances, believe this to be a hardware error with
my PC.  But for the fact, that I am able install and boot any version of a
(un)popular, Redmond based operating system, with no problem at all.

I am currently running on an AMD Athlon 1000Mz processor, 256MB of DDR
(PC2100) memory, which is branded, but I don't know by who.

I have a suspicion that the problem could lie with an incompatibility with
the Athlon Processor, and the kernel that is used during the installation,
but would like to hear from anyone who could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

Mark Gary

Post by Karl Heye » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 09:48:32

> I have attempted now a number of times to install Mandrake 8.2.  Each time,
> the installation proceeds normally, then abruptly ends, with a kernel panic.
> Thinking this maybe some sort of incompatibility issue with my PC, I then
> attempted to install Redhat 7.3, with the same result.  The kernel panic
> message is as follows:-

> CPU 0: Machine Check Execution : 0000000000000004
> BANK 1: b600000000000181 at 000000000af0be80
> Kernel Panic: CPU Context Corrupt

> I would, in normal circumstances, believe this to be a hardware error with
> my PC.  But for the fact, that I am able install and boot any version of a
> (un)popular, Redmond based operating system, with no problem at all.

> I am currently running on an AMD Athlon 1000Mz processor, 256MB of DDR
> (PC2100) memory, which is branded, but I don't know by who.

> I have a suspicion that the problem could lie with an incompatibility with
> the Athlon Processor, and the kernel that is used during the installation,
> but would like to hear from anyone who could shed some light on this for me.

Whenever this has been reported the answer was to check for making sure
it was cooled enough and that you were not overclocking.  The message
itself relates to the fact that the CPU detected something wrong,
reported it and linux is playing safe by not running. Obviously that
other software you mentioned doesn't bother checking this and plays
fast and loose as usual.

It could be a borderline CPU which may need replacing, but make sure
it's not overheating first, you may have a dead fan or just not enough
air going through it.

karl

Post by Matthew Garret » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 11:58:18

> CPU 0: Machine Check Execution : 0000000000000004
> BANK 1: b600000000000181 at 000000000af0be80
> Kernel Panic: CPU Context Corrupt

Your CPU believes that things have gone badly wrong. MCEs are generated
by the CPU, not the OS.

Quote:> I would, in normal circumstances, believe this to be a hardware error with
> my PC.  But for the fact, that I am able install and boot any version of a
> (un)popular, Redmond based operating system, with no problem at all.

I've had Linux work on machines that Windows wouldn't work on, and vice
versa. Hardware issues sometimes only appear under certain
circumstances, and these may be triggered by different OSs. It's almost
certainly hardware. Check your memory, check your motherboard and check
your CPU.

--

Post by David Ya » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 20:15:55

> I have attempted now a number of times to install Mandrake 8.2.  Each
> time, the installation proceeds normally, then abruptly ends, with a
> kernel panic. Thinking this maybe some sort of incompatibility issue with
> my PC, I then
> attempted to install Redhat 7.3, with the same result.  The kernel panic
> message is as follows:-

> CPU 0: Machine Check Execution : 0000000000000004
> BANK 1: b600000000000181 at 000000000af0be80
> Kernel Panic: CPU Context Corrupt

> I would, in normal circumstances, believe this to be a hardware error with
> my PC.  But for the fact, that I am able install and boot any version of a
> (un)popular, Redmond based operating system, with no problem at all.

> I am currently running on an AMD Athlon 1000Mz processor, 256MB of DDR
> (PC2100) memory, which is branded, but I don't know by who.

> I have a suspicion that the problem could lie with an incompatibility with
> the Athlon Processor, and the kernel that is used during the installation,
> but would like to hear from anyone who could shed some light on this for
> me.

> Thanks

> Mark Gary

Try turning the external cache off but it sounds as though it is some kind
of timing issue.  Some motherboards are operating at their limit.  Have you
checked the m/board site and downloaded their latest flash ROM?  That may
help but be very careful (I wrote off a m/board when the flash failed!).

IB Linux is less tolerant and more demanding on memory than the Redmond
system.

1. Kernel Panic during installation

Hi All,

I'm trying to install RH7.1 to a PC with Pentium-133MHz, 48Mb Ram,
manufactured by ACER.  It's using non-intel chipset, if I was correct, it's
using SIS Chipset.  Since it cannot boot from the CDRom, I start the
installation with a bootdisk.  But when I boot it, it always hang after a
while in the normal mode.  I've tried using LOWRES and NOFB, this 2 mode
show a Kernel Panic Message.  Since I've installed RH7.0 in the same machine
before, I suspect that it's related to the new Kernel 2.4.

I verified that by d/l the boot disk from another Linux distrubution:
Startuplinux (www.startuplinux.com).  It again shows a kernel panic message
during the machine bootup.

Here is the what it shown on the screen.

<
Checking 'hit' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
PCI: PCI BOIS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0200, last bus =0
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000003b
 printing eip:
c026a16c
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0000
CPU:    0
EIP:    0010:[<c026a16c>]
EFLAGS: 00010202
eax: ffffffff    ebx: f7fbf000    ecx: 00000000    edx: 0000001f
esi: c1efffa4    edi: f7fbf284    ebp: 00000000    esp: c1effcb0
ds: 0018    es: 0018    ss: 0018
Process swapper (pid: 1, stackpage=c1eff000)
Stack:    0000001f 00000007 f7fbf000 c1efffa4 c0396955 c0396999 f7fbf000
00000000
             00000000 c1effd20 c5571045 c0396a10 c1effd20 00000000 c1effd20
00000000
            00000000 00000000 00000000 c1ef8390 00000000 c0396ae2 c1effd20
c1ef8390
Call Trace: [<c0105000>] [<c01050e7>] [<c0105593>]

Code: 8a 40 3c 25 ff 00 00 00 50 68 b6 15 33 c0 8d b3 64 02 00 00
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot!

Galen

2. sound card problem

3. Kernel panic during installation ! help me !!

4. primes...factor

5. Kernel panic during installation

6. Any PCI Ethernet Cards working under Linux ?

7. sudoers file in NIS

8. Help: Kernel panic during the installation of floppies

9. Kernel Panic during slackware installation - HELP

10. Kernel panic: aha152x panic (during LILO install)

11. RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

12. PANIC during 2.1 x86 installation