"core" files

Post by Jeff » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

Can anyone tell a linux newbie such as myself what a "core" file is?

I'm running Redhat 4.1 and I noticed one that resides in /root as well
as I noticed another that popped up in /user/X11R6/bin while I have been
config'ing X.

I assume these arent so good... the icon is a time bomb.

An additional question... has anyone here had success installing the
xview-clients RPM on the 4.1 distrubution of redhat? I havent been able
to get it to install via glint.

Thanks in advance for any and all info!

"core" files

Post by Marc Roede » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell a linux newbie such as myself what a "core" file is?

> to get it to install via glint.

> Thanks in advance for any and all info!

Assume, some app causes a segmentation fault. Every time this happens,
the system drops a core file, giving the programmer the chance to debub
the code. In almost every case, you can simply delete the core-file.

Bye Marc

"core" files

Post by Brian McCaule » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell a linux newbie such as myself what a "core" file is?

It's a crash dump.  An image of the virtual memory of a precess that
has died.  core files can be used with the de* to examine the
state of the process immediately prior to the crash.

 # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.veryComputer.com/~bam/

"core" files

Post by Jeroen Scha » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Can anyone tell a linux newbie such as myself what a "core" file is?

>I'm running Redhat 4.1 and I noticed one that resides in /root as well
>as I noticed another that popped up in /user/X11R6/bin while I have been
>config'ing X.

Someone has posted the answer to your question and probably won't repost it.

I'm not a linux hack, but for what it's worth:

Core is the memory of a process that couldn't quit clean. Memory code is
dumped for debugging etc, as for as i understand. Anyway, the only process
that dumps core on my box is midnight commander, handy for ftp'ing, and i do
'rm core' every time it happens. It only does occur when i've started a
process with mc as a shell and quit again. I guess it's a bug, but not
really *.

Anyway, it explains why your core can be found in any directory. Keep an eye
on the progs that dump it, core is quit big ('ls -l /proc/kcore' gives some
indication of that

Regards,

Jeroen

Quote:

>Thanks in advance for any and all info!

"core" files

Post by Jason Ear » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Can anyone tell a linux newbie such as myself what a "core" file is?

Core files are caused when a program exits incorrectly.  They are used for
debugging purposes.

Quote:> I'm running Redhat 4.1 and I noticed one that resides in /root as well
> as I noticed another that popped up in /user/X11R6/bin while I have been
> config'ing X.

> I assume these arent so good... the icon is a time bomb.

Yeah, they are not the type of thing that you want to be seeing on a
regular basis.  It is probably not the "right" thing to do, but I simply rm
the core file and see if it happens again.  If it happens again, then
you'll have a better idea as to why.

If I remember correctly RedHat 4.0 dumped core in the / directory if the
hostname wasn't set up correctly (sendmail was the culprit I believe) use
the netcfg tool in the redhat control-panel (startx as root) and set that
up.  The core dump that you got configuring X is another story.  If X works
fine, then things are probably good.  It is easy to do something goofy when
configuring X windows.

Quote:> An additional question... has anyone here had success installing the
> xview-clients RPM on the 4.1 distrubution of redhat? I havent been able
> to get it to install via glint.

You probably have a dependency problem.  RPM won't let you install a
package that needs another package unless that package is installed.  The
quickest way to find out if that is the case is to simply log in as root
and type:

rpm -Uvh /pathtopackage/packagename.rpm

You will have to change pathtopackage and packagename with the actual path
and package name, but this will tell you exactly what other packages you
need to install before you can install xview.  the path should be something
like /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/.

Quote:> Thanks in advance for any and all info!

My pleasure, hope this helps...

If you have any further questions about this feel free to email me.

--
Jason Earl

"Cheaper than the Psychic Friends Network."

1. How to read "core" file in Unix

+++++++ +++++++ +++++++ +++++++ +++++++ +++++++ +++++++ +++++++ +++++++

Subject: how to read the information in "core"

Date:    Fri, 26 Aug 94 07:23:36 EDT

Hi.       When the program goes wrong, the system generates a file "core".
do you know how to read the "core" file. I tried using 'ed' and 'cat', it does
not work.  I use Fortran at a DEC workstation.  Thanks in advance.

Jim

2. rshd.c (iruserok)

3. How to change name of "core" file ?

4. running Windows from Linux

5. how to stop "core" files being formed

6. pppstat error

7. Decipher "core" File

8. Screen password.

9. getting a "core" file of an existing process (gcore functionality)

10. ? " core " file

11. Are "core" files safe to remove?

12. How about getting information from "core" file?

13. Configuring name of "core" file?