RH 5 trouble during installation

Post by Keyser Soz » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

When I try to install RH 5 on my second hard drive with one 32mb swap and
the rest for root (about 1.5gig) I get funny messages during package
installations. The messages say things like "script failure" "Or directory
doesnt exist" and then it ends up giving me a fatal error and I cant do
anything but reboot. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Jason Livingston

Post by Tom Hine » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> When I try to install RH 5 on my second hard drive with one 32mb swap and
> the rest for root (about 1.5gig) I get funny messages during package
> installations. The messages say things like "script failure" "Or directory
> doesnt exist" and then it ends up giving me a fatal error and I cant do
> anything but reboot. Does anyone know what the problem is?

> Jason Livingston

I believe root has to be on the first hard drive under cylinder 1024.

I have the same problem, but I only have one hard drive. I got all those
errors, too. I'm still waiting for help. Good luck.

--
Tom

Post by Jim Harri » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > When I try to install RH 5 on my second hard drive with one 32mb swap and
> > the rest for root (about 1.5gig) I get funny messages during package
> > installations. The messages say things like "script failure" "Or directory
> > doesnt exist" and then it ends up giving me a fatal error and I cant do
> > anything but reboot. Does anyone know what the problem is?

> > Jason Livingston

> I believe root has to be on the first hard drive under cylinder 1024.

> I have the same problem, but I only have one hard drive. I got all those
> errors, too. I'm still waiting for help. Good luck.

If you can believe the RH5 "install" book, it says that the boot has to
be on SCSI devices 0 or 1.  It is possible to have a "boot" scsi device
that is not 0 or 1, if it is the first one found.  (i.e. you could have
only one drive, id-3, that DOS would boot off of fine, but Linux would
be hozed on.  Check drive address.

Write back & tell us what happened.

1. RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Hello;

I downloaded CD 1,2,3 from RH ftp site.
Burned the CD's ok.
Next, I rebooted the PC and put CD 1 in.
Next, I did the media check on all the three CD's and everything passed.
Next I went through the installation. Asked to install everything.
Next, it finished CD1 and asked me to enter CD2. I did. Then it started
installing packages from CD2 ok. after few minutes and number of packages
installed, the whole thing hanged. I waited and waited and nothing is
changing and no more packages are being installed. the system is froze.

I rebooted and tried again. The same thing happened.

Next, I rebooted and did not select everything, but selected small number
of pckages. Again CD2 was read, but this time it did not hang, since now
very small number of package was being read.

So, the installation now completed OK.

I boot into the system, go to root and select 'packages' under 'system tools'
from the main menu. I now select all the packages that I did not select
during installation.

It asks me to insert CD1, it starts reading the packages, and now the
whole system hangs again (it happened to be reading the gcc package, but
that is just by chance). The system freezes. the mouse does not move.

my PC is a new PC. 2 CPU (I select smp when booting). It is ZEON, 2.4 GHZ,
mother board is supermicro MBD-P4DME. This PC have no HW problem, I run windoz
OK on it for 4 months now.

kernel is 'Linux 2.4.18-14smp' (the one that comes with RH 8, I did not
recompile or build anything new).

CDROM is YAMAHA CRW2200E (CD/RW).

has anyone else has similar problems?
What do you think can be wrong?
where else to look for possible problem?

2. libc 4.5.24???

3. Upgrade Mandrake 7.1 to RH 7.2 - Trouble initializing during quota check

4. Installing Xfree 4.1 over RedHat 6.1

5. Trouble during installation of the AWE32 driver

6. Linux compatible SMP motherboard, reviewed

7. Trouble with Mitsumi cd during installation

8. GNU c++ compiler

9. Trouble finding SCSI CDROM during installation

10. Mount trouble during installation, ...

11. RH halts during Installation!!!

12. Network Woes during RH Installation

13. RH 5.2 - LILO won't install during Linux installation.