Install hangs while probing hde

Post by daniel.mend.. » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I've been trying to install linux on my DECpc 320p laptop,
which is a 386sx with an 84 MB conner hard drive and 8 MB
of memory.

When trying to boot from floppy the install hangs
on the line:

hde: probing with STATUS instead of ALTSTATUS

Is there a way to prevent the install from probing
hde?  I don't think there is such a drive on the PC.

I've tried installing Red Hat 5.1, Red Hat 4.2 and
Debian Hamm.  All three fail in the same way and
at the same place.  Leaving the machine locked
up tighter than if I had run Windows on it.

I'm not sure how to continue.

Daniel

http://www.virtualvoices.com

1. 4.7 install hangs (CD boot hangs when probing devices)

I tried to install 4.7 on a server yesterday that was running 4.3 smoothly
for over a year or so. After removing the conflicts from the network
adapters the install CD hangs when probing the parallel resp. serial
devices. I tried many combinations disabling devices, even from the BIOS. No
success. When booting from the 4.3 CD with exactly the same kernel
configuration it works out fine.

Any ideas?!?

Thanks
Dominik

2. MaxRequestsPerChild and leak memoryon Solaris

3. boot fails: "hde: Probing with STATUS instead of ALTSTATUS"

4. Multi-homed traceroute weirdness

5. RH5.2 Install hangs probing video card

6. System for small (<120MB) disk

7. 4.2 install hangs while probing hardware.

8. Question

9. install hangs on probing hardware

10. Upgrade Install hangs while probing PCI hardware

11. Mandrake 8.0 hangs during install - scsi probing?

12. 2.2.2 install hangs on vx0 probe

13. FreeBSD 4.4 newbie install...hangs on "hardware probe"