Default Windows Manager

Post by Chad Bende » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have recently installed RH6.1.  I have been playing around with
different windows managers using the GNOME control center tool.  I seem
to have managed to change my default to FVWM2, and no matter what I do
with the tool can't get it back to something easier to configure.  I
remember seeing an earlier post on this, but can't find it right now.
If my memory is correct, it mentioned a file somewhere listing available
windows managers that RH uses when a user logs in.  From what it said,
the top entry in this file is the default manager.  Where is the file
located, and what is it called?  If I can find that I will give up on
the GUI widget and just manually do it.

I also have somewhat of a newbie question.  All of my previous UNIX
experience is with Solaris 2.4 & 2.7, and I have only been a user, not
an administrator.  So my accounts always had all sorts of nice files in
them that could be modified to do good things upon loging in (like
.cshrc, .login, .xinitrc, etc...).  I don't see any of these in my home
directory.  All I see is .bashrc.  But I have switched shells from bash
to tcsh.  So my question is, should I have those files in my home
directory, and if so are they things that I have to custom create
myself?   Currently I am just trying to permanently add things to my
path, but I can forsee other uses in the future.

Thanks
Chad

Post by Forrest Taylo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have recently installed RH6.1.  I have been playing around with
> different windows managers using the GNOME control center tool.  I seem
> to have managed to change my default to FVWM2, and no matter what I do
> with the tool can't get it back to something easier to configure.  I
> remember seeing an earlier post on this, but can't find it right now.
> If my memory is correct, it mentioned a file somewhere listing available
> windows managers that RH uses when a user logs in.  From what it said,
> the top entry in this file is the default manager.  Where is the file
> located, and what is it called?  If I can find that I will give up on
> the GUI widget and just manually do it.

> I also have somewhat of a newbie question.  All of my previous UNIX
> experience is with Solaris 2.4 & 2.7, and I have only been a user, not
> an administrator.  So my accounts always had all sorts of nice files in
> them that could be modified to do good things upon loging in (like
> .cshrc, .login, .xinitrc, etc...).  I don't see any of these in my home
> directory.  All I see is .bashrc.  But I have switched shells from bash
> to tcsh.  So my question is, should I have those files in my home
> directory, and if so are they things that I have to custom create
> myself?   Currently I am just trying to permanently add things to my
> path, but I can forsee other uses in the future.

> Thanks
> Chad

On my RedHat 6.0 I have a file called .Xclients-default.  You should be
able to pico (or whatever you want to use) and change it to read:

exec gnome-session

Forrest

Post by Michael Per » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I have recently installed RH6.1.  I have been playing around with
>different windows managers using the GNOME control center tool.  I seem
>to have managed to change my default to FVWM2, and no matter what I do
>with the tool can't get it back to something easier to configure.  I
>remember seeing an earlier post on this, but can't find it right now.
>If my memory is correct, it mentioned a file somewhere listing available
>windows managers that RH uses when a user logs in.  From what it said,
>the top entry in this file is the default manager.  Where is the file
>located, and what is it called?  If I can find that I will give up on
>the GUI widget and just manually do it.

>I also have somewhat of a newbie question.  All of my previous UNIX
>experience is with Solaris 2.4 & 2.7, and I have only been a user, not
>an administrator.  So my accounts always had all sorts of nice files in
>them that could be modified to do good things upon loging in (like
>.cshrc, .login, .xinitrc, etc...).  I don't see any of these in my home
>directory.  All I see is .bashrc.  But I have switched shells from bash
>to tcsh.  So my question is, should I have those files in my home
>directory, and if so are they things that I have to custom create
>myself?   Currently I am just trying to permanently add things to my
>path, but I can forsee other uses in the future.

>Thanks
>Chad

For the first one, open an xterm in fvwm2 and try issuing the command,
"switchdesk-gnome".  The .xinitrc file in redhat is stored I believe at
/etc/X11 now as a system-wide xinitrc file.  Try poking around in
directories under /etc.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

Post by Jan Schauman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have recently installed RH6.1.  I have been playing around with
> different windows managers using the GNOME control center tool.  I seem
> to have managed to change my default to FVWM2, and no matter what I do
> with the tool can't get it back to something easier to configure.  I
> remember seeing an earlier post on this, but can't find it right now.
> If my memory is correct, it mentioned a file somewhere listing available
> windows managers that RH uses when a user logs in.  From what it said,
> the top entry in this file is the default manager.  Where is the file
> located, and what is it called?  If I can find that I will give up on
> the GUI widget and just manually do it.

Create a file ".xsession" and enter the windowmanager command of your
choice (wmaker - WindowMaker; AfterStep - AfterStep; kwm -
K-WindowManager; gnome - GNOME etc.)

That should do the trick.

-Jan