Problems installing Slackware96 on IBM Thinkpad 560

Problems installing Slackware96 on IBM Thinkpad 560

Post by Michael Francis Brantl » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I recently downloaded the Slackware Linux 3.1.0 (Slackware96) distribution
for installation on an IBM Thinkpad 560.  Unfortunately, while booting from
the "scsinet" or "net" boot disks, the machine reboots immediately after
displaying the "loading ramdisk......" message.  I then tried using the
"floppy=thinkpad" and "hd=787,32,63" arguments to "ramdisk" on the boot
prompt with no success.

I happened to have an old set of Linux boot disks around from Slackware
2.1.0 so I tried to boot off of them ... and it worked !  I went ahead
and used the 2.1.0 boot floppies to install the 3.1.0 distribution.
Everything went smoothly and I thought I was home free until I discovered
that I had the same problem booting from the new 3.1.0 installation - the
machine reboots immediately after displaying the "loading ramdisk" message.

Has anyone else seen and/or solved this problem ?  Any ideas on how I might
go about finding more information about what's going wrong ?

Many thanks in advance - if possible, please send responses via email
as well as posting to this newsgroup.
--
Michael Brantley
Guest of the Department of Computer Science

Post by Jay Thorn » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I recently downloaded the Slackware Linux 3.1.0 (Slackware96)
> Has anyone else seen and/or solved this problem ?  Any ideas on how I might
> go about finding more information about what's going wrong ?

> Many thanks in advance - if possible, please send responses via email
> as well as posting to this newsgroup.

I've had the "immediate reboot" problem on my slackware 2.2 system many times.
It seems that lilo is "funny" sometimes.  I don't know how _exactly_ to fix it
but I'll tell you what worked for me:

# lilo -v -v; lilo -v -v; sync; sync ; sync;

Seems that the disk caching may or may not be an issue with writing MBR.

Voodoo solution follows:

Anyway, whenever I upgrade versions or fix problems that involve new kernels,
I do that command to "Wave a dead chicken over it" and then I turn around 3 times
to the left, just to make sure :)

--
Jay Thorne                http://net.result.com/
President, The Net Result Systems * Services  Telephone:(604) 220 2504

1. 5.1 on IBM Thinkpad 560 and IBM CDROM

I am trying to install RH 5.1 and I cannot get the installation
program to detect my CDROM. When I tell the program that the
media is on CDROM the CDROM driver reacts by starting to spin,
but then I get a question asking whether it is an 'SCSI' or 'other'
and all alternatives I try end up with no device found.

The CDROM driver is an IBM 1969011 with an IDE PCMCIA interface.

I have tried the boot options:
        linux hdX=cdrom    (X from a to d)
with no effect.

If anyone has a clue what I should try I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
        Tomas.

2. Can' Mount Drive

3. Problem with IBM Thinkpad 560 and Raven PCMCIA CD-ROM

4. Simple (hopefully) Problems

5. IBM ThinkPad 560 problem with startx

6. isdnd consuming cpu time

7. install problem on ibm thinkpad 755c and slackware96

8. Help cant get a internel modem to work

9. Linux on a IBM ThinkPad 560

10. IBM Thinkpad 560 and X

11. Newbie: IBM Thinkpad 560 and Xfree86 3.2

12. THINKPAD IBM 560 APM

13. Linux on IBM Thinkpad 560?