help... U.S. Robotics x2 internal modem...

help... U.S. Robotics x2 internal modem...

Post by Ben » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

has anyone successfully installed this modem??? I'm running kernel 2.0.33
under RH 5.0... i set my modem to com2 and irq3 and have run minicom -s to
try and configure it... when i thought i had set it all up i tired to
connect... and it won't talk to my modem... it says that it is initializing
modem... and when that clears on the screen in the bottome right hand corner
it says that it is disconnected... can anyone help or reccomend a driver for
this modem???
thanks in advance

Post by Larry Min » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: has anyone successfully installed this modem??? I'm running kernel 2.0.33
: under RH 5.0... i set my modem to com2 and irq3 and have run minicom -s to
: try and configure it... when i thought i had set it all up i tired to
: connect... and it won't talk to my modem... it says that it is initializing
: modem... and when that clears on the screen in the bottome right hand corner
: it says that it is disconnected... can anyone help or reccomend a driver for
: this modem???

First question, is the modem a WinModem or not?  If it is a WinModem, you can
forget *ever* using it under anything but Windows 3.1 or Windows 95/98.

Larry

Post by Bayard R. Coolidg » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: has anyone successfully installed this modem??? I'm running kernel
: 2.0.33 under RH 5.0... i set my modem to com2 and irq3 and have run
: minicom -s to try and configure it... when i thought i had set it
: all up i tired to connect... and it won't talk to my modem... it says
: that it is initializing modem... and when that clears on the screen
: in the bottome right hand corner it says that it is disconnected...
: can anyone help or reccomend a driver for this modem???

Assuming it's not a "Winmodem" (which will never work), have you run
the isapnp tool? You will need to do this to "turn on" the board. The
isapnp man pages describe the process in great detail. The other catch
is to make very sure that you do not attempt to share an interrupt
with any other devices on your system. Yes, it was legal in the past,
under MSDOS. It is not in a PnP environment, so you will need to
select IRQ's and so forth that are unique to your system to avoid
conflicts. This can be very tricky if you have a Soundblaster and
built-in serial line connections, etc.

Bayard R. Coolidge      N1HO    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are
Digital Equipment Corp.         solely those of the author, and not
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA      those of Digital Equipment Corporation
coolidgeatzk3dotdecdotcom            nor any other entity.
    "Brake for Moose - It can save your life" - N.H. Fish & Game Dept.

Post by Paul Buny » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> : has anyone successfully installed this modem??? I'm running kernel
> : 2.0.33 under RH 5.0... i set my modem to com2 and irq3 and have run
> : minicom -s to try and configure it... when i thought i had set it
> : all up i tired to connect... and it won't talk to my modem... it says
> : that it is initializing modem... and when that clears on the screen
> : in the bottome right hand corner it says that it is disconnected...
> : can anyone help or reccomend a driver for this modem???

I have another problem with this modem, maybe someone can help me. I
have two USRs: 14,400 and 56K. Both are standard ISA devices, nothing
tricky. My PPP setup works great for 14,400 and I can dial-in with
minicom, no problem. Both modems are in factory default settings, and
according to the manual these seems to be the same.

Now I set up 56K one for the same IRQ and port, plug it in and try to
connect (say, with minicom). I can connect successfully, answer login:
and password: for the dial-up host, connect to my computer in office,
enter its login: and password:, get prompt, but as soon as a command I
enter produce more than couple lines of output, everything hangs
up. Modem keeps whistling (if I ask to keep speaker on after
connection), but data does not come through. It happens only in ARQ
mode, but without ARQ I have too much noise to work anyway. Of course
PPP connection does not come up at all.

It happens on all connection speeds, including 14,400 (which works
fine with other modem) and below.

Any ideas/suggestions? Do you think I've got a defective 56K modem? Is
its ARQ algorithm different from the old one and it breaks on noisy
line? (well, it is not even that noisy, with 14,400 I could have a
pretty decent connection).

So I returned back to 14,400 speed and waiting for any suggestions
what can I try with 56K one next.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Paul

--
  ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._   UNIX *is* user-friendly, he is just very
   `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`) picky about who his friends are...

Post by Robert Ruedisuel » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > : has anyone successfully installed this modem??? I'm running kernel
> > : 2.0.33 under RH 5.0... i set my modem to com2 and irq3 and have run
> > : minicom -s to try and configure it... when i thought i had set it
> > : all up i tired to connect... and it won't talk to my modem... it says
> > : that it is initializing modem... and when that clears on the screen
> > : in the bottome right hand corner it says that it is disconnected...
> > : can anyone help or reccomend a driver for this modem???

> I have another problem with this modem, maybe someone can help me. I
> have two USRs: 14,400 and 56K. Both are standard ISA devices, nothing
> tricky. My PPP setup works great for 14,400 and I can dial-in with
> minicom, no problem. Both modems are in factory default settings, and
> according to the manual these seems to be the same.

> Now I set up 56K one for the same IRQ and port, plug it in and try to
> connect (say, with minicom). I can connect successfully, answer login:
> and password: for the dial-up host, connect to my computer in office,
> enter its login: and password:, get prompt, but as soon as a command I
> enter produce more than couple lines of output, everything hangs
> up. Modem keeps whistling (if I ask to keep speaker on after
> connection), but data does not come through. It happens only in ARQ
> mode, but without ARQ I have too much noise to work anyway. Of course
> PPP connection does not come up at all.

> It happens on all connection speeds, including 14,400 (which works
> fine with other modem) and below.

> Any ideas/suggestions? Do you think I've got a defective 56K modem? Is
> its ARQ algorithm different from the old one and it breaks on noisy
> line? (well, it is not even that noisy, with 14,400 I could have a
> pretty decent connection).

> So I returned back to 14,400 speed and waiting for any suggestions
> what can I try with 56K one next.

> Thanks in advance for any help,

> Paul

> --
>   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._   UNIX *is* user-friendly, he is just very
>    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`) picky about who his friends are...
>    (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'      Paul Bunyk, Research Scientist
>  _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'art by           (and part-time UN*X sysadm)
> (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-' F. Lee http://pbunyk.physics.sunysb.edu/~paul

 I had a simular problem with my ppp-go script. There was a H0 command in
the script, when the correct command on a Sportster X2 is H1. (H1 picks up
H0 hangs up.)  Check your script for a H1 after the last H0.  That should
work.

I think those commands might be reversed on other modems, or the H1 is
assumed in ATDT command string.

Robert Ruedisueli

1. Internal US Robotics X2 Modem help . . .

I am running Solaris 7 x86 and am having trouble making either uucp or
PPP dial.  However, I can use either tip or cu and complete a manual
ASCII dial out.  When I use
Uutry the modem never responds to the initialization string.  I have
tried the following strings from the /etc/uucp/Dialers file ( hayes ,
usrv32-ec, and usrv32-nec).  I have also tried to hack a string that
will work.  But the problem seems to be that the modem is not receiving
the strings at all when sent from a program such as aspppd or Uutry.  I
would appreciate any ideas on the subject.
Thanks,
Dave

2. PPP question

3. Why my U.S. Robotics v.90/x2 external modem was too slow?

4. RPC: Locked task was scheduled !!!! - RPC help please

5. US Robotics 56k X2 FAX Modem external.

6. gateway 2000 4DX2-50V

7. US Robotics 56K x2 modem ... lousy compressed file throughput

8. MODEM STANDART ???

9. US Robotics Sportster modem/x2 upgrade and Linux

10. US Robotics x2 Modem Sweepstakes Links!

11. US robotics 56K Internal modem help !!

12. US Robotics MODEM Sportster 14.4 Internal

13. US Robotics 56k Voice (internal) modem under Suse Linux 7.2