Problem understanding some messages from var/log/messages

Problem understanding some messages from var/log/messages

Post by Alex Savitsk » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

Could somebody explain what the following messages mean:

depmod: /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/net/rcpci.o: unresolved symbol(s)
    (I have about 50 of them each boot, for different .o files in
different folders)

and

modprobe: insmod: :357:parsing error in dependeny file
last message repeated NN times
    (these two lines come together several times for each boot, with
different NN numbers)

As for how it looks on my screen: it writes "Finding module
dependencies" and halts until I press Ctrl-C, then it continue to boot
as usual.

Also, when I try to run sndconfig, it gives me the 2nd message (the
"modprobe" - first line only), after finding my sound card and trying to
play something on it.

Note: I didnt have these glitches before recompiling my kernel.

System is RH6.0, kernel v.2.2.5-15

I'll be eternally grateful for explaining me all this stuff.

Alex Savitsky

Problem understanding some messages from var/log/messages

Post by Prasanth Kuma » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

You need to compile and install the modules at the same time you recompile
the kernel. I think it
is something like "make modules" and "make modules-install" but I don't
remember the exact
commands.

[...]

Did that several times - no luck so far. Here's what I did:

1. make dep
  make clean
  make bzImage
  installed lilo
  make modules
  make modules-install

No errors, but when I reboot, got the same problem...

2. after reboot:
  make modules
  make modules-install

Again all looks fine but doesnt work after reboot anyway :(

Or maybe I'm not patient enough? I waited for 5 minutes, HD light was not
flashing...

Anybody has any ideas?

Alex Savitsky

Post by James Staffor » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

> Did that several times - no luck so far. Here's what I did:

> 1. make dep
>   make clean
>   make bzImage
>   installed lilo
>   make modules
>   make modules-install

> No errors, but when I reboot, got the same problem...

> 2. after reboot:
>   make modules
>   make modules-install

I think you might be typing it wrong, should be make modules_install.

jamess

Post by Alex Savitsk » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

> > Did that several times - no luck so far. Here's what I did:

> > 1. make dep
> >   make clean
> >   make bzImage
> >   installed lilo
> >   make modules
> >   make modules-install

> > No errors, but when I reboot, got the same problem...

> > 2. after reboot:
> >   make modules
> >   make modules-install

> I think you might be typing it wrong, should be make modules_install.

> jamess

Sorry, put it wrong in the posting - I was using 'modules_install'.  Anyway, any
ideas?

Alex

Post by Neil Cerutt » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

> Did that several times - no luck so far. Here's what I did:

> 1. make dep
>   make clean
>   make bzImage
>   installed lilo
>   make modules
>   make modules-install

> No errors, but when I reboot, got the same problem...

> 2. after reboot:
>   make modules
>   make modules-install

> Again all looks fine but doesnt work after reboot anyway :(

I had this same problem. It would reach the "determining module
dependencies..." and seemingly hang the system (I could continue by hitting
the SysRq key).

After you boot the RH system, aborting the module dependency check,
run:

depmod -a

You will get a list of modules that are "unresolved symbols".

These are modules that aren't needed anymore. You should delete them. Don't
worry...if you make a new kernel the needed modules will be created again.
I redirected the output of `depmod -a` into a text file and edited it to make
a shell script that deleted the unwanted files. If you are a wary person
you could instead move them to a temporary or archive directory.

You will have to do this more than once because modules in different
directories will be found each time after a round of deleting. Repeat the
process until no unresolved symbols are reported by `depmod -a`.

Deleting these unwanted modules cleared up the problem in RH 6.0.

This is now a standard thing I do whenever I compile a new kernel.

Another thing to bear in mind is you should probably enable "IP: Aliasing" in
your kernel to avoid the cascading "modprobe unable to load module
lo:1..50" problem in RH.

Quote:> Or maybe I'm not patient enough? I waited for 5 minutes, HD light was not
> flashing...

You can see in /var/log/boot.log that it is patiently trying to determine the
dependencies on all those damned modules you don't need at all. Presumably
this process would complete eventually, but I waited for over three hours
once and it yet hadn't.

Disclaimer: Linux is new to me... your mileage may differ... I invite the
critiques, corrections and comments of the more experienced users here.

Neil Cerutti