Linux on a Dell Dimension or Optiplex?

Post by Lynch Dav » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Is anyone out there running Linux on either a Dell Dimension XPS or
a Dell Optiplex Pentium configuration?  I am about to upgrade, and
I am looking at these two systems.

All comments/suggestions welcome

-*
--
 /-------------------------------------------------------------------------\

* Sterling Software, ITD, Inc.       |                                      *
* Software Engineer/Network Admin    |                                      *
 \-------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Post by Mel Astiller » Sun, 16 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Is anyone out there running Linux on either a Dell Dimension XPS or
>a Dell Optiplex Pentium configuration?  I am about to upgrade, and
>I am looking at these two systems.

I have it running on a Dell Dimension XPS P90 system I purchased July last
year. Pretty fast and no problems so far. I have X Windows running and full
Internet connectivity via dial-up PPP. My graphics card is a #9GXE64Pro but the
Dell systems currently available might have a different one. I've read postings
about bundled #9 cards not yet supported in X. You might want to check on that.

--
Mel Astillero
"Linux - a Unix Operating System, born and raised in *space!"

1. Dell Dimension or Optiplex?

: For my purposes, is there a reason to prefer an Optiplex over
: a Dimension?  I have read that the difference between the two
: is that Dell builds Optiplexes with a "standardization of key
: components", and I wonder if someone could elaborate on this.

Don't know, but FWIW my Optiplex came with NT pre-installed, which was no
good since I wanted a dual boot Win 95 and NT4 setup, and so had to
install 95 first.  For some reason Win 95 could not deal with the master
boot record on the disk, and I wound up having to write a short assembler
language program just to wipe the boot sector clean.

I'm happy with the Optiplex Gs.  It's a reliable, fast, quiet machine.

-- Rod

2. WANTED: Patches for 1.1.9x

3. Install SSH in solaris 8

4. Need Xconfig for Compaq Deskpro XE560, Dell 486, & Dell Optiplex XL590

5. Kornshell Doc

6. Dimension or Optiplex?

7. Experiences w/ KDE 2

8. problem with linux installation on Dell optiplex GX1p

9. Linux On Dell Dimension XPS R450

10. problem running X in linux on DELL Dimension Pro200n

11. Linux on DELL Dimension?

12. Dell Optiplex 110 or Call Linux