Redhat 5.1(CDROM) Boot Disks

Post by Tony Borrome » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello there......

I am trying to install Redhat 5.1 on my 486......how do you make boot disks?
As my 486 does not support booting from the CDROM...
Also do I have to format the drive in DOS...

Please ....someone give me a hand...

Thanks in advance..

Tony Borromeo

Redhat 5.1(CDROM) Boot Disks

Post by Hoyt » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Hello there......

>I am trying to install Redhat 5.1 on my 486......how do you make boot
disks?
>As my 486 does not support booting from the CDROM...
>Also do I have to format the drive in DOS...

>Please ....someone give me a hand...

In my install of Redhat 5.1, I booted to dos with cd-rom support and changed
the directory to the \dosutils subdirectory of the cd-rom and then ran
autoboot and it installed that way. Do you not have this option?

Hoyt

Redhat 5.1(CDROM) Boot Disks

Post by Tony Borrome » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello there....

Can anyone direct me as to the easiest way of installing Linux on a
486DX4/100MHZ  with a 540 Hard Drive....

I have attempted to install but to no avail, i was unsuccessful....

As I was setting up the partitions.......I thought I was done setting them
up...so I hit enter to start the install process and I got this message:

NO ROOT PARTITION
You must assign a root (/) partition to a Linux native partition (ext 2) for
the install to proceed

Can someone help me please?

Thanks in advance..

Tony Borromeo

Redhat 5.1(CDROM) Boot Disks

Post by Alan Hamilt » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello there....

>Can anyone direct me as to the easiest way of installing Linux on a
>486DX4/100MHZ  with a 540 Hard Drive....

>I have attempted to install but to no avail, i was unsuccessful....

>As I was setting up the partitions.......I thought I was done setting them
>up...so I hit enter to start the install process and I got this message:

>NO ROOT PARTITION
>You must assign a root (/) partition to a Linux native partition (ext 2) for
>the install to proceed

The mount point is one of the options on the partitioning screen.  You
need to specify one for all your partitions (except the swap
partition).  Set the mount point to "/" for the partition you want to
use as root.
--
      /
  /  *  /  Alan Hamilton

Redhat 5.1(CDROM) Boot Disks

Post by Gawain Lync » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

OK, this will not kill you I promise...

1.  On your RedHat CD you will have a directory called dos or dosutils, in
that dir you will find a fiel called rawrite.exe, grab that...

2. Then go looking for a directory called images, in there you will find 3
files boot.img supp.img and rescue.img.  These are as their name may suggest
are floppy disk images of the relevant disks.  Take all these files and copy
them to a dos machine

3. Run:

rawrite  -f <file> -d <drive>

eg.  rawrite -f boot.img -d a

This will create the disk you want, if you are installing from a local
CD-ROM you will only need the boot disk, but if you are installing via SMB
or FTP you will need the supplimental disk as well

>Hello there......

>I am trying to install Redhat 5.1 on my 486......how do you make boot
disks?
>As my 486 does not support booting from the CDROM...
>Also do I have to format the drive in DOS...

>Please ....someone give me a hand...

>Thanks in advance..

>Tony Borromeo

Redhat 5.1(CDROM) Boot Disks

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> The images on the RedHat CD-ROMs are for 1.44 diskettes, or so it
> seems, based on the filesize.  If you try rawrite with the appropriate
> parameters,  it looks like it attempts to create the image on the
> diskette, anyway, but then it aborts with a "Address mark not found"
> error message.

> Where does one get images for 5.25" disks (1.2 Mb) for older systems?
> The documentation seems to imply that they should be on the CDs
> (bootdsks.12  and  rootdsks.12), but they are not there.

I don't know where you can get such images, but here's one possible
workaround:

1) Enter your CMOS setup program
2) Tell it your 5.25" floppy drive is in fact a 1.44MB floppy drive
3) Boot DOS and format a blank floppy in the drive.  It should now hold
   1.44MB.
4) Repeat #3 if you need a second disk (for an install from ftp, say)
5) Use RAWRITE to put the 3.5" image(s) on your 1.44MB floppy(ies).
6) Install Linux as if the 5.25" drive were a 3.5" drive.
7) Shut down Linux and enter the CMOS setup program
8) Change the floppy type back to 5.25"

This procedure SHOULD work, and has worked for me when installing OS/2
some years ago, but I've never actually tested it with any variety of
Linux.  Note that if you try to re-format a pre-formatted floppy, Windows
may simply give it its original capacity; you may need to use command-line
format and switches to force a new low-level format to override this
behavior, and it may even be necessary to use an older version of DOS.
The resulting 1.44MB 5.25" floppy will likely be a little less reliable
than a standard 1.2MB 5.25" floppy, so if you intend to keep it, I'd
recommend making two, in case one fails.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Redhat 5.1(CDROM) Boot Disks

Post by Paris Karahali » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>[Posted and mailed]

>> The images on the RedHat CD-ROMs are for 1.44 diskettes, or so it
>> seems, based on the filesize.  If you try rawrite with the appropriate
>> parameters,  it looks like it attempts to create the image on the
>> diskette, anyway, but then it aborts with a "Address mark not found"
>> error message.

>> Where does one get images for 5.25" disks (1.2 Mb) for older systems?
>> The documentation seems to imply that they should be on the CDs
>> (bootdsks.12  and  rootdsks.12), but they are not there.

>I don't know where you can get such images, but here's one possible
>workaround:

>1) Enter your CMOS setup program
>2) Tell it your 5.25" floppy drive is in fact a 1.44MB floppy drive
>3) Boot DOS and format a blank floppy in the drive.  It should now hold
>   1.44MB.
>4) Repeat #3 if you need a second disk (for an install from ftp, say)
>5) Use RAWRITE to put the 3.5" image(s) on your 1.44MB floppy(ies).
>6) Install Linux as if the 5.25" drive were a 3.5" drive.
>7) Shut down Linux and enter the CMOS setup program
>8) Change the floppy type back to 5.25"

>This procedure SHOULD work, and has worked for me when installing OS/2
>some years ago, but I've never actually tested it with any variety of
>Linux.  Note that if you try to re-format a pre-formatted floppy, Windows
>may simply give it its original capacity; you may need to use command-line
>format and switches to force a new low-level format to override this
>behavior, and it may even be necessary to use an older version of DOS.
>The resulting 1.44MB 5.25" floppy will likely be a little less reliable
>than a standard 1.2MB 5.25" floppy, so if you intend to keep it, I'd
>recommend making two, in case one fails.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I will try your suggestion
tomorrow.  It may work - who knows.  Of course, I could also open the
box and swap the cables for the drives so that drive A: is the 3.5"
one.  I was just trying to avoid that ;-)

Paris...

Redhat 5.1(CDROM) Boot Disks

Post by Sam Hold » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I will try your suggestion
>tomorrow.  It may work - who knows.  Of course, I could also open the
>box and swap the cables for the drives so that drive A: is the 3.5"
>one.  I was just trying to avoid that ;-)

Your bios may even have an option to swap the floppy drives...
I think mine does (though seeing I don't even have one floppy drive, I may
have misread something on the screen)...

--
Sam

You are bordering on ridiculous if you think you need to support your
premises.  Such an argument is an infinite regression.

Redhat 5.1(CDROM) Boot Disks

Post by Paris Karahali » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I will try your suggestion
>>tomorrow.  It may work - who knows.  Of course, I could also open the
>>box and swap the cables for the drives so that drive A: is the 3.5"
>>one.  I was just trying to avoid that ;-)

>Your bios may even have an option to swap the floppy drives...
>I think mine does (though seeing I don't even have one floppy drive, I may
>have misread something on the screen)...

Nah, this is an older BIOS, so no such options - it won't even handle
drives larger that 1 Bg <g>.  The newer systems we have around here,
all do, but...

Paris...

--
TRIUS, Inc., PO Box 249, N.Andover, MA 01845 [http://www.triusinc.com]

1. RedHat 5.1 Boot Disk fails

Hi,

I'm trying to install RedHat 5.1 on my Win95 PC from the CD-ROM distribution
included with the "Linux Secrets (2nd Ed.)" book.  I've created a boot
floppy via rawrite with the boot.img.  When I boot using this floppy, all
I get is a copyright notice and then "Boot failed" with no other
diagnostics.

I've looked in the FAQ and the HOWTOs, and didn't spot anything that
matched this problem.  Has anyone else run into this, or does anyone know
what problem this might indicate?

Thanks in advance,

Zach

2. Root filesystem on NFS, Linux style ???

3. Redhat 5.1 kernel; boot SCSI disk

4. Compile errors...

5. Creating Redhat 5.1 Boot/Install disk?

6. Ditto 3200 Accelerator FTAPE

7. RedHat 5.1 Install Boot Disk Error

8. Anyone use BlackBox?????

9. Trouble with RedHat 5.1 boot disk on a Dell Optiplex DGX 590 (cant load initrd.img)

10. bad redhat 5.1 boot disk

11. Redhat 5.1 kernel; boot SCSI disk

12. Rebuilding kernel w/boot disk (RedHat 5.1)

13. CANT MAKE BOOT DISK DURING INSTALL IN REDHAT 5.1