1. DEC 21*40 SMC EtherPower 8432 PCI newer card supported?
I've been getting many inquiries into the question of whether or not the SMC
8432 Etherpower PCI card is supported?
The answer is YES and maybe no.
Here's what I would do if you're looking to use this card or have a card and
can't get it to work.
1.) Check out the big chip from Digital on the card. It will say
something like, Digital ... 21040 or 21041, this is very important to
verfiy. If it's the 21041 See step 4. If it's the older 21040 you're in
luck, See step 2.
2.) Read the ETHERNET HOWTO section on DEC 21040, 21140, Tulip
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.14 and then
look at alpha drivers section
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-9.html#alfa and go to
Don's Linux Homepage and download the latest tulip.c drivers for your
kernel 1.2 or 1.3.
3.) Make sure to edit your config.in and rebuild/install the kernel and
you're done. You should see the card be recognized during startup. If
not, double check the /usr/adm/messages file. If you still have
problems, you can contact me, but please read all the necessary material
before doing so.
4.) The DEC21041 is a new chip. I noticed this when I got a new card to
replace my older one and I couldn't get the tulip.c driver to work anymore
under 1.2.13. Donald Becker knows of this problem and will hopefully be
kind and write an updated driver for the new chip. In the mean time, I've
had success in using the DEC4x5 driver as described in the ETHERNET HOWTO
section on DEC 21040, 21140, Tulip
I have not yet tried the card under 1.3.33. I will be attempting this
later this week.
I will set up a html doc with any information regarding what I find out
later this week.
Greg Siekas Graduate
Department of Biomedical Engineering Tulane University
2. Problem with DELL XPS R400 and IBM disk
3. SMC EtherPower 8432 (PCI) problems
4. konqueror (kde 2.2.1) browser font changing no longer working
5. SMC EtherPower 8432 BT , PCI ????? URGENT !
6. CyberAladdin Display Drivers
7. x86 SMC EtherPower 8432 support?
8. NE2000 Problems! Help!
9. SMC 8432 PCI Card
10. SMC 8432 PCI ethernet card
11. Linux setup with SMC EtherPower 8432
12. SMC 8432 PCI Ethernet on SCO 3.2 v4.2
13. Dnet driver (x86) can't find SMC 8432 PCI network adapter, why?