Putting LILO on floppy AFTER installation

Putting LILO on floppy AFTER installation

Post by Joe Tsen » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I would like to have my Linux boot from floppy but I couldn't make a
LILO floppy during installation because my RH5 setup didn't let me do it
(only on either hda or hda3 where my partition lives).  Now I can either
get WinNT/Linux or Win95 but not both unless I replug the control cables
each time.

I printed out the HOWTOs on how to make a boot floppy and how to use
LILO but not on how to put LILO on a floppy.

FYI I bought the CDs from CheapBytes.  Is anyone else having trouble
with LILO on floppies with their CDs?

Putting LILO on floppy AFTER installation

Post by Neil Ricke » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to have my Linux boot from floppy but I couldn't make a
>LILO floppy during installation because my RH5 setup didn't let me do it
>(only on either hda or hda3 where my partition lives).  Now I can either
>get WinNT/Linux or Win95 but not both unless I replug the control cables
>each time.

You need to give more information before anyone can help you.
Presumably replugging the control cables changes which disk is 'hda'
and which is 'hdb'.  This will interfere with your booting.  You need
to decide on a physical setup, and then stick to it.

Post by Jurgen Philippaer » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I would like to have my Linux boot from floppy but I couldn't make a
>LILO floppy during installation because my RH5 setup didn't let me do it
>(only on either hda or hda3 where my partition lives).  Now I can either
>get WinNT/Linux or Win95 but not both unless I replug the control cables
>each time.

>I printed out the HOWTOs on how to make a boot floppy and how to use
>LILO but not on how to put LILO on a floppy.

>FYI I bought the CDs from CheapBytes.  Is anyone else having trouble
>with LILO on floppies with their CDs?

edit /etc/lilo.conf
and make it say :
BOOT = /fd0

then run lilo (with a blank formatted disk in your drive)
afterwards you can change it back to BOOT = "whatever it was before"
:)

there you go, one lilo bootdisk.

later!
Jurgen.

Putting LILO on floppy AFTER installation

Post by Jurgen Philippaer » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>>I would like to have my Linux boot from floppy but I couldn't make a
>>LILO floppy during installation because my RH5 setup didn't let me do it
>>(only on either hda or hda3 where my partition lives).  Now I can either
>>get WinNT/Linux or Win95 but not both unless I replug the control cables
>>each time.

>>I printed out the HOWTOs on how to make a boot floppy and how to use
>>LILO but not on how to put LILO on a floppy.

>>FYI I bought the CDs from CheapBytes.  Is anyone else having trouble
>>with LILO on floppies with their CDs?

>edit /etc/lilo.conf
>and make it say :
>BOOT = /fd0

oops!
make that /dev/fd0

:)

Quote:

>then run lilo (with a blank formatted disk in your drive)
>afterwards you can change it back to BOOT = "whatever it was before"
>:)

>there you go, one lilo bootdisk.

>later!
>Jurgen.

Putting LILO on floppy AFTER installation

Post by Joe Tsen » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> You need to give more information before anyone can help you.
> Presumably replugging the control cables changes which disk is 'hda'
> and which is 'hdb'.  This will interfere with your booting.  You need
> to decide on a physical setup, and then stick to it.

What I would like to have is my original drive (w/95) and new drive
(w/NT and RH5) work together without plugging/unplugging/replugging
cables.  Right now I have either my new drive or old drive plugged in at
any one time but not simultaneously.

Putting LILO on floppy AFTER installation

Post by Neil Ricke » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> You need to give more information before anyone can help you.
>> Presumably replugging the control cables changes which disk is 'hda'
>> and which is 'hdb'.  This will interfere with your booting.  You need
>> to decide on a physical setup, and then stick to it.
>What I would like to have is my original drive (w/95) and new drive
>(w/NT and RH5) work together without plugging/unplugging/replugging
>cables.  Right now I have either my new drive or old drive plugged in at
>any one time but not simultaneously.

You are still making it difficult to help you.

Do you have IDE or SCSI drives?  Are you using NTFS for NT?

It is hard to advise you without more info.  But I'll try.

Linux can be on either disk.  But if you switch cables, you make
things difficult.  The installation program needs to know whether it
is installing on the first or second disk.  By switching cables you
are confusing it.  Actually, it is easy to reconfigure, providing you
have a way of booting linux from a floppy.  So we can put that off
till later.

Likewise, NT can be on either disk.  But if it is not on the first
disk, then it needs to put some boot configuration files on the first
disk.

Assuming that NT and Linux are both installed, I suggest you start by
cabling the disks so that Win95 is on the first disk, and NT is on
the second disk.  You will initially only be able to boot Win95.

Next start the NT installation program.  Somewhere, I think at about
the time of inserting the second floppy, it gives you a choice of
installing, or repairing an existing installation.  Choose the repair
option.  Then, when prompted, choose the option to check the bootup
configuration.  The NT install program should load a few files on
your Win95 partition, so that you can then boot it.

To fix your linux installation, you will need to boot from floppy
(use the repair disk image).  Mount your linux partition on '/mnt'.
Then edit '/mnt/etc/fstab' to put the partition locations in.  You
probably have to change 'hda' to 'hdb' or 'sda' to 'sdb'.

Then you will need to make similar changes to '/mnt/etc/lilo.conf'.
When editing lilo.conf, you will have to decide whether to install in
the MBR, or on the partition, or on a floppy.  Probably the safest at
this stage is to use a floppy.  (Make it a clean formatted floppy, so
that you don't wipe any valuable data).  Change the boot line to
'boot = /dev/fd0'.  Then, since your root partiton is not mounted as
root, you will need 'lilo -r /mnt' to install it.

Post by Radovan Bra » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> You need to give more information before anyone can help you.
>> Presumably replugging the control cables changes which disk is 'hda'
>> and which is 'hdb'.  This will interfere with your booting.  You need
>> to decide on a physical setup, and then stick to it.

>What I would like to have is my original drive (w/95) and new drive
>(w/NT and RH5) work together without plugging/unplugging/replugging
>cables.  Right now I have either my new drive or old drive plugged in at
>any one time but not simultaneously.

   If you are content to boot Linux off floppy every time, you can
   just do "dd if=/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0" to a blank diskette (or
   whatever your kernel or a soft link to it in the "/" directory
   is called, to whatever your floppy device is called in /dev).
   Check first with "rdev" that the correct boot device is
   specified in the kernel image (and change it if necessary);
   this is essential when booting off floppy, but LILO can
   override it, from what I understand, so the info in the kernel
   image may not be correct.

      RB