newbie: mouse setup: I am forced to re-plug the mouse

newbie: mouse setup: I am forced to re-plug the mouse

Post by Serge Winitzk » Sun, 29 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have the following problem with the mouse. Running RedHat 4.2 with
gpm, serial logitech mouse, tried both microsoft and mouseman protocols.
I do not get the mouse cursor after booting. However, unplugging the
mouse and plugging it back again gives instant results, the gpm mouse
cursor appears. The same happens with running X. After I startx, the
mouse cursor freezes in the middle of the screen. After re-plugging the
mouse it works perfectly although it thinks I initially pressed the
middle button. However, switching to a text console and back to X kills
the mouse again and I have to re-plug it again. So it seems that there
is some small mistake in the setup. I used automatic setup, mouseconfig
and X setup.

I would appreciate help on this.

--
Serge A. Winitzki                          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8926

================= Not a University, but a Multiversity!
=======================

newbie: mouse setup: I am forced to re-plug the mouse

Post by User » Mon, 30 Jun 1997 04:00:00

The status now is the following: I used gpm to convert the mouse to
mousesystems and now the mouse works with X, but initially I do have to
re-plug it. After one replugging, the mouse works all the time, even
with switching to text consoles and back. I don't have the manual for
the mouse, but is it just that I have to press some mouse buttons when
booting?

Post by Geoff Sho » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: The status now is the following: I used gpm to convert the mouse to
: mousesystems and now the mouse works with X, but initially I do have to
: re-plug it. After one replugging, the mouse works all the time, even
: with switching to text consoles and back. I don't have the manual for
: the mouse, but is it just that I have to press some mouse buttons when
: booting?

Solutions to your problem are to be found in the 3 Button Serial mouse
mini-HOWTO, at your local sunsite mirror or direct from :

        http://kipper.york.ac.uk/mouse.html

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

1. Determining whether USB mouse is plugged in ./ Using two mice

I just got my USB mouse going with my VAIO.  However, in order to use
it under X, I have to re-symlink /dev/mouse to point to it.

Two questions ...

Is it possible to get X to look at both /dev/psaux and
/dev/input/mouse0 at the same time?  I can use both the USB mouse and
touchpad at the same time under that OS that starts with W :-).

If not, is it possible to determine whether a given USB device is
actually plugged in? If so I can change my customised X startup script
to determine whether it's there and symlink /dev/mouse appropriately.

TIA

2. startx fails after reinstalling kde2.1.1 in SuSE 7.1

3. Telling if USB mouse is plugged in / Using two mice

4. Need your thoughts on the Kernel Projects for Linux book

5. Telling whether USB mouse is plugged in / Using two mice

6. ESC . in bash with vi-mode

7. OpenBSD 2.9: can't see network until I unplug/re-plug the network cable

8. Q: Good learning documents for SCSI device drivers

9. Mouse Systems PC Mouse 3D/6D Bus Mouse driver?

10. CDE & MOUSE: *must* disable "pasting" via-mouse (GD MFing ShEing MOUSE!)

11. Mouse, Mouse Mouse! Help!

12. Newbie question: how to set 'active mouse follow mouse'?

13. ATI Graphics Ultra / Mouse Setup Problem with Caldera 1.3 - Newbie