RH5.1 install failure

Post by Lorrie Cli » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I just added a new disk drive on which I want to install RH5.1.  I
have the drive installed and it seems to be working (e.g., I can do a
low-level format and run the diagnostics with my SCSI adapter on it)
but the RH install hangs.

My system configuration is the following:
P-166 with 32 MB RAM
original HD: 2.1 GB (Win95) on SCSI ID 0
new HD: 4.5 GB Quantum Viking SCA (80 pin) with 80 pin --> 50 pin
adapter
SCSI CD-ROM
SCSI Adapter: Buslogic Flashpoint PCI SCSI Adapter (50 pin)
Display Adapter: Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Series (4.02.014)
Sound: Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 PnP
Monitor: ADI Microscan 5AP (17" Micron)

I can do the first part of the install, then I get a message at the
bottom of the screen indicating I am entering stage two.  I then
select my partitioning, format the swap space, select the partitions
to format and select the packages.  There are some messages about
creation of an \ext2 filesystem then an install status screen appears.
This screen shows the number and size of the selected packages and the
progress made.  For a while the packages are installed very quickly,
but then the install just hangs.  No progress is made, no error
messages, no control to escape out, nothing.  Just silence.  There is
mention of a log file put in /tmp, but I don't know how to access it
since the install never finishes.  Also, this* behavior also
occurs when I check for bad blocks on the swap space.  To avoid this
problem I did not check for bad blocks on subsequent attempts.

The partition scheme I would like is
/               100 MB
<swap>            100 MB
/usr            700 MB
/usr/local      100 MB
/home           2.0  GB
/back           1.0  GB

I have also tried simpler ones with no luck.  I have tried installing
various package configurations as well.  Even when installing no
packages or a limited number the install still hangs.

Any suggestions for what the problem might be or advise on how to
identify the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Cliff

RH5.1 install failure

Post by Matt Payt » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Any suggestions for what the problem might be or advise on how to
>identify the problem?

>Thanks in advance,
>Mike Cliff

Try going to a diiferent virtual terminal, when the install hangs, and
see if there are any messages that may be useful.  RedHat (I'm not
sure about other distributions) provides at least 3 virtual terminals
during the install.  You can access them by alt-f1, alt-f1, alt-f3,
etc.  At least 1 time this provided me with the info I needed to see
what was causing an install to bomb.

1. RH5.1 install failure - looks like hardware

Hi,

I was running RH5.0 without having any problems ( other than
the glibc complications),  but decided to move on to Red Hat
5.1.  I did the normal boot floppy/CDROM clean install (not
the upgrade), but the upgrade failed during package
installation.

I did an Alt F4 to get the system log.  the log reports:
<4> Adding Swap 104416k swap-space (priority - 1)
<4> Adding Swap 72288k swap-space (priority - 2)
<4> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady Seek Complete
Error}
<4> hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {Uncorrectable Error},
LBAsect=6436063, sector=283168
<end-request>: I/O error dev 03:02, sector 283168

Before trying the install I printed out the partition data
from fdisk using both units displays. In one of those
displays I have:

/dev/hda2    6152895   6152895   6570584   208845   83
Linux native

If I am guessing right ( and it is ONLY a guess) and the
table is printing the LBA sectors, then the error occurs
inside the above partition, which is / (root).  It is a
large oversized root partition, 200M. BTW I did not change
any partition sizes during the install, and all formatting
was with check for bad blocks.

The problem is reproducable.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Peter Koren

2. Straw Poll Nonsense

3. RH5.2 boot failure (mid-install)

4. How to mount as non-root?

5. RH5.0: LILO install failure

6. Web Site lookup

7. RH5 Install Boot Loader Failure

8. Oops with 2.4.18-pre3-ac2 with Intel ServerRAID Controller

9. Mount Failure on RH5.2 Install

10. RH5.2 HD Install Failure

11. RH5.0: SCSI-FutureDomain install failure

12. newbie can't install rh5, HD failure

13. unable to install RH5.2 onto RH5.1