PPPD problem (dies waiting for PPPD to come up)

PPPD problem (dies waiting for PPPD to come up)

Post by kawaya.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I recently upgraded to Mandrake 7.1, and ran into a problem with PPPD.  I
am using a Lucent LT "Winmodem".  I know that its not the modem, because
I have had working  it before.  Here is a brief history and my problem:

---History---

        When I first started using Linux (a few months ago) I started with
Mandrake 7.0.  I had gotten the modem to dial, connect, and  handshake,
but it dies after that.  I went to a local users group meeting (NMLUG)
and was helped to get it to work.  I could then use KPPP to connect and
surf without problems.  Because of other problems I had to reinstall, and
the same problem came up.  I have not been able to get ahold of the
person who helped me at NMLUG, but got everything working (sort of)
following the directions at http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html.
The connecting was a bit of a pain, and it only worked about 1/3 of the
time.  I now upgraded to Mandrake 7.1, and the problem showed up again.
I would rather not go the manual route again if I can avoid it.

---Problem---

KPPP  --  When I use KPPP, it dials, connects, and does the handshake.
It then says it is logging onto the network, but dies saying that it
"timed out waiting for the PPPD to come up".  I tried lengthening the
timeout setting to longer, no help.  I have tried PAP, and CHAP (I
beleive that my ISP uses CHAP).  I have checked the /etc/ppp/options
file, and tried it empty, with and without "lock", with and without
"noauth", etc.  I also checked my pap and chap secret files along with
the resolv.conf file.  All appear to be correct.

KWvDial  --  When using KWvDial, the modem dials, connects, does the
handshake, and then starts PPPD.  At this point the phone connection
dies, but KWvDial thinks it is still connected.  The log file just shows
PPPD starting and nothing else.

Minicom  --  I can dial, connect, and do handshake.  I am asked for my
logon and password, and can give them without problems.  My ISP sends a
greeting with an IP address, but I can't surf.

I would like to connect with KPPP or Wvdial (or the like).  I know it can
work (it did before), but I don't know enough to get it working.  I have
seen a lot of other postings with this (or a similar) problem, but can't
find a answer that works.  Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

PPPD problem (dies waiting for PPPD to come up)

Post by The Oa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Might be DNS problem. In DrakConf, go to "Network Configuration", then on
"Client tasks" tab, click on "Name server specification (DNS)". Put the DNS
#'s given to you by your ISP, and make sure "DNS required for normal
operation" checkbox is checked. Also make sure that "Routing and gateways"
button does not have a default set up. Then restart network daemon with
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart.

Hope this helps.

> I recently upgraded to Mandrake 7.1, and ran into a problem with PPPD.  I
> am using a Lucent LT "Winmodem".  I know that its not the modem, because
> I have had working  it before.  Here is a brief history and my problem:

> ---History---

>         When I first started using Linux (a few months ago) I started with
> Mandrake 7.0.  I had gotten the modem to dial, connect, and  handshake,
> but it dies after that.  I went to a local users group meeting (NMLUG)
> and was helped to get it to work.  I could then use KPPP to connect and
> surf without problems.  Because of other problems I had to reinstall, and
> the same problem came up.  I have not been able to get ahold of the
> person who helped me at NMLUG, but got everything working (sort of)
> following the directions at http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html.
> The connecting was a bit of a pain, and it only worked about 1/3 of the
> time.  I now upgraded to Mandrake 7.1, and the problem showed up again.
> I would rather not go the manual route again if I can avoid it.

> ---Problem---

> KPPP  --  When I use KPPP, it dials, connects, and does the handshake.
> It then says it is logging onto the network, but dies saying that it
> "timed out waiting for the PPPD to come up".  I tried lengthening the
> timeout setting to longer, no help.  I have tried PAP, and CHAP (I
> beleive that my ISP uses CHAP).  I have checked the /etc/ppp/options
> file, and tried it empty, with and without "lock", with and without
> "noauth", etc.  I also checked my pap and chap secret files along with
> the resolv.conf file.  All appear to be correct.

> KWvDial  --  When using KWvDial, the modem dials, connects, does the
> handshake, and then starts PPPD.  At this point the phone connection
> dies, but KWvDial thinks it is still connected.  The log file just shows
> PPPD starting and nothing else.

> Minicom  --  I can dial, connect, and do handshake.  I am asked for my
> logon and password, and can give them without problems.  My ISP sends a
> greeting with an IP address, but I can't surf.

> I would like to connect with KPPP or Wvdial (or the like).  I know it can
> work (it did before), but I don't know enough to get it working.  I have
> seen a lot of other postings with this (or a similar) problem, but can't
> find a answer that works.  Any help would be great!

> Thanks in advance!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. pppd: The pppd daemon died unexpectedly.

I'm trying to connect to my ISP, but after the terminal screen
authentication, I received this error message: The pppd daemon died
unexpectedly.

Someone knows what have I to do?

Thanks.

--
       ,,,,
      ( .. )
  |  FelipeMC  |  http://welcome.to/felipemc
  +------------+

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. is there a linux running on jvm arch ?

3. OpenSuse 11.1 Kinternet error: "pppd[0] died: pppd options error (exit code 2)

4. fftmorse

5. pppd dies while waiting for the interface to come up

6. USB to Serial converter question...

7. problems with pppd-2.2.0c param in pppd-2.3.5

8. 1.1.83 crash-report

9. pppd problems------------>One answer and maybe some help---- - pppd answers.ZIP (1/1)

10. yet another newbie with pppd script problem - pppd response.txt (0/1)

11. pppd problems------------>One answer and maybe some help---- - pppd answers.ZIP (0/1)

12. PPP problem: pppd-2.2 vs. pppd-2.3

13. Problem with PPPoE after i connect pppd dies.