Compilation problems in Slackware 96 Kernel

Compilation problems in Slackware 96 Kernel

Post by Karel Claessen » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I recently installed the Slackware 96 distribution version of Linux
and even got it to work...
I tried to compile a kernel with a configuration of my own and ran into
following problems. I captured these from stderr.
I did a make clean ; make dep ; make zImage and in this last action :

dnsdomainname: Host name lookup failure

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `linux/version.h', needed by
`/usr/src/linux-2.0.0/include/linux/module.h'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

Can anyone please point me in the real direction?  I checked the Makefile
(it came with the distribution disks) an I see the version.h section in
it.

this on a daily basis...

Thanks in advance,

1. Kernel compile problems with Slackware '96 and loadlin

I'm trying to compile a kernel that will recognize my ProAudio Spectrum 16
soundcard, and when I get through the stages of:

cd /usr/src/linux
make config

{all those choices that I have to make to get the kernel relevant to my
system}

make dep ; make clean ; make zImage

Linux will run through the compile process, but when it's finished and I run

rdev -R zImage 1

I get the error message of file/directory not found.  I run ls under the
usr/src/linux directory, and find no zImage.

I'm either loading Linux from loadlin (through Win '95) or through the
installation bootdisk floppy.  Volkerding's latest book neglects mentioning
how loadlin types are supposed to recompile for sound cards, and I'm sick and
tired of recompiling to see what happens next.

2. Linux & ftape

3. Compiling 2.2.6 kernel on Slackware 96

4. 2.2.23 n_hdlc.c

5. Dialback PPP with Slackware 96 (Kernel 2.0.0)

6. y

7. Quota 1.55 does not work on slackware 96 kernel 2.0

8. scope of shell variable

9. Is the Slackware 96 kernel PPP ready?

10. Slackware 96 over Slackware 3.x

11. Slackware 96 Log Problem

12. Slackware 12/96 boot problem

13. Problems with 3c509B and PCI, Slackware'96 (3.1.0)