Newbie question: Configuring LILO's default setting

Newbie question: Configuring LILO's default setting

Post by Neville Greylin » Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I've set up LILO in such a way that Linux Red Hat 5.0 loads by default.
If I want to start Windows 98 I have to type win98.

How can I change the default operating system to be Windows 98 and how do i
change the timeout ?

Post by James Rasmusse » Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I've set up LILO in such a way that Linux Red Hat 5.0 loads by default.
> If I want to start Windows 98 I have to type win98.

> How can I change the default operating system to be Windows 98 and how do i
> change the timeout ?

That's easy.  Go to /etc/lilo.conf and move the 'other' section to be infromt
of the 'image' section.  For example, my lilo.conf files looks like this:

boot=/dev/hda
prompt
timeout=50
other=/dev/hda1
   label=win95
   table=/dev/hda
images=/vmlinuz
   root=/dev/hdb1
   label=Linux

This will give me 5 seconds to type in which system I want, but since the
'other=' section is first in the list, then lilo starts running my Windows 95
after the 5 seconds of waiting at the prompt.

Don't forget to rerun /sbin/lilo after you modify your lilo.conf file.

Hope this helps....Good Luck.

--James Rasmussen

Newbie question: Configuring LILO's default setting

Post by James Rasmusse » Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> >  how do i
> > change the timeout ?

See my previous message with my example lilo.conf file.  See the line
'timeout=50'?  Change that value to the number of seconds you want to wait and
multiply it by 10.  In my case 50 gives me 5 seconds, 100 gives 10 seconds.

Good Luck Again,
--James Rasmussen

Post by Me Agai » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>I've set up LILO in such a way that Linux Red Hat 5.0 loads by default.
>If I want to start Windows 98 I have to type win98.

>How can I change the default operating system to be Windows 98 and how do i
>change the timeout ?

Edit /etc/lilo.conf and swap have your Windows 98 entry before your linux one

Regards

Mark
            We are Pentium of Borg - You will be approximated

http://www.wheely.demon.co.uk (As if I ever update this page!)

1. Newbie question: setting default color depth

I'm using SuSE 5.2 and X 3.3.2 with a Diamond Fire GL 1000 video card.  I've got
that all set up and working, no problem. However, I can only get X to display 8
bit color.  In /etc/XF86Config there are a bunch of "Screen" sections -- I
commented out all but the one that uses the appropriate device and server for my
card. I inserted "DefaultColorDepth 24" in the Section, and there is a
"SubSection "Display"" for 24-bit depth; what else do I have to do? I'm using
xdm, so I don't know how to get it to do the same thing that "startx -- -bpp 24"
would do.  Can anyone give me some hints?

http://www.aracnet.com/~bnewman "A small bullet, a piece of glass /  And your
heart just grows around it" -- Laurie Anderson, "Poison"

2. IGS (InteGraphics Systems) video +MPEG

3. newbie question: setting up default window manager?

4. Process redirection

5. Newbie question: how to set 'active mouse follow mouse'?

6. Future Domain 1670 card query

7. Question newbie ' how to set up a interface card on SOlaris 10'

8. 2.5.7-dj2 remove global semaphore_lock spin lock.

9. Newbie question: Where's the mouse on COM2 when I configure X?

10. Newbie LILO question (it's real easy)

11. Configuring LILO to DOS as default?

12. Can't install LILO, can't configure video

13. RH7.2: KDE 2.2.1: Set default paper size to 'US-Letter'