my process id numbers are getting big

Post by Michael Martine » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm up to process 20 thousand something. What's wrong?
I thought new pids were supposed to get low unused numbers...

--
Michael Martinez

Post by pe.. » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I'm up to process 20 thousand something. What's wrong?
> I thought new pids were supposed to get low unused numbers...

PIDs are assigned in incrementing order until they reach something around
2^16-1 (=65535), then warp around and start over a 0 skipping used PIDs (at
least 0 and 1 are always skipped as they are ``idle'' and ``init'').

   Peter

   Throughout  this  HOWTO, a  manual  entry  is simply referred to as a
   man page, regardless of actual length and without  sexist  intention.
                                              [The Linux Man-Page-Howto]

my process id numbers are getting big

Post by Marco Angles » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm up to process 20 thousand something. What's wrong?
>I thought new pids were supposed to get low unused numbers...

Nope. They increment up to 30k-odd, and then restart low (obviously 1 is
still going to be used (init is 1) but any unused one gets reused.

m.

--

http://squawk.klue.on.ca  I thought, as I poured whiskey onto my granola
Running Debian Linux 2.0  and faced a new day.

Post by Dave Hiebel » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I'm up to process 20 thousand something. What's wrong?
> I thought new pids were supposed to get low unused numbers...

  Quick, shut down your computer before it melts down!!

  Just kidding.  PID's keep incrementing, until they eventually roll
over.  (And they skip over PIDs currently in use, so nothing bad will
happen to things like "init" with PID 1 when you roll over).

--
Dave Hiebeler     ~{:#DZ4fV*<:#,LlQDHt1HAZ~}
Graduate student in Applied Math / Ecology, Cornell University

Post by Kevin Mille » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I'm up to process 20 thousand something. What's wrong?
> I thought new pids were supposed to get low unused numbers...

> --
> Michael Martinez

Don't worry about it.  That's normal.  I just did a ps just now and got
26487 for Netscape.  That happens especially when you leave your box up
for a long time.  If there was an equivalent command in Windows, it
would never get that high because Windows crashes by that time.

Kevin Miller

my process id numbers are getting big

We men are always bragging about the size of our PID'S.