How can I recall my linux after re-install win98?

How can I recall my linux after re-install win98?

Post by David . » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> How can I boot to linux instead of re-install the whole box after
> re-install win98? I could not get the lilo prompt.

Use the boot disk you made during the installation of linux.

Or you can use the installation boot disk and at the prompt enter:

rescue

ID # 123538

Post by Prasanth A. Kum » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> How can I boot to linux instead of re-install the whole box after
> re-install win98? I could not get the lilo prompt.

Use a rescue disk or in the worse case, try any install disk but pass
the argument 'root=/dev/hd?' in lilo with the appropriate drive
name.

--
Prasanth Kumar

How can I recall my linux after re-install win98?

Post by sven » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You should have made a linux boot-disk during your first
linux-installation.
Boot linux from the disk and open the file /etc/lilo.conf and add the
win-system....   maybe like this:

images=/boot/vmlinuz    ...your kernel instead
label=linux
root=/dev/hda1   ...your boot partition
read-only

other =/dev/hda2    ...your win-partition
label=win98   ...or whatever (nonsens bullshit maybethelastdos)
table = /dev/hda

after configuring the lilo.conf switch to a prompt and write "lilo"
lilo will be writen back to the master boot record from where windows
has removed it

now it should work

Quote:> How can I boot to linux instead of re-install the whole box after
> re-install win98? I could not get the lilo prompt.

1. how to re-install after an install?

  Hi,

   I just successfully installed LinuxPPC 4.1 on my 7200 at home.   I split
my 9g drive into 2 mac and 5 linux partitions.  After the install and playing
around a bit I realized I wanted to change the partition sizes of both the
mac and linux partitions.  How to do this easily?  MacOS does not "see"
the linux partitions (at the least the Finder doesn't, haven't tried
Drive Setup).  I'd like to use Drive Setup again to set up the partitions, then
do a complete re-install of Linux.

Thanks for any info.

--
Jason Perez                       | "Frodo Lives!"       "Gig 'em!"
Austin, TX

2. Wanted: Linux XWin XConfig for 15" CS and ATI UP

3. re-install on top of existing install

4. Unmounting root

5. How to re-install windows whithout spoiling Linux

6. WTB: BOCA 2016

7. Backup and re-install Linux

8. Why does my KDE run like a dog

9. Solaris 7 won't re-install after Linux

10. Move Linux from Drive 1 to Drive 2 without re-install ??

11. Problem to re-install NT after deleting Linux

12. Cannot re-install linux?

13. How to re-install Linux Slackware 3.0