RedHat 2.1 Install and new kernel build

Post by terry » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hello Group;

First I should explain that I have Yggdrasil Linux distribution running
just
fine, and does everything my child or I have attempted to do. FVWM is
configured ready to run, and works rather well ;-)

We also have have Slackware 3.0 running, pretty clean but there are
minor
annoyances that should have been caught by the slackware folk. FVWM is
barely functional :-(

RedHat 2.1 a different beast. Installed almost everything. Logged in
and attempted to build a new kernel. RedHat is using gcc 2.7.0 and
make zImage was dying on gcc internal compiler errors.

We even hit a kernal panic stating the a virtual memory request could
not
be completed.

The disk and swap space are fine, mke2fs -c , and mkswap -c returned no
errors.

Yggdrasil and Slackware both rebuild with no problem.

Terry L. Ridder

1. Building Ghostscript3.53 on my RedHat Linux 2.1

I think that the path to the X libraries is wrong in your Makefile.  The
standard location is /usr/X11R6/lib, not, from what I can deduce from the
info above, /usr/local/X/lib.

And, no, you do not need Motif.  libXt, libXext, and libX11 are standard X11
libraries.

David
--
+----------------------+--------------------------+-----------------------+

| 206 Adams Ave        | Home: (703)683-1599      |     LINUX INSIDE!     |
| Alexandria, VA 22301 | Work: (703)416-1240      |                       |
+----------------------+--------------------------+-----------------------+

2. XDM and dynamic ppp internet address

3. Re-building X with Redhat 2.1

4. ppp

5. Problem building system kernel using FreeBSD 2.1

6. RealAudio for Linux is coming

7. Announce: Kernel Build for 2.5, Release 2.1 is available

8. new user

9. how to build new kernel on RedHat 5.1 ??

10. trouble building an new redhat 5.1 kernel and modules

11. redhat 5.2 built new kernel, get unresolved symbols on boot

12. Help-A-Newbie(tm) RH 4.2: Configure/Build/Install new kernel always fails

13. Building and installing new kernel (?)