mailinglist

Post by Andy Smi » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Are there any programs out there for setting up a mailing list that are a
little bit easier to configure then listserv and majordomo. I know I will
most likely get flamed for this post by unix "gurus" who will say "whats
so hard about majordomo." Anyway, I'm just wondering what linux
alternatives there are to it.

- Andy

mailinglist

Post by Jon Mitche » Mon, 29 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Are there any programs out there for setting up a mailing list that are a
>little bit easier to configure then listserv and majordomo. I know I will
>most likely get flamed for this post by unix "gurus" who will say "whats
>so hard about majordomo." Anyway, I'm just wondering what linux
>alternatives there are to it.

Well.. majordomo was simple, but I'll try to stay as nonflaming as
possible :)  I've found that when looking to run a mailing list server
that is very basic, most people forget that sendmail handles aliases.  If
you edit your /etc/aliases file and put something like:

family: :include:/home/mydir/family
and then back at the prompt type newaliases then what you have done is
created an alias that sends mail to everyone that is in the file family
in your homedirectory.
That file would just have simple entries like this:

(normal email addresses)

That takes care of the most basic mailing lists.. if you just want to get
a little more fancy and have digesting of what has been sent, and let people
automatically take themself off and put themself on the list, then you
need to spend an afternoon (couple of hours really) compiling and setting
up majordomo, which is really really simple once you read the docs.
Trust me :)

Jon Mitchell
* [Fun-Boy] Sleep is for weaklings!                        * jrmitche       *

*  and those who cannot.  It is one of the great divisions * My views have  *
*  of the human race." - Iris Murdoch (stolen from the     * _nothing_ to   *
*                        pages of Stephen King's Insomnia) * do with ccso!  *

Post by Gene J. Raymo » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Are there any programs out there for setting up a mailing list that are a
>little bit easier to configure then listserv and majordomo. I know I will
>most likely get flamed for this post by unix "gurus" who will say "whats
>so hard about majordomo." Anyway, I'm just wondering what linux
>alternatives there are to it.

You don't mention what specifically you need your list software to do.  If
you're only running a few small lists, you could do this with the address
book of almost any mail program like pine or elm.  You may even be able to
just use a sendmail alias.  Add to that a filtering program like the elm
filter (with which I have no experience) or procmail, and you should be
able to come up with something useful.  You might try Smartlist which, if I
understand correctly, runs with procmail.

If you have medium size lists, Majordomo will do alright.  Once it's set
up, it's relatively painless to maintain.  Of course, as you move up the
line, their are more configuration options and the list server can do more.
Unix LISTPROC also works fine under Linux.

You might want to check out the FAQ file posted periodically to
comp.mail.list-admin.software or get a copy at
ftp://rtfm/mit.edu/pub/usenet/comp.mail.list-admin.software/ which details
some of the various packages.  That newsgroup might also be a better place
to get information on list server software.

--

PO Box 3416                |                        |
Merrifield, VA 22116-3416  |                        |

1. New mailinglist LINUX

Hello everybody,

I want to introduce you a new mailinglist about the Win95 O.S. in
general.

The mailinglist is NOT moderated and you can post in DUTCH or ENGLISH.

Free subscriptions:

with in the body: SUBSCRIBE

To post to the list, send email to

Greetings,
Sven

2. Repost - Nothing Changes II

3. MAILINGLIST: Legato Networker Users

4. CDE screensaver lock not accepting passwd (SunOs 5.9)

5. statistics of usage of this mailinglist

6. kernel: eth0: Infinite loop in interrupt, status 2011

7. Mailinglists.

8. (non-FAQ) Reading Mac floppies on a SparcServer 1000

9. statistics of usage of this mailinglist

10. Help: Mailinglists in Linux

11. MAILINGLIST [ix/MBox] / BBS to let!

12. mailinglists question

13. statistics for this mailinglist